" Eat Fat " - Trudi Deakin's New Book

K

Kat100

So I have some free time while waiting in for a delivery, and have had the chance to read the book completely . For those who haven't got the book, the Table of Contents reads :

What is a very low carb/ high fat lifestyle ?

The science of carbohydrate

The science supporting a very low carb/high fat lifestyle

How could this lifestyle benefit me ?

Not a quick fix but sustainable lifestyle change

Questions to ask yourself before you start.

Step 1: What are you currently eating ?
Step 2: identification of carbohydrate foods
Step 3: Eliminating carbohydrates - how low do you go?
Step 4: What can you eat?
Step 5: Monitoring success
Step 6: Maintainence

Essential tips to ensure success e.g eating enough salt and fat.

Frequently asked questions

Filling up on fat

Focus on alcohol

Zero and low calorie sweetners

Glycaemic index

Reading and understanding food labels

Carbohydrate content of everyday foods

Sample meal plans

Low carb recipes

Where can I obtain further information and support ?

Health indicators

Monitoring health

There is a lot of useful information in the book, and it is clear and waffle free ( pardon the pun! ) . I particularly liked the LCHF " Eatwell Plate" and the explanation of food groups, daily portions and what is a portion . It's a good starting point with more information given on achieving the right balance and resources such as how to use myfitnesspal. The carbohydrate content of common foods again, is a good starting point, with suggestions as to how to obtain the carb count of others not in the list. Vegetarians note - vegetarian protein such as Quorn are mentioned, but there is not a huge deal to be found in here, neither is there in the recommended " Carbs and Cals " book and app. However, this information can be found through myfitnesspal and other resources online.

The recipes are good though not that many as I believe them to be a starting point - there are a wealth of low carb cook books out there . I tried the low carb bread at 1g carb per 56g serving, and the Beef lasagne with leek pasta, substituting the beef with Quorn mince, and both were very, very good :)

I think that the book is an excellent start for those who are contemplating adopting this lifestyle and those who have questions about the current advice of eating low fat/ high carb , and also has items of interest for those of us that already live a LCHF lifestyle . If you need further convincing of the lack of credibility of the current dietary advice for diabetics, there is an excellent link given by @Pasha that I will post a link to thread after closing this one .

Signy
Thank you for the veggie feedback ...I do appreciate that @Heathenlass ....best wishes ..Kat

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the veggie feedback ...I do appreciate that @Heathenlass ....best wishes ..Kat

You are welcome :) All of it is adaptable ;)

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post about the low carb bread is that the recipe says use a 10x15 dish, without saying if this is inches or centimetres . Of course, I had nothing available in that size with either :rolleyes: In the end I used a square Pyrex roasting dish about 10" square, as I used a loaf tin for another bread recipe that I got elsewhere and it didn't quite work out :( . The roaster worked really well, with the square shape making it easy to divide into 16 portions ready to freeze :). The flaxseed I used for the recipe was the milled golden kind bought at wonderful Aldi ;)

Signy

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
May I ask who will the lucky people to receive the other two ? :D Not if its personal of course, but I rather like the idea of you presenting one to your dietician :cool:

Signy
Our dietitian runs the x-pert course - she knows my ways & modified the carb recommendation because of me. My last word to her - at a Diabetes Day in response to her question about sat fats was "GOOD" (Wrong answer!) We are sort of friends :) She "uses" me because I am a good example of one who takes active care of diet, with good results.

The Dr in charge of diabetes care needs one as well. We've had friendly contact, also with the senior consultant at Ealing hospital. They can't argue against good results.

I have informed them of the new book - so far with no response.

They ought to buy their own - I have diabetic friends who so far have been reluctant to take my advice.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'll certainly be taking mine to show the DN when I have my next tests in March.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll certainly be taking mine to show the DN when I have my next tests in March.
Me too.

I'm taking it to every medical appt I have.

Then, when they talk about weight loss, I mention LC (and they start looking like they've just sucked a lemon) I will slap the book down in front of them and say
'Yes, LCHF. As recommended by the X-pert. Been doing it for years.'

Do you think they will implode?

Reactions: 15 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too.

I'm taking it to every medical appt I have.

Then, when they talk about weight loss, I mention LC (and they start looking like they've just sucked a lemon) I will slap the book down in front of them and say
'Yes, LCHF. As recommended by the X-pert. Been doing it for years.'

Do you think they will implode?

I'd be expecting burst blood vessels........

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take your " before " photos with you ? ;)

Signy

Oh, they have it on my records.

But you are right, there is nothing like a visual impact.

Maybe I should take in 20 lbs of lard, in a carrier bag... :happy:

Love that new avatar, heathenlass. Or should we call you Brunhild?

