Type 1: Prescription fine

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's actually not like disabled badge holders using a card when not entitled. That is fraud plain and simple, this is an administrative issue. T1's are ALL entitled to free prescriptions and there has been no attempt to defraud the NHS here.
It just seems to me to be that it is a very random process as well. Who is checking this and how? Myself, Jaylee, Molivers73 etc have never really had exemption cards yet only one has been fined. Has anyone here ever heard of another diabetic being fined for this? There must be many more that don't have exemptions that also haven't been fined so if it's going to be done they should do it properly or it begins to look exactly what it is..a half ***** discriminatory old fashioned approach that either needs reviewing or scrapping.

This chap has also received one... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/nhs-prescription-penalty-charge-notice.68053/

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is actually quite concerning now. I will try and obtain one as soon as possible. But what angers me about this is no pharmacist has ever asked for one, I have never had one in over 31 years and it seems that I now have to needlessly waste my own time as well as my GP's to perform this ridiculous box ticking exercise. As mentioned in an earlier post the NHS is riddled with waste such as this because the bureaucracy can't get itself sorted. Type 1's need insulin yet some will get fined if they don't have a card saying that they need it. Kafka would be proud.

Reactions: 2 people

Jimski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have just received one in the post, for £124.15...needless to say I am not that happy about it. I was told by a lady on the phone a similar story to others here, you are entitled to free prescriptions but only if you have the medical exemption certificate. I have never been asked for one, and I have been diabetic since 1986 and with the NHS since 1992. The GP has never told me about one and as others have said the pharmacist has always just said "tick that box".

I was also told that the GP can back date it by 30 days, which considering my charge is for September is not that helpful as the letter is dated 24th November. I have never bucked the system knowingly, and would have preferred to receive a "warning" or "first offence" to resolve the issue, and be given the chance to back date it as required by the GP.

Agree that I should have read the prescription small print, but when it hasn't changed in so many years and there was sort of an implied waiver with no notice by GP, Pharmacist or the Business Services Authority it seems a bit rough.

I am going to write to my MP and the press I think. I will pay £1.00 now and depending on what happens will pay the rest in instalments, I'll think of it like a donation to a good cause anyway!! After all, in the grand scheme of things, £124.15 isn't a lot for the wonderful care I get at King's College Hospital and have had at Queen Mary's. Hopefully they will not back date any more, otherwise I will take it further!

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if I need to act! I was given an exemption certificate in 1985 when diagnosed but I don't know where it is now. Maybe in a drawer. I've never been required to sign my prescription or produce the certificate or apply for a new one. I think this task could easily be taken out of the hands of T1's, as GPs have a clear record, (don't they?), of their T1 patients. It's not as if T1's don't have enough to do to look after their condition, and surely it would be more efficient for GPs to vouch for them?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have just received one in the post, for £124.15...needless to say I am not that happy about it. I was told by a lady on the phone a similar story to others here, you are entitled to free prescriptions but only if you have the medical exemption certificate. I have never been asked for one, and I have been diabetic since 1986 and with the NHS since 1992. The GP has never told me about one and as others have said the pharmacist has always just said "tick that box".

I was also told that the GP can back date it by 30 days, which considering my charge is for September is not that helpful as the letter is dated 24th November. I have never bucked the system knowingly, and would have preferred to receive a "warning" or "first offence" to resolve the issue, and be given the chance to back date it as required by the GP.

Agree that I should have read the prescription small print, but when it hasn't changed in so many years and there was sort of an implied waiver with no notice by GP, Pharmacist or the Business Services Authority it seems a bit rough.

I am going to write to my MP and the press I think. I will pay £1.00 now and depending on what happens will pay the rest in instalments, I'll think of it like a donation to a good cause anyway!! After all, in the grand scheme of things, £124.15 isn't a lot for the wonderful care I get at King's College Hospital and have had at Queen Mary's. Hopefully they will not back date any more, otherwise I will take it further!

I can't believe this charge!! Am I missing something? Why are you being charged £124.15?!!

