Pump outcast

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The tubing was never for me and it might be too late now but have you considered an Omnipod? Easy to hide and loads of places to put it, it has its own problems but having had 6 months of no problems, I'm a fan again and have been using it now for 3 years. Could be worth getting a dummy to try just to see if it's a goer and then putting a case together as to why you should change. I'm happy to give you some pointers if you go down that route. I do sympathise hugely, there are so many times you want to be known as yourself rather than the diabetic but it only hits me when I'm a bit burnt out from the whole thing which I think affects most of us at some stage .

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The tubing was never for me and it might be too late now but have you considered an Omnipod?

I do sympathise hugely, there are so many times you want to be known as yourself rather than the diabetic but it only hits me when I'm a bit burnt out from the whole thing which I think affects most of us at some stage .
Yes an Omnipod or a pump with a remote is looking very attractive in hindsight. I picked the Vibe primarily for its CGM integration. But now I can't afford to run the CGM. And it will be at least 2 years, maybe 4, before I am eligible for another pump.

Thanks for the sympathy. My lowered confidence at work is certainly not helping with the burnout factor.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker
I'm unable to help with the feeling of being different but do indeed understand the burn out you might be feeling.
A few years ago I got myself into. a bad place and should have sought help earlier, have you tried speaking to someone from your hospital clinic about how your feeling, maybe give them a call and see, it won't do any harm.

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi Spiker, totally agree with Chas C it seems a common type 1 trait, talk to someone, believe me I've spoken to a lot of people over the years for issues I've had, talking is a brilliant way of resolving issues and other people's opinions often help and you've got an abundance of wealth of friends here on the forum. When you say it could be upto 4 years before you get an upgrade have you only just got this pump ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think the tubing issue for me just wore off as my pump is so visible strapped to my arm during the summer in vests so I just see it as an extension of my good self. As it is actually covered I think some people see it as a gizmo pedometer or ipod.

Unlike you though cos it has a full remote I never have to remove it at all. To be honest I couldn't be assed having it if I had to do that all the time.

However it is balancing improvedd physical health so is still a positive.

I know everybody around me never takes a blind bit of notice anout my pump on arm etc. if it alarms then they don't jump out of their skins and say are you ok.. They just know I'll sort it and they carry on talking etc as before.
It did take a good 18months before it got to being like that with them...

I do think people see past the pump and that the majority who don't still have good things to say and genuine... (Perhaps thick with their comments sometimes though).

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
This is one of the reasons I didn't want a pump - tubes!

Always tried to keep the diabetes to myself (except to those I work directly alongside and the office first aider) as I don't feel it's info everyone needs to know...

Pumps only came on the radar for me when discreet systems like omnipod/Cellnovo have come into play. A wireless handset does all the controlling, great for discreetness, although people now think I'm always on the phone....

Reactions: 3 people

Lambey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was unsure of getting a pump due to the tubing on show issues. Anyway, been pumping for 4 months now and wear mine in a spi belt around my waist. This way it is not visible at all under my shirt and is above the waistband of my trousers. Maybe worth a try?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was unsure of getting a pump due to the tubing on show issues. Anyway, been pumping for 4 months now and wear mine in a spi belt around my waist. This way it is not visible at all under my shirt and is above the waistband of my trousers. Maybe worth a try?
So the Spibelt is visible but not the pump itself?

I think I would look like a tourist with a Spibelt on. It's not really acceptable business dress. And again it's not much use when I have to fish it out half a dozen times a day.

Lambey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha, no I wear it under my shirt - I wear a suit (teacher). Just imagine how many questions I'd get off the kids otherwise!!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Spiker I really think it's worth you having a chat to your team about how much this is affecting you... I know with my team, whilst they said they would prefer me to be sure of my pump choice before I start on it, rather than tell them 6 months in I don't like the one I've chosen, they did also say that if I've a strong reason for not getting on with the one I choose then I can absolutely talk to them about changing it. I guess the process may take a while - but it would take less than 4yrs and would give you light at the end of what currently feels like a very dark tunnel.

Don't underestimate how much something like this is important you feel ok with... I think they get you cant fully know what's important to you in a pump till you've used it... So talk to them... In the meantime, hugs x

Reactions: 4 people

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Perhaps try a pump holiday for a break? Diabetes can cause ups and downs (!), sometimes a change of routine, a break, or literally a holiday can do the trick and put things into perspective...

purleypete

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You raise a very important point about how diabetes affects us psychologically. I was on the receiving end of some pretty horrible discrimination in the workplace just after diagnosis in the early 1990s and it has always made me very reticent about sharing that I am diabetic with work colleagues. Now on a pump, it goes in my pocket and there is about an inch of tubing visible between belt and pocket. You would probably find that most people would not even have noticed.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the risk of destroying all my suits and never being able to carry loose change again, I am going to cut holes inside all the pockets of my suit trousers.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I apologise Spiker for such a destructive suggestion for a serious problem :(

iHs

At the risk of destroying all my suits and never being able to carry loose change again, I am going to cut holes inside all the pockets of my suit trousers.

Make the holes not at the bottom of the pocket........make them in the middle. Put the pump in vertical with tube at the top and then make the cut at the back of the pump just above where the tube joins. That way, no money is lost. Just make sure you have deep pockets ;):)

moz1

To quote one of my favourite bands "never really ever met a normal person" I guess must be hard if you are self conscious about your t1 but I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks tbh if someone tries to say something nasty or sarcastic I point out one of their many faults

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is why I am thinking remote controlled pump...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If you or your wife can not do it take suits to a dress maker and ask that button holes be put in an appropriate place so that you thread your pump through. Do remember to make sure the hole is big enough for the connector/cannula end to fit through though :)

Another option is to use a small safety pin to run your tubing through so it doesn't go astray.