Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Avocado Sevenfold, post: 744715, member: 91401

*sings* You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :singing:[/QUOTE]

Love that song! :)

Reactions: 4 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember when I joined if I was asked how I came to find the forum. Might be useful to the management if that question was asked.

Also, I don't think members who leave are ever removed from the list.

*sings* You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :singing:

I don't think members ever really leave they just sit quietly in the shadows keeping a watchful eye on things

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
One of the other things I note is that people describe the forum as a "support forum". I was under the impression that it was a community of people who had varying interests in diabetes, some for whom it was a way of sharing information, others for whom it is a way of getting in touch with other diabetics. When I first came across it I didn't consider it a support forum, although I can see that many consider it that way. As an information sharing/community of common interest I can understand why sharing links to topics on Facebook wouldn't be considered an issue.

I guess it depends massively on how you view a forum such as this!

I would say the support is massive on here, I know from past experience, the present and I know for the future too.We support each other in many ways and diverse ways too.:D Just look at some of the threads in general section.:hilarious: Joining in, having a little moan, a discussion, a laugh and the wonderful banter that goes on, is amazing. Diabetes is not thought about at that moment in time ( or maybe something else that the member is going through), it's always there. I know it's a part of me, who I am, but just want it to be a small part, It's a support, sharing, caring ,information community.
A song is now playing on the Radio, " There's no place I'd rather be" by Clean Bandit, that says it all for me, sums it up just nicely :happy:

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I came here for info, could not ask for a better form of support in my opinion than being taught how to stay alive

Reactions: 5 people
H

Hooked

None of my family are on this forum, and whilst it is public, I trust them not to go looking and digging online to find out what's happening with me. But they are on facebook, and as I am diabetic they "like" the diabetes.co.uk page on there.

There are things I have sounded out and discussed on here personal to me, such as newly diagnosed kidney issues, which I haven't as yet had a chance to sit down and tell my family about. It would be horrible for them to see a post on facebook linking to a thread on here with me discussing those issues. No way for a family to find out.

I feel it's wrong to link on facebook to personal threads people have put up on here. Well and grand posting a general link to the over all forum; but not to individual threads.

Makes me feel a lot more cautious about discussing anything on here. And this was one place I felt I could freely discuss my diabetes, how I was getting on with it and issues I was having with it. I feel now that I have lost that, for fear of someone close to me reading it on facebook.

Reactions: 21 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
None of my family are on this forum, and whilst it is public, I trust them not to go looking and digging online to find out what's happening with me. But they are on facebook, and as I am diabetic they "like" the diabetes.co.uk page on there.

There are things I have sounded out and discussed on here personal to me, such as newly diagnosed kidney issues, which I haven't as yet had a chance to sit down and tell my family about. It would be horrible for them to see a post on facebook linking to a thread on here with me discussing those issues. No way for a family to find out.

I feel it's wrong to link on facebook to personal threads people have put up on here. Well and grand posting a general link to the over all forum; but not to individual threads.

Makes me feel a lot more cautious about discussing anything on here. And this was one place I felt I could freely discuss my diabetes, how I was getting on with it and issues I was having with it. I feel now that I have lost that, for fear of someone close to me reading it on facebook.

You've hit the nail on the head Hooked :) for me.

Reactions: 9 people
K

Kat100

You've hit the nail on the head Hooked :) for me.
But we all have so many more facebook friends now ...:stop:

I only had a few at the start of this thread ...now I have the whole world in my hands ....;)

The site says it's community will support you ....so I am increasing mine ...:oops::shifty::wideyed:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Avocado Sevenfold, that's a perfectly fair statement. It wasn't the reason I arrived here, so as you say, my expectations differ significantly from yours!

One question that constantly comes to mind is that of why this one seems to have a much larger population than many other diabetic forums, and whether this topic is in someway linked to that.

I have been thinking about your question, I think one answer maybe a forum is only as good as its members, the trust the members have between themselves is paramount, its the members that make a forum work or not, without the members you have nothing but an empty page.

Reactions: 3 people

Janiept

Expert
I was just reading another thread which asked for prayers and support for a family crisis and the member was giving an update on that situation. She was going to post a picture of the person involved so that we could see the improvement, but since this FB issue has started feels that she is unable to do that and is wary of posting certain details. How sad. We have become our own censors and no longer feel we can share certain things in case they get spread where we don't want them. :meh:

Reactions: 10 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just reading another thread which asked for prayers and support for a family crisis and the member was giving an update on that situation. She was going to post a picture of the person involved so that we could see the improvement, but since this FB issue has started feels that she is unable to do that and is wary of posting certain details. How sad. We have become our own censors and no longer feel we can share certain things in case they get spread where we don't want them. :meh:

I read that too, and thought the exact same thing :(

Signy

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

Which means that persons trust support and a life line for some has gone .......

K

Kat100

When it says the community supports you , which is written on the site...that is not really correct ...because of the non members making comments .....the above poster which is refered to asked for support ....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's interesting though. I wouldn't consider posting something that personal on what is a public site. I've always been careful linking to you tube videos including me on other forums. Maybe that's just me.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's interesting though. I wouldn't consider posting something that personal on what is a public site. I've always been careful linking to you tube videos including me on other forums. Maybe that's just me.
Perhaps if you thought ( yes, wrongly I know ) that this was a members only support forum that would not provide links to FB you may have done ? Obviously she did. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.