Jimski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe this charge!! Am I missing something? Why are you being charged £124.15?!!
Hi Liz,

£24.15 for the prescription.
£100.00 penalty charge (which is calculated as 5 x prescription charge, up to a maximum of £100.00)

NHS are recouping funds from soft targets, the lady I spoke to said they had never checked them in the past and are now doing so!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think we ought to contact our local MP's - and find out if there are any posters that can be put up in practices too..i'm putting this in our Newsletters to patients...

Practices can easily put warnings of this on their repeat prescrpitions...
As well!!

Reactions: 4 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although on the surface of it, it seems very harsh - especially if you are a diabetic and are genuinely entitled to free scripts, the fact remains that you don't only get your diabetic medication free from the NHS, you get all prescriptions free. Cold medication, anti-biotics, aspirin..... - you get the picture. It is a very sad fact of life that there are many people who feel entitled to de-fraud companies and organisations when they can, and when the said organisations are slacking with their checks.

However I also agree wholeheartedly with @donnellysdogs when she says that practices can put warnings on repeat prescriptions - maybe this site can also give a warning in their welcoming message.

I do feel that diabetics that have been given a fine, can sort this out amicably with the NHS's exemption card provider and explain that their lack of certificate is a genuine mistake.

Guys let us know how you get on.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just asked our Practice Manager to purlt a message on all prescriptions warning of the fines and to ensure all exemption cards are up to date...

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've posted a warning on a couple of facebook groups that I'm a member of and suggest we all do our best to remind our fellows so they don't get caught out...

Reactions: 5 people

Jimski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if I need to act! I was given an exemption certificate in 1985 when diagnosed but I don't know where it is now. Maybe in a drawer. I've never been required to sign my prescription or produce the certificate or apply for a new one. I think this task could easily be taken out of the hands of T1's, as GPs have a clear record, (don't they?), of their T1 patients. It's not as if T1's don't have enough to do to look after their condition, and surely it would be more efficient for GPs to vouch for them?
You will need to yes, they are only valid for 5 years apparently. Which considering it a chronic illness would seem completely ridiculous that you need to do that anyway, it is a waste of time for us, the GPs and the Business Services Authority's time.

Jimski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just posted on DAFNE online too so a few more might get the message out too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is actually quite concerning now. I will try and obtain one as soon as possible. But what angers me about this is no pharmacist has ever asked for one, I have never had one in over 31 years and it seems that I now have to needlessly waste my own time as well as my GP's to perform this ridiculous box ticking exercise. As mentioned in an earlier post the NHS is riddled with waste such as this because the bureaucracy can't get itself sorted. Type 1's need insulin yet some will get fined if they don't have a card saying that they need it. Kafka would be proud.

I hardly ever get asked for one, when you stick to the same pharmacies they get to know you and realise you already have an exemption certificate, the only time anyone will ask is when I'm using a pharmacy that I've never used before.

In light of recent events I think it's wise that everyone chases up their exemption certificates to save the aggravation months and years down the road.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I hardly ever get asked for one, when you stick to the same pharmacies they get to know you and realise you already have an exemption certificate, the only time anyone will ask is when I'm using a pharmacy that I've never used before.

In light of recent events I think it's wise that everyone chases up their exemption certificates to save the aggravation months and years down the road.

As a T1 has their critical illness for life it is ridiculous to make us have to apply every 5 years... Hey ho!!! Bl**dy govts wasting more funding on needless systems!!

I'm writing to my Local Councilors and MP tomorrow.

Reactions: 6 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I was diagnosed in June this year and no one told me about the exemption card, not the GP / nurse / pharmacist or anyone. I only found out about the card by looking online after having a feeling that T1 get free prescriptions. I wrote down the name of the form and my GP surgery didn't even know what it was!

I'd either have ended up paying for prescriptions, or getting fined.

Awful they can fine you with no warning when you haven't even been told upfront!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a T1 has their critical illness for life it is ridiculous to make us have to apply every 5 years... Hey ho!!! Bl**dy govts wasting more funding on needless systems!!

I'm writing to my Local Councilors and MP tomorrow.

It is ridiculous, especially when you consider that they are talking about lifting the restrictions on driving licences from 3 years up to a possible 10 years, surely a 10 year exemption certificate would be more appropriate, lets know what your MP says.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Bit of a moaner to him.. Have his email amongst my favourites.. Good old Andy Sawford....

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS is broke, they need to find plenty of soft targets to increase income.