FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a tip in case Abbott havent included a screen protector for the handset........ZAGG Invisable Shield for a mobile phone will give good protection as the screen protector sticks to whatever xurface its applied to.

Nice. Does it effect the touchscreen at all? I'm finding the up/down arrows more than a little fiddley to find the 'sweet spot' especially when inputting carbs. It's a shame you can't change the increments to 5g or even more obviously, make the buttons bigger. I'm a User Experience, User Interface designer and it's things like this that drive me up the wall. Maybe they'll roll out a software update, I can see that happening.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Nice. Does it effect the touchscreen at all? I'm finding the up/down arrows more than a little fiddley to find the 'sweet spot' especially when inputting carbs. It's a shame you can't change the increments to 5g or even more obviously, make the buttons bigger. I'm a User Experience, User Interface designer and it's things like this that drive me up the wall. Maybe they'll roll out a software update, I can see that happening.
I want to see this as an app on a non-apple smartphone where you can use the inbuilt NFC to do the same thing as the reader. It can't be that difficult to get the data off the sensor and build an app around it....

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

[Qhaven't ="Sideburnt, post: 668838, member: 74515"]Nice. Does it effect the touchscreen at all? I'm finding the up/down arrows more than a little fiddley to find the 'sweet spot' especially when inputting carbs. It's a shame you can't change the increments to 5g or even more obviously, make the buttons bigger. I'm a User Experience, User Interface designer and it's things like this that drive me up the wall. Maybe they'll roll out a software update, I can see that happening.[/QUOTE

I haven't got the Libre yet but I've just put part of a cut off piece of Zagg protector over a Freestyle Insulinx bg meter screen which is more or less like the Libre and is also touchscreen with the button at the bottom right. The Zagg hasnt affected the touchscreen on the Insulinx so presume the Libre should be the same.

Look on youtube on how to apply Zagg protectors

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a disposable system, designed and priced to recover development costs and to make a profit. Hence the less than premium components and build. I can live with its deficiencies at the price.

Long term, the sensors are over priced with the silly short 8 hour sensor data limit down to cost cutting (too little memory). That'll hurt their sales as, certainly from my perspective, I'll get everything I need from it in one month. After that it will be nice to have but finger pricking with free NHS sticks will do just fine.

1 sensor every 3 or 6 months will more than do me although it is a lovely 'security blanket'. Very interesting to see what individual foods do to me. not what I expected in some cases. Quinoa rocks!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's where I am - I want to glean the trend data and use it to better manage what I think I know, but beyond having gained that I'm not sure I'd be willing to fork out for the sensors as a regular thing. Once I know in detail how things work, why would I bother.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to see this as an app on a non-apple smartphone where you can use the inbuilt NFC to do the same thing as the reader. It can't be that difficult to get the data off the sensor and build an app around it....

My phone won't read do a BG otherwise I'd think about it. Easy enough to import the data to a spreadsheet though..

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

NFC has come a long way since the buggy Android 2.3 offering, it's been very surprising to see how much of a mess Apple has made of the technolgy on thier devices.

I would very much like to see this implemented but I'd be concerned about being caught short when my phone battery dies. Regardless, it would save the cost of a new reciever (£50). Glooko made large advances with signing up glucometer distributors to integrate thier support, alowing you to pick up readings via a cable. A company such as this would be advised to approach Abbott IMO.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't be surprised if Abbot have encrypted the sensor data with the scanner being required to access and decrypt it. Linked to the way you register sensor and scanner.together.

I'm more than happy with the raw data they provide and I have to carry the scanner to do BG tests anyway.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Press and hold :)

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't be surprised if Abbot have encrypted the sensor data with the scanner being required to access and decrypt it. Linked to the way you register sensor and scanner.together.

I'm more than happy with the raw data they provide and I have to carry the scanner to do BG tests anyway.
They use a semi locked ISO 15693 NFC Vicinity format, but you can still pick up the HEX data with an app such as NFC TagInfo from the Android Play store. I wouldn't like to be the one to crunch that into something readable though.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are quite man'ish. But If anyone is looking for a belt pouch to keep the reader in the 5.11 C5 PDA military case fits like a glove. I brought a black one to wear at my corporate job and a desert tan one for anything else.

Can I link to this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/5-11-Large-Smartphone-Case-Black/dp/B00965R8U0

I REALLY wish they'd come up with a silicone skin at launch or included a lanyard point on the thing. It's an expensive piece of equiment and I wanted to look after it as much as I would my phone.

I use this.... leftover from an old phone. I knew it would come in handy if I kept it long enough!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BLA...0&sr=8-4&keywords=blackberry+curve+8520+cover

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let us know how you get on please - I'm just wondering if there's any issues with the sensor/kit and planes?
Will do - I'm more concerned about setting off alarms going through security ;)
Might give Abbott a call to see if they have any intel.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will do - I'm more concerned about setting off alarms going through security ;)
Might give Abbott a call to see if they have any intel.

I hadn't even thought about setting off alarms, I was just wondering if the sensor would be affected by going through the airport scanners - they warn you not to have x-rays with the sensor attached, so I wondered whether it would be the same. I guess we might have to tell the airport staff we're wearing it and go into the manual checking queue. It'll be interesting to known what Abbotts say. I guess people with CGM or pumps probably deal with this already.

Smidge

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't even thought about setting off alarms, I was just wondering if the sensor would be affected by going through the airport scanners - they warn you not to have x-rays with the sensor attached, so I wondered whether it would be the same. I guess we might have to tell the airport staff we're wearing it and go into the manual checking queue. It'll be interesting to known what Abbotts say. I guess people with CGM or pumps probably deal with this already.

Smidge
I don't think we get x-rayed (our luggage does) but we have to go through the metal detector. I have a knack of setting those off and am quite familiar with the pat-down and shoes-off routine.

redrevis

The manual says:
IMG_1239 (Large).JPG
I'd have guessed if any airport security systems posed a risk they'd be mentioned here. But just letting them know and getting a pad down sounds like the most sensible option.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Pumps can't go through the new body scanners so this doesn't. Pose any additional problems for pumpers