FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been a Libre user for nearly 2 weeks .. 1st sensor has been extremely accurate. Been T1 28 yrs and tested BG's on average 6 times daily.. This device has totally transformed my whole understanding of how my body reacts to my humalog (via pump )..it's been good as gold so far . I work in the construction trade and am very active so being able to see an approaching low and make adjustments to bolus and basal has been a big success .

Reactions: 4 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same as others here. Even with the issues I am just about to order another couple of sensors as this device has helped me lots.

Regarding the 0500 number I believe this is charged the same as an 0800 number.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
, interstitial values are delayed (historic) compared to BG tests ... when your glucose levels increase BG values will seemingly race away from scan (interstitial) values. Then your BG will peak, start to drop and can actually go lower than your scan values. Draw two identical bell curves, one starting 30 mninutes after the other and you will see exactly what I mean.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Historic = delayed, and the two bell curves. Thank you!

Lucy

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sorry to hear that a lot of people are having problems. I did have a few to start with but now things are much better!

I have just reached day 13 of my first sensor. I had my first starter pack replaced by Abbot because it wouldn't scan.
Since then I have been really happy with my experience and would love to continue to use it full time.
I will just use one sensor a month and hope it becomes available on prescription soon. It is too expensive for me to use full time.

I have been amazed by the information it provides and have been able to make several changes to my basals to stave off overnight lows that I wasn't even aware of! In result I am sleeping much better.
The scan results have mostly been within a couple of of points of my finger prick results except for the first day or so. So I have only been finger pricking to give meal boluses and before driving for the last week.
I love the freedom of being able to swipe and scan whenever I want to. The sensor stayed firmly stuck for two weeks without me sticking anything over it. I haven't been swimming or done anything very sporty so can't comment on that.

So from me it is a thumbs up.

Reactions: 4 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious, at what price would you guys consider using the system full-time?

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I was looking through my Libre reports and came across a very high rise at about 5.30am one morning.

46gDiJO.jpg

I remembered that this had occurred after having a curry at 11.00pm the previous night with rice which I had bolused for prior to eating.
I always thought I was ok with rice and a scan 2 hours after the meal at 1.00am confirmed that my bolus calculation had been correct and I'd successfully circumvented any spike.
BUT LOOK WHAT HAPPENED FROM 2.15am :facepalm:
I woke at 5.30am - maybe bebause of the rising sugars - and gave myself some more insulin which stopped the rise.

If I had forgotten what I had eaten the night before I'd have no idea what caused the rise.
Until now I haven't made use of the notes facility in the software which allows you to add 6 new notes to the reader. I am now adding the following:

Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Bread/Cake
Hi-Fat
Lo-Fat

If I now have a meal consisting of potatoes and bread I can tick these and also if it was a hi or low fat meal (I think that the fat (oil) in the curry is what caused the delayed rise in sugars) and have a much better idea of how and more importantly when different foods affect me.

Are you using the notes facility?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Quick question for anyone using a mac. Have you been able to install the software? Mine won't accept the signature. We are on OS X Mavericks.

On an unrelated note, I've discovered that protein shakes increase my bg levels as my body converts the protein to glucose when I don't need it!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question for anyone using a mac. Have you been able to install the software? Mine won't accept the signature. We are on OS X Mavericks.

On an unrelated note, I've discovered that protein shakes increase my bg levels as my body converts the protein to glucose when I don't need it!
It's working fine here in Mavericks.

You probably need to look in the Security settings in System Preferences to allow unsigned apps to run.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 16.36.56.png

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

On a low-carb diet, I have to bolus for protein at around 50%. You might need to experiment to see what your percentage is. I also try to keep my protein intake to around 15% of my calories to ensure consistent results.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's giving me great insights too. My ultimate aim is to have a chart looking like yours. Mine looks more like a mountain range.
Mine was a mountain range when I first came here two and a half years ago. There is a lot of good advice from the folks here.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As an interested bystander - I started reading through the whole thread but the sun was up and now it has gone dark - most of the comparison seems to be between finger prick and arm interstitial readings.

Now my meter gives the option of testing at alternate sites such as the lower and upper arm.
https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-monitoring/alternate-site-testing.html
says
"
Alternate site testing should only be used when blood sugar is stable:

• Immediately before a meal
  • When fasting
  • Near bedtime
Always check from your fingertip, however, when blood sugar may be changing:

• Following a meal, when blood sugar is rising quickly
  • After exercise
  • Whenever you think your blood sugar might be low or falling
"
Which suggests that lancet testing of the arm is likely to lag behind finger pricks.
So has anyone tried to arm prick (preferably near the site of the sensor) to see how close the sensor is to the arm prick reading?

Just wondering if the difference in readings is a sensor thing or an arm thing.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. I watched a couple of the videos and was tickled (I think) that the obviously USA video had been re-voiced by UK actors who still used the USA pronunciation Lee-Bray as opposed to anyone in Europe who would pronounce it Lee-Bruh (as in Quebec Libre as De Gaulle used to say) because we have been exposed to the French in their native environment.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was looking through my Libre reports and came across a very high rise at about 5.30am one morning.

46gDiJO.jpg

I remembered that this had occurred after having a curry at 11.00pm the previous night with rice which I had bolused for prior to eating.
I always thought I was ok with rice and a scan 2 hours after the meal at 1.00am confirmed that my bolus calculation had been correct and I'd successfully circumvented any spike.
BUT LOOK WHAT HAPPENED FROM 2.15am :facepalm:
I woke at 5.30am - maybe bebause of the rising sugars - and gave myself some more insulin which stopped the rise.

If I had forgotten what I had eaten the night before I'd have no idea what caused the rise.
Until now I haven't made use of the notes facility in the software which allows you to add 6 new notes to the reader. I am now adding the following:

Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Bread/Cake
Hi-Fat
Lo-Fat

If I now have a meal consisting of potatoes and bread I can tick these and also if it was a hi or low fat meal (I think that the fat (oil) in the curry is what caused the delayed rise in sugars) and have a much better idea of how and more importantly when different foods affect me.

Are you using the notes facility?
if your google: diabetic pizza effect
it will give a lot of info and how to minimise it

Reactions: 2 people