Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ok...

I too am proof that lower carbing and higher fat works. Except 90% of my 51 years has been low carbing... Before it even became an acronym.. LCHF. Not 6 months or 6 years...since the age of 6 or 8 with a few months a few years ago of trying to adopt somebody's suggestion that I ate porridge or toast.

T1 30+ years.
Hba1c between 5.6 to 6.8. Constantly nagged by consultants to raise it. Cholesterol good.
Standard deviation is always below 2.8.
No complications at all.
Only ever went to size 12 when shovelling the toast or porridge for those few months. Apart from that always a size 8/10 and told I am lean and mean

Believe me.... The months I stuffed porridge and or toast for breakfast made me fatter. My levels swung more.

I would love just for one person from the NHS in my lifetime to have asked why I can achieve good levels of everything and others can't.

I hope the NHS will listen. However.....Dr Trudi Deakin is a business woman.... Do you really think that she hasn't weighed up what this will do to her business if she loses the contract for the NHS? She isn't daft. She gets good money for educator services etc. no way is she going to risk that. A book won't rake in the money that the educator courses do. Yes, she is a Dr, but she is a business woman too. She's got a business plan alright.....

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only just catching up on this post. I'm very happy (and proud) to say I've been involved (in a small part) in the research that Trudi has been conducting. Via the lowcarbdiabetic team, I found a GP who could recruit patients for the trial discussed in the Mail article and was also involved in discussions before patient recruitment.

Trudi is a very talented, very intelligent, forward-thinking dietician. She is first-author on the current national dietetic guidelines for diabetics and is one of the most influential diabetic dieticians in the UK. Someone we are very fortunate to be conducting this research.

The book itself is excellent. I was fortunate to be given a preprint to review. Everything in there is backed up by contemporary, accurate research. It's completely comprehensive and I couldn't come up with any improvements to the content. If you're interested, the aim is to be ketogenic, with a suggested daily carb intake of 20-50g.

It's got sections explaining the supportive science behind ketogenic diets. It's also got info on the foods you can eat, a new diet portion plate, loads of lifestyle tips in the context of LC, FAQs, types of fats you should eat, alcohol choices, meal plans, recipes and loads more. Buy it!

Reactions: 24 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Only just catching up on this post. I'm very happy (and proud) to say I've been involved (in a small part) in the research that Trudi has been conducting. Via the lowcarbdiabetic team, I found a GP who could recruit patients for the trial discussed in the Mail article and was also involved in discussions before patient recruitment.

Trudi is a very talented, very intelligent, forward-thinking dietician. She is first-author on the current national dietetic guidelines for diabetics and is one of the most influential diabetic dieticians in the UK. Someone we are very fortunate to be conducting this research.

The book itself is excellent. I was fortunate to be given a preprint to review. Everything in there is backed up by contemporary, accurate research. It's completely comprehensive and I couldn't come up with any improvements to the content. If you're interested, the aim is to be ketogenic, with a suggested daily carb intake of 20-50g.

It's got sections explaining the supportive science behind ketogenic diets. It's also got info on the foods you can eat, a new diet portion plate, loads of lifestyle tips in the context of LC, FAQs, types of fats you should eat, alcohol choices, meal plans, recipes and loads more. Buy it!

Fantastic to hear from somebody involved...... Thank you for that information. I just personally think that it's about time.

The only concern that really bothers me is if she is that good, how come she originally advocated such awful advice??

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic to hear from somebody involved...... Thank you for that information. I just personally think that it's about time.

The only concern that really bothers me is if she is that good, how come she originally advocated such awful advice??
As with anything in science, unless someone changes their mind, there will be no progress. And progress we will.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am going to email a link to the DM article to my diabetes nurse. I think she will find it interesting.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am going to email a link to the DM article to my diabetes nurse. I think she will find it interesting.

Yep, I discussed with my Practice Manager last night and being contacted by DSN to get to talk to her outside her appt times as well......the more we raise this the better.

