1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

" Eat Fat " - Trudi Deakin's New Book

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Heathenlass, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Thank you for the veggie feedback ...I do appreciate that @Heathenlass ....best wishes ..Kat

• Like Like x 2
  2. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You are welcome :) All of it is adaptable ;)

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post about the low carb bread is that the recipe says use a 10x15 dish, without saying if this is inches or centimetres . Of course, I had nothing available in that size with either :rolleyes: In the end I used a square Pyrex roasting dish about 10" square, as I used a loaf tin for another bread recipe that I got elsewhere and it didn't quite work out :( . The roaster worked really well, with the square shape making it easy to divide into 16 portions ready to freeze :). The flaxseed I used for the recipe was the milled golden kind bought at wonderful Aldi ;)

Signy

• Like Like x 2
  3. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Our dietitian runs the x-pert course - she knows my ways & modified the carb recommendation because of me. My last word to her - at a Diabetes Day in response to her question about sat fats was "GOOD" (Wrong answer!) We are sort of friends :) She "uses" me because I am a good example of one who takes active care of diet, with good results.

The Dr in charge of diabetes care needs one as well. We've had friendly contact, also with the senior consultant at Ealing hospital. They can't argue against good results.

I have informed them of the new book - so far with no response.

They ought to buy their own - I have diabetic friends who so far have been reluctant to take my advice.

• Like Like x 4
  4. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'll certainly be taking mine to show the DN when I have my next tests in March.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Me too.

I'm taking it to every medical appt I have.

Then, when they talk about weight loss, I mention LC (and they start looking like they've just sucked a lemon) I will slap the book down in front of them and say
    'Yes, LCHF. As recommended by the X-pert. Been doing it for years.'

Do you think they will implode?

• Like Like x 15
  6. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'd be expecting burst blood vessels........

• Like Like x 5
  7. Brunneria

Staff Member

Of course, the teensy flaw in my plan is that I am still fat.

But not as fat as I used to be. :happy:

• Like Like x 12
  8. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

"Work in progress, Dhalink,........ Work in progress."

;)

• Like Like x 6
  9. Heathenlass

Take your " before " photos with you ? ;)

Signy

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brunneria

Staff Member

Oh, they have it on my records.

But you are right, there is nothing like a visual impact.

Maybe I should take in 20 lbs of lard, in a carrier bag... :happy:

Love that new avatar, heathenlass. Or should we call you Brunhild?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Heathenlass

• Like Like x 10
  12. Brunneria

Staff Member

13. IanD

My review for tomorrow's support group meeting in Hounslow:

Many of us have been on the X-PERT diabetes management course run in Hounslow by **** The course was devised by Dr. Trudi Deakin who has a doctorate in diabetes.

The policy of her organisation, “X-PERT Health” is to provide accurate & up-to-date information. According to the XH “Position Statement (November 2014) it can take up to 17 years for research to be translated into medical practice.

I want to introduce the latest book from XH which turns NHS dietary recommendations upside down. As the cover indicates, a high fat, low carbohydrate diet can benefit a wide range of health conditions. Up to now, the proponents of such a diet have been individuals who have improved their health. We have not been considered significant by such organisations as Diabetes UK. Their considered response is, “we are happy that that diet improves your health, keep it up, but we cannot change our general recommendations.”

Now a major figure in diabetes management has responded to patients' reported experience by adopting it herself, and has studied a wide range of research reports so that her recommendations are based on published evidence.

Price £9-99 from:

X-PERT Health, Linden Mill, Linden Road, Hebden Bridge,
    West Yorkshire, HX7 7DP, UK.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Heathenlass

How did you get on, @IanD ? Well received, or did you experience a hail of "healthy" flapjacks thrown at you ? :eek:;)

Signy

15. IanD

Very well received, though 2 of 30 argued against, particularly because the emphasis is on eat fat, rather than low carb. The group is convinced and some report success.

I sold 2 books, one to the group leader. The second speaker didn't turn up, so I had 30 minutes.

3 girls from Duk were there. One has arranged for a diet expert to contact me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 13
  16. IanD

I showed it to our local Pharmacist & she wants to read it (borrow MY copy :( )

I've ordered 3 more.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Heathenlass

Result ! :D

It's going to be extremely hard to change people's minds over the fat issue, it's been indoctrinated into them for a long time now. Any stroll through the dairy aisle will show you the amount of people buying low fat this, and low fat that, and there is SUCH a lot of it on sale :rolleyes:

A turnaround by DUK would hasten that change hugely . Do let us know if they get in touch and what the outcome was .

Signy

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

I think things are changing.
    We often eat at a Toby carvery. I always ask for lots of fat, the fatty bits nobody else wants, but more recently have been told that's lots more people have also been asking for it!!!

• Like Like x 13
  19. rowan

rowan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've just got Dr Bernstein's book, will this one offer anything different? Don't want 2 books telling me the same thing ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Heathenlass

It's an easier read ! :D
    Yes, it's very different as it is about diet rather than medication . I think it gives a better overview of LCHF for someone new to it, and a good basis of nderstanding for where Dr. B is coming from . There are some differences for sure, with suggestions for substitutions not given in The Diabetes Solution .

Signy

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook