Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

kay2409

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was hypo, my dog used to come up to me and nudge me until I treated myself. Never trained to detect it, yet he knew. Always remember when he did it, he'd tilt his head as if to say 'come on, get yourself back to normal'. Miss him

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My dog slept on corner of bed at the bottom, hypo's she knew before me or hubby.... She would come up to my top of the duvet and get in under it and start licking me.. That would be before either of us knew..

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Definately. I had two cats, and they both stayed by me whenever I was ill. One of them, Becky, used to lie on top of me and not budge for hours. I called it 'The Laying on of Paws'. Plus the gentle rumbling purr was very soothing...Sadly they have both gone to The Great Cattery in the Sky

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Have to agree with others our dog used to want to help especially if you had a cut he would try to lick it for you but told him thanks but no thanks he liked licking his privates.
At least he didn't ask you to do it for him:woot::woot:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Definately. I had two cats, and they both stayed by me whenever I was ill. One of them, Becky, used to lie on top of me and not budge for hours. Called it the 'laying on of paws'. Sadly they have both gone to The Great Cattery in the Sky
When I was ill in bed last week, I was kept company all day by all three of ours who were quite happy to lie next to me all day. I think that had less to do with being ill and more to do with "parent" time though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Definately. I had two cats, and they both stayed by me whenever I was ill. One of them, Becky, used to lie on top of me and not budge for hours. Called it the 'laying on of paws'. Sadly they have both gone to The Great Cattery in the Sky

I pressed 'liked' but not for them being in the The Great Sky Cattery,:angelic: That's where my Sonny boy is ...... wont say any more about that, except animals are tops, the best and I love 'em to bits :) :cat: :joyful:

RRB

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
At least he didn't ask you to do it for him:woot::woot:
Lol cheeky now if I had offered he would of let me he was abit of a perv towards to end,poor baby but you do have to draw the line somewhere.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Amazing because often you hear about pets staying by their owners when they have died too!!

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I pressed 'liked' but not for them being in the The Great Sky Cattery,:angelic: That's where my Sonny boy is ...... wont say any more about that, except animals are tops, the best and I love 'em to bits :) :cat: :joyful:

RRB

Awww thanks. They are a miss aren't they?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Grey Friars Bobby :) Great Film
Never seen or read... As someone who still misses their girlies, 3 years on... Is this going to make me really sad to read or watch?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oooh daren't watch then... Still have tears ref my girlies now... Think it wld tip me over the top!!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had a couple of threads on the forum from people with dogs who sensed or were trained to warn them about critical sugar levels. And I know a lady whose Cavalier has twice known ahead of diagnosis about her cancer.

One of my Cavaliers wouldn't leave my husband's bed when he had pneumonia, I had to take his food and water up for him, and another more recently was very concerned a couple of years back when I had a very dizzy sick spell, and stayed close to me on the bed all night - something he rarely ever does. My first dog used to spend hours pretending to be asleep but actually surrepticiously watching me all the time! He knew me better than I knew myself and would play on this, getting away with naughty behaviour when I was in a good mood, and being super obedient when it was "that time of the month" and I tended to be a bit irritable, and liable to be short with him.

They are great observers and interpreters of both moods and habits, and their good sense of smell can aid their interpretation of (potential) problems. They truly can be our best friends, particularly in times of need.

Robbity