This isn't just an issue for type 2's though, it's going to be the advice from x-pert for T1's and for prediabetics too.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, it's a little bit more involved for type 1 diabetics, but that shouldn't be a big problem. I would guess anyone on insulin might be happy not to have to use as much, but I suppose many people would miss the carbs, or at least think they will.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Like @NoCrbs4Me I find it hard to reconcile the quoted 82% fat with her description of what she eats at the end of the article, which seems pretty similar to my diet. Then again it is the Daily Mail ...

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Like @NoCrbs4Me I find it hard to reconcile the quoted 82% fat with her description of what she eats at the end of the article, which seems pretty similar to my diet. Then again it is the Daily Mail ...
Ya, I agree. It also doesn't seem like as many calories as she says - 2600 per day. But I suppose it depends on the actual amounts of the different foods.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ya, I agree. It also doesn't seem like as many calories as she says - 2600 per day. But I suppose it depends on the actual amounts of the different foods.

She must do a lot of exercise to warrant that many calories.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with anything in science, unless someone changes their mind, there will be no progress. And progress we will.

Thank you.

Detail.

Something you have seen with your own eyes.

And it might actually be worth reading! ;)

If it gets wide publicity, support and people actually start controlling their BG in enough numbers, it will send shock waves through the NHS. :)

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
She must do a lot of exercise to warrant that many calories.
Possibly, but she is not trying to lose weight either. All calories are not equal. I can eat a lot more calories and still lose weight on my LCHF diet compared to when I tried to lose weight on a high carb low fat diet.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
And you probably never saw x-pert doing a complete 180 coming either. You never know what's round the corner. As for the 82%, it's only a recommendation, it's not law. I doubt if anyone stuck rigidly to the "eatable plate" either. Any diet will be adapted slightly to suit the individual. Stick with what works for you.

Perhaps you can tell me how and when the XPert course made a 180 degree turn Danny, we are debating a book. as for the 82% you clearly didnt read the post I was referring to as it is what she claims to eat who said it was a recommendation other than you?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Disky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Follow the money.?
If she gets paid for such courses, she will say what she needs to get paid, then it will all change and she will say something else. This ensures that the "professionals" are kept up to date.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Care to expand what it was that apparently made you laugh out loud?

Sid forgive me. I understand your question was put to Andy, but since he doesn't seem to be have been around since your post I'd like to reply. I'm sure he will answer it himself later.

I also thought your statement was a little strange. So whilst checking my understanding of insulin resistance I found this :-

"Research is continuing to look more closely into how insulin resistance develops.
It is thought that the principle cause of insulin resistance is obesity. One theory suggests that central obesity (too much fat around the belly) causes the fat cells to become starved of oxygen and die.
It is thought that the body reacts with an inflammatory response which then sets off the start of insulin resistance. "

Now a high fat diet does not cause obesity as we know from the many members here who have lost weight following LCHF. I understood that it was the combination of fat and carbs that did this, coupled with the vicious circle of insulin resistance. (The more insulin resistant you are, the more insulin your pancreas produces and therefore the fatter you become). If you take the carbs ( most of them) out of the equation and replace them with fat then you lose weight because less insulin is needed. So how can fat alone increase your insulin resistance? We need fats to survive so it makes sense to reduce the carbs and make up with extra fat to supply the calories we need.

Also, the last sentence in the text above:-

"It is thought that the body reacts with an inflammatory response which then sets off the start of insulin resistance. " It's well known that sugars cause an inflammatory response.

I agree with you that I wouldn't want to eat as much as 82% fats either, I have enough to suit me personally.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps you can tell me how and when the XPert course made a 180 degree turn Danny, we are debating a book. as for the 82% you clearly didnt read the post I was referring to as it is what she claims to eat who said it was a recommendation other than you?
I never mentioned the course, you did. I referred to the site itself ( link already provided twice if you look back ). The 180 turnaround is going from advising low fat and starchy carbs to LCHF. Thanks.

Reactions: 6 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is the course will follow suit soon. Be a bit strange to teach one thing whilst promoting a book saying the opposite.