FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emmotha - I had quite a bit of discomfort with my first sensor and my 2nd wasn't comfortable. My 3rd is further to the back of my arm and is more accurate and no discomfort. I've switched arms each time. I'm now sleeping on it with no issues - the last two caused discomfort and disturbed sleep when I slept on them.

Hope it settles soon.

BTW, your new avatar looks amazing. Good for you sweetheart!

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Decided to put a sensor on.

First reading after an hour 7.4 while blood testing gave 7.6.

After tree hours 5.5 which seemed ok because I had taken my bicycle. Another hour later 4.2 which also seemed to be correct.

Then I ate some bread, checked again after 30 minutes. Libre gave me a LOW while bloodsugar was already 7.8 again. Checked some more times but false hypo's kept on being indicated.

So everything went very well until I got low bloodsugars.

btw I put my sensor on aftergoing to the gym and having a shower which seemed to give ok values immediatly (until glucose ran low)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

Almost 2 mmol out at the mo. Pretty random today. £100 per month is a lot if the sensors are going to be out so much. Meh.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 8390
Almost 2 mmol out at the mo. Pretty random today. £100 per month is a lot if the sensors are going to be out so much. Meh.
My second sensor was like that - just random - I ended up doing just as many finger-pricks. I called Abbott who are supposedly sending me a replacement (but no sign of that yet).

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My second sensor was like that - just random - I ended up doing just as many finger-pricks. I called Abbott who are supposedly sending me a replacement (but no sign of that yet).
I already had a replacement for my first one (which I didn't use straight away as by the time it arrived it had evened out), so not sure they'll send another one

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I already had a replacement for my first one (which I didn't use straight away as by the time it arrived it had evened out), so not sure they'll send another one
It's still worth calling them. As you say, £100 a month for inaccurate sensors is not worth it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
590bdf989b875f51d53ba934273815cd.jpg

Having been somewhat unwell for the last 12 hours (think winter vomiting virus symptoms) I've found the Libre to be very helpful for basal testing over this period.

Fortunately, due to eating low carb, after my first bout of sickness I didn't have a bolus to worry about, but it's been a great opportunity to see what happens when with my bs!

27fe6c4a693950767d162397055ed98d.jpg

Although, as you can see with the day graph, who knows what my body is up to. Last food was around 24 hrs ago!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
hFreestyle Libre Review:

I got a Freestyle Libre sensor on my arm for 2,5 days now. After one hour on the first day, it immediately gave me an accurate indication of my glucose level (7,4 while I double checked with traditional meter indicatin 7,6). Then after some hours, when I got a hypo, the Libre seemed to suffer longer from it than I did: While I preserved a REAL hypo by eating something, The Libre kept on indicating low blood sugars for more then an hour.

But allright, it hadn't had it's "one day of settling" at that moment which the sensor seems to need to start indicating accurate glucose levels. Now on the end of the second day, the Freestyle Libre is indicating glucoselevels well, with a difference of about 0,2 mmol. When fast rising or falling glucose levels appear the differences can be more. But of course you still have another indicator: yourself. Would the libre indicate a false hypo, you would probably be suspicious and do an alternate checkup. You can also try to keep on scanning for some time to check your trend. But for sure the accuracy is still up for improvement.

One bigger problem is that the sensor is not very comfortable on your arm. On times you get an annoying pain, which is comparable with the pain you have when you have had a vaccin injection. I have to admit the application of the sensor was painless, even when there's a big needle in the game. But after 2,5 day the sensor is feeling kind of uncomfortable on my arm and I know it will feel like a release when I take it off.

One of the nice things is the quick scanning which works perfectly, even with a wintercoat on: the scanning device will scan right through it. For now I even like the scanning device as a 'gadget'. The touchscreen is still up for improvement, since it does sometimes not react. But with rumours about an app for Android/Iphone, we will have acces to a better touchscreen anyway.

Now Abbot, just go and find a way to improve comfortability and accuracy of the Freestyle Libre and I might order another one.

EDIT: Sometimes unaccuracy is now up to 2 mmol, which is a bit much..

Last edited by a moderator:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 2nd sensor ended yesterday. I inserted the 3rd sensor into my stomach on Sunday early afternoon in the hope it would settle before starting it around 6pm yesterday.

It has been accurate to within 0.5 mmol/l since I started it. I'll definitely be inserting a day early in future!

As for the stomach site, I thought I'd like it as I have my infusion sets there but in hindsight I think I prefer my arm. I will go back to that after this sensor. I only tried stomach as I have a wedding this weekend and would prefer it wasn't glaring at me in the photos!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Hill28 If you are suffering pain with your sensor, get in touch with Abbott. The majority of us using them have not experienced this.

iHs

My 2nd sensor ended yesterday. I inserted the 3rd sensor into my stomach on Sunday early afternoon in the hope it would settle before starting it around 6pm yesterday.

It has been accurate to within 0.5 mmol/l since I started it. I'll definitely be inserting a day early in future!

As for the stomach site, I thought I'd like it as I have my infusion sets there but in hindsight I think I prefer my arm. I will go back to that after this sensor. I only tried stomach as I have a wedding this weekend and would prefer it wasn't glaring at me in the photos!

Keep posting updates pse on how the stomach sensor works in a different location and controls the glucose readings.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just Tried to Buy one. They are refusing order from new customers unless you have an account with them till next year :( serves me for waiting till pay day!

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone forgotten their scanner lately?

I hated it, I hated it more when I had 5 days to wait for my replacement sensor. I've become quite reliant on the trend graphs, and the accuracy swings are somewhat predictable now I've become acustomed to the delay and trend graphs.

I brought myself a belt pouch to carry my reader around with now so I don't forget it at work, it;s also generally more accessible for a quick reading.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
graph.jpg
In the green, a freehand artistic line representation of how my glucose levels can rise and fall from eating carbs and injecting insulin. In the red, the duplicated line simply placed 1 mmol low and lagged about 20 minutes - the reasonably consistent difference I find between finger prick and Libre scan results.

Amazing just how much the two measurement system variances widen and converge between values read at simultaneous 'real time' points.

You can say that my curve is a load of tosh, I don't mind. It is sort of there or thereabouts for me eating a specific meal. Draw your own graphs based on your own data then come to your own conclusions as to how much sense it makes comparing sensor v finger prick values.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416930246.908730.jpg

Less than 24 hours since activation and it's still reading pretty close. I'm happy with this site!

Reactions: 4 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
@Hill28 If you are suffering pain with your sensor, get in touch with Abbott. The majority of us using them have not experienced this.

Thanks! I can still take it at the moment, it's not all the time but from time to time. And it's not really untakeable pain so... if it gets worse I will contact Abbot.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You should still contact them as they will send a fresh sensor, and it sounds as though you may have caught a nerve.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading this topic http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/67554/

It sounds as though normal cgm results can be as hit and miss as the libre. Maybe that's just related to the point igmr made earlier and the timing and nature of interstitial fluid we differ from bloods.

I think there is a difference between IFG and BG and there is a time lag. However, my current sensor is reading 0.2 mmol out most of the time - so negligible. My previous two were simply random as I published a few day ago - so they were clearly bad sensors compared to this one. Nothing to do with IF v BG or time lags. So, anyone getting poor accuracy should report it to Abbotts and ask for a replacement sensor.

All that said, I'm still so impressed with the data you receive and the way people are changing their diets and insulin timings as a result of the data the Libre gives you. Robert's flat graph is really inspiring, Emmotha's increasing control as she changes her diet is amazing, as is the results Hale has shown by changing her insulin timings.

It's just such a powerful tool in managing diabetes.

Smidge

Reactions: 7 people