urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
But this isn't a court of law urbanracer, It's a diabetic support forum :) Many people have showed their displeasure and some members don't mind or don't care where or how our posts are put, We are allowed to show that we are not happy with how this is done.

Best wishes RRB

1/ if you don't mind and don't care then what are you complaining about?
2/ This diabetic support forum as you refer to it, is being provided free of charge by a business. DCUK is not a charity and no one should be surprised that they use the posts as a way of keeping potential customers 'engaged'. I would go as far as to suggest it is extremely naive to think otherwise.
3/ For all those who were too damned lazy to read the Ts and Cs (and I include myself) I say WE don't actually have the right to 'feel' let down now.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The same words keep reappearing in this thread, "unfairness" "betrayal" etc. YOU MUST ALL UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AGREED TO IT, WE ALL DID! There is no element of unfairness, there is no element of betrayal. You agreed that your comments can be reproduced on ANY website and ANY form of media at DCUK's discretion.

Had they used DISCRETION they would not have linked that post, what they did was leave the person concerned open to the bully boy tactics of the Facebook Brat Pack to be mocked and ridiculed at their discretion.

Reactions: 2 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2/ This diabetic support forum as you refer to it, is being provided free of charge by a business. DCUK is not a charity and no one should be surprised that they use the posts as a way of keeping potential customers 'engaged'. I would go as far as to suggest it is extremely naive to think otherwise.
3/ For all those who were too damned lazy to read the Ts and Cs (and I include myself) I say WE don't actually have the right to 'feel' let down now.

1. Because clearly lots of people DO care.
2. Totally agree this forum is a business, nobody is complaining about self promoting for advertisement, just the linking of threads to FB.
3. I also didn't read T&C's and by law, cannot complain. That doesn't make it morally right though. I can still have an opinion, as you do.

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

when you spend hours upon hours upon years spending time getting to know people, helping people and being helped, forming relationships etc etc, you fall for a place and the people in it (even the ones like me who irritate the hell out of you) is it naive to think that the people running the show care enough about you to not use you as a tool to promote the place at your expense? we may be on the big bad web but its still a place to share our highs and lows with like minded folks in the same boat, we know its not private but people that can see what we write at least have an interest in the subject and i would hope are not the type of moron you see commenting on Facebook posts, by posting this stuff on face book, what we write is being put up for ridicule by these people in an unmoderated enviroment, i don't think anyone here is too dumb to know what we are saying is out there for the world to see, but would we want our stories discussed on sky news? no. these stories of our lives are written in the hopes they help someone else with the same problems or help us in an insulated world, there is no way to do this privately as that would be a diary, so what we write may not be private but it is personal and we should have the choice where it is posted if not here

otherwise why not close the forum and lets all go to Facebook? we don't do that because we don't like Facebook so how could we not get upset to find out that we are indeed on Facebook anyway

Reactions: 16 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

With respect, read up on the word "principles" .... NOTHING should be dictated by T & Cs when it impinges upon the freedoms for people in need of help.

Where is the humanity in that may I ask? Stop disguising the argument with a reality many simply don't understand. THEY are simply seeking guidance, and regardless of your comments (valid or otherwise) why should they have to go thru THAT trial?

Reactions: 10 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read all of the posts ..... and though I don't really care one way or the other, it IS an intrusion into an area of my life that I SHOULD be able to share with those I trust. And I trust no-one on facebook. Yesterday, today or any other.

Pity other parties pretended to observe principles I was raised with. That is THEIR loss, not mine.

Unfortunately principals are no longer a way of life for a lot of people.

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
when you spend hours upon hours upon years spending time getting to know people, helping people and being helped, forming relationships etc etc, you fall for a place and the people in it (even the ones like me who irritate the hell out of you) is it naive to think that the people running the show care enough about you to not use you as a tool to promote the place at your expense? we may be on the big bad web but its still a place to share our highs and lows with like minded folks in the same boat, we know its not private but people that can see what we write at least have an interest in the subject and i would hope are not the type of moron you see commenting on Facebook posts, by posting this stuff on face book, what we write is being put up for ridicule by these people in an unmoderated enviroment, i don't think anyone here is too dumb to know what we are saying is out there for the world to see, but would we want our stories discussed on sky news? no. these stories of our lives are written in the hopes they help someone else with the same problems or help us in an insulated world, there is no way to do this privately as that would be a diary, so what we write may not be private but it is personal and we should have the choice where it is posted if not here

otherwise why not close the forum and lets all go to Facebook? we don't do that because we don't like Facebook so how could we not get upset to find out that we are indeed on Facebook anyway
Wish i had written that :

Well said Andy

Reactions: 9 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

We are naïve to think they care in that way, it would appear we are but fodder in their search for profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I did not say I didn't care urbanracer, I said' some do not care ' unquote ' it has NOT come from me.!!! please be kind enough to read again.

My post you quoted :-
'But this isn't a court of law urbanracer, It's a diabetic support forum :) Many people have showed their displeasure and some members don't mind or don't care where or how our posts are put, We are allowed to show that we are not happy with how this is done.