Reactions: 3 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My review for tomorrow's support group meeting in Hounslow:

Many of us have been on the X-PERT diabetes management course run in Hounslow by **** The course was devised by Dr. Trudi Deakin who has a doctorate in diabetes.

The policy of her organisation, “X-PERT Health” is to provide accurate & up-to-date information. According to the XH “Position Statement (November 2014) it can take up to 17 years for research to be translated into medical practice.

I want to introduce the latest book from XH which turns NHS dietary recommendations upside down. As the cover indicates, a high fat, low carbohydrate diet can benefit a wide range of health conditions. Up to now, the proponents of such a diet have been individuals who have improved their health. We have not been considered significant by such organisations as Diabetes UK. Their considered response is, “we are happy that that diet improves your health, keep it up, but we cannot change our general recommendations.”

Now a major figure in diabetes management has responded to patients' reported experience by adopting it herself, and has studied a wide range of research reports so that her recommendations are based on published evidence.

This Handbook is an 89-page step-by-step guide to low carb/high fat living that includes full colour guides and photographs; menu ideas and recipes; tips to ensure success; frequently asked questions; scientific evidence that supports the diet.
If you would like to feel less hungry; lose weight and keep it off; improve blood glucose, blood pressure or blood fat levels whilst also reducing prescribed medication; reduce bloating and IBS symptoms; improve the appearance of your skin; diminish heartburn and acid reflux; ease the symptoms of premenstrual tension; improve your long-term health and reduce ageing………..then this handbook is for you.

Price £9-99 from:

X-PERT Health, Linden Mill, Linden Road, Hebden Bridge,
West Yorkshire, HX7 7DP, UK.

Reactions: 5 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My review for tomorrow's support group meeting in Hounslow:

Many of us have been on the X-PERT diabetes management course run in Hounslow by **** The course was devised by Dr. Trudi Deakin who has a doctorate in diabetes.

The policy of her organisation, “X-PERT Health” is to provide accurate & up-to-date information. According to the XH “Position Statement (November 2014) it can take up to 17 years for research to be translated into medical practice.

I want to introduce the latest book from XH which turns NHS dietary recommendations upside down. As the cover indicates, a high fat, low carbohydrate diet can benefit a wide range of health conditions. Up to now, the proponents of such a diet have been individuals who have improved their health. We have not been considered significant by such organisations as Diabetes UK. Their considered response is, “we are happy that that diet improves your health, keep it up, but we cannot change our general recommendations.”

Now a major figure in diabetes management has responded to patients' reported experience by adopting it herself, and has studied a wide range of research reports so that her recommendations are based on published evidence.

Price £9-99 from:

X-PERT Health, Linden Mill, Linden Road, Hebden Bridge,
West Yorkshire, HX7 7DP, UK.

How did you get on, @IanD ? Well received, or did you experience a hail of "healthy" flapjacks thrown at you ? :eek:;)

Signy

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Very well received, though 2 of 30 argued against, particularly because the emphasis is on eat fat, rather than low carb. The group is convinced and some report success.

I sold 2 books, one to the group leader. The second speaker didn't turn up, so I had 30 minutes.

3 girls from Duk were there. One has arranged for a diet expert to contact me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 13 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I showed it to our local Pharmacist & she wants to read it (borrow MY copy :( )

I've ordered 3 more.

Reactions: 7 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very well received, though 2 of 30 argued against, particularly because the emphasis is on eat fat, rather than low carb. The group is convinced and some report success.

I sold 2 books, one to the group leader. The second speaker didn't turn up, so I had 30 minutes.

3 girls from Duk were there. One has arranged for a diet expert to contact me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Result ! :D

It's going to be extremely hard to change people's minds over the fat issue, it's been indoctrinated into them for a long time now. Any stroll through the dairy aisle will show you the amount of people buying low fat this, and low fat that, and there is SUCH a lot of it on sale :rolleyes:

A turnaround by DUK would hasten that change hugely . Do let us know if they get in touch and what the outcome was .

Signy

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I think things are changing.
We often eat at a Toby carvery. I always ask for lots of fat, the fatty bits nobody else wants, but more recently have been told that's lots more people have also been asking for it!!!

Reactions: 13 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just got Dr Bernstein's book, will this one offer anything different? Don't want 2 books telling me the same thing ;)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's an easier read ! :D
Yes, it's very different as it is about diet rather than medication . I think it gives a better overview of LCHF for someone new to it, and a good basis of nderstanding for where Dr. B is coming from . There are some differences for sure, with suggestions for substitutions not given in The Diabetes Solution .

Signy