Best wishes RRB unquote'

As for people being to dammed lazy not to read the t& c ? I find your post aggressive and because you used my quote, (aimed at me) it was unnecessary and and not helpful. So not pleasant.
Why not email @admin with your views on the subject ? I'm sure they would welcome all views, for and against. I am hoping too?

Regards RRB

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the T&C's. I wasn't as '**** lazy' as you. Whilst I considered that DCUK could use my posts in for instance their newsletter, I did not think of them putting the threads on Facebook. This is a support forum, Facebook is the antithesis of that. In the beginning I didn't share much. I began to share more when I realised that my own experiences were helping others.

As for it being free of charge, that itself is a very naïve statement, we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch. DCUK wouldn't do it if they weren't getting money from us in other ways.

You have said ignorance of the law is no defence. That is a very aggressive statement. It is usually used when someone breaks the law themselves; we haven't done that. All any of us have done is be misled by some very general T & C's. It would have been helpful to me to have the phrase 'including social media. ie Facebook' included. I wouldn't have joined. Also in respect of the law - it is ever changing and growing, it is never as black and white as it seems. To me, an organisation that is 'providing a support forum' should have a greater duty of care to make sure it's T&C's are clear and understood by the most vulnerable people using it. Would a reasonable man expect a support forum to support? Or would he expect it to offer up its members for ridicule in an uncontrolled environment?

Reactions: 13 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Please don't get personal or heated up in this thread with each other .

Please send your thoughts in via PM source to either -
@Giverny or @Administrator "only"

This way they can take your reflected points to consider .

This is being handled by them and not the moderators team here on
this forum .

Reactions: 4 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read the T&C's. I wasn't as '**** lazy' as you. Whilst I considered that DCUK could use my posts in for instance their newsletter, I did not think of them putting the threads on Facebook. This is a support forum, Facebook is the antithesis of that. In the beginning I didn't share much. I began to share more when I realised that my own experiences were helping others.

As for it being free of charge, that itself is a very naïve statement, we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch. DCUK wouldn't do it if they weren't getting money from us in other ways.

You have said ignorance of the law is no defence. That is a very aggressive statement. It is usually used when someone breaks the law themselves; we haven't done that. All any of us have done is be misled by some very general T & C's. It would have been helpful to me to have the phrase 'including social media. ie Facebook' included. I wouldn't have joined. Also in respect of the law - it is ever changing and growing, it is never as black and white as it seems. To me, an organisation that is 'providing a support forum' should have a greater duty of care to make sure it's T&C's are clear and understood by the most vulnerable people using it. Would a reasonable man expect a support forum to support? Or would he expect it to offer up it's members for ridicule in an uncontrolled environment?
Great post. And @anna29, I believe Giverny has been tagged many times and no response and although admin have responded, not all concerns have been resolved so I don't really see how this is being dealt with.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Reactions: 5 people
G

graj0

Sadly, I get the impression that this thread has become divisive, it has raised some very important points, but I think all discussion about legality or morality or whatever is wasted. The point is that the organisation that runs this forum for us, shares some of our threads on Faceache. Some hate it with a passion, some like it, some don't care, and some, maybe, like me accept it for what it is. If I really don't like it I won''t come back . . . . . . who was that at the back cheering? LOL
Is this a good time to get on with the real business of trying to help each other deal with a very complex illness? Just a thought.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sadly, I get the impression that this thread has become divisive, it has raised some very important points, but I think all discussion about legality or morality or whatever is wasted. The point is that the organisation that runs this forum for us, shares some of our threads on Faceache. Some hate it with a passion, some like it, some don't care, and some, maybe, like me accept it for what it is. If I really don't like it I won''t come back . . . . . . who was that at the back cheering? LOL
Is this a good time to get on with the real business of trying to help each other deal with a very complex illness? Just a thought.

No cheering from me graj0 :)

I do like the forum's members, with support, advice, help, daftness, serious sides, funny or sad and always interesting.:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you. However for me personally this has raised some serious issues. I need to feel safe. I don't feel safe here now, I'll leave helping others to the rest of you, I need to put myself first. I don't suppose the admin team or the mods would be too happy if I were to greet a newbie with 'Hi, welcome to the forum, just a word of warning DCUK put a reference to some threads here on Facebook' would they? So I won't be opening my heart to anyone here anymore, I will behave as if this forum is in fact Facebook.

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Of course we have rights
The right to accurate and updated information
Information that we can all understand
Simple and clear ...and a way of checking , when joining for example that individuals understand that their problems and or life stories are open to abuse by non members ....if people want to comment then they should join as members .... Complaining , no ...raising concerns yes ....and rightly so.
I

K

Kat100

I agree with you. However for me personally this has raised some serious issues. I need to feel safe. I don't feel safe here now, I'll leave helping others to the rest of you, I need to put myself first. I don't suppose the admin team or the mods would be too happy if I were to greet a newbie with 'Hi, welcome to the forum, just a word of warning DCUK put a reference to some threads here on Facebook' would they? So I won't be opening my heart to anyone here anymore.
I think it has raised many issues.......there should be a way to resolve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.