Dr. Jason Fung Videos

George1951

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just viewed two videos that were recommended to me by a friend in Ontario. The videos are by Dr. Jason Fung, a physician at the Scarborough General Hospital (by Toronto, Ontario, Canada). He outlines the view that insulin resistance (which may be the defining problem in T2 diabetes) is caused by high levels of insulin. I searched diabetes.co.uk for "Jason Fung" and "Fung" but found only one tangential reference. So this may very well be news to forum readers and contributors. My apologies if everyone knows about the Fung tapes.

Dr. Fung describes how insulin resistance might be caused by levels of insulin that are too high, in turn as a consequence of chronic overeating. He presents his ideas in YouTube videos. Here are links to two of them. The first is a little over an hour long, and it evidently is a scholarly presentation to other physicians. The emphasis is on the medical science underpinning his theory, but the last third or so is a practical recommendation for tackling T2 by diet:

https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=4oZ4UqtbB_g

The second video follows the same outline, but here the presentation seems aimed at laymen, possibly patients with diabetes or maybe their caregivers. There is less detail on the science and more by way of how eating less often can reverse T2 diabetes. In it, Dr Fung reviews several patient histories here:

So, if you have a stomach for science, take a look at the first one. If instead you'd prefer science as a snack with success stories as the main meal, check out the second one. Me, yeah, I had an appetite for both. Yum!

Thanks for reading,
George F.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just viewed two videos that were recommended to me by a friend in Ontario. The videos are by Dr. Jason Fung, a physician at the Scarborough General Hospital (by Toronto, Ontario, Canada). He outlines the view that insulin resistance (which may be the defining problem in T2 diabetes) is caused by high levels of insulin. I searched diabetes.co.uk for "Jason Fung" and "Fung" but found only one tangential reference. So this may very well be news to forum readers and contributors. My apologies if everyone knows about the Fung tapes.

Dr. Fung describes how insulin resistance might be caused by levels of insulin that are too high, in turn as a consequence of chronic overeating. He presents his ideas in YouTube videos. Here are links to two of them. The first is a little over an hour long, and it evidently is a scholarly presentation to other physicians. The emphasis is on the medical science underpinning his theory, but the last third or so is a practical recommendation for tackling T2 by diet:

The second video follows the same outline, but here the presentation seems aimed at laymen, possibly patients with diabetes or maybe their caregivers. There is less detail on the science and more by way of how eating less often can reverse T2 diabetes. In it, Dr Fung reviews several patient histories here:

So, if you have a stomach for science, take a look at the first one. If instead you'd prefer science as a snack with success stories as the main meal, check out the second one. Me, yeah, I had an appetite for both. Yum!

Thanks for reading,
George F.

@George1951

Thanks for posting this video of Dr Jason Fung. I think his thinking definitely adds to the body of knowledge out there for diabetics! I'm posting this Youtube link for a second time too just to bang the drum so to speak..

What I found particularly interesting was Dr Fung's discussion around the 20 minute marker on this video. In that bariatric surgery cures T2 within 2-3 weeks of the surgery. This implies that its the very aggressive weight loss that puts T2 into remission not entirely and its not limited to overall weight loss?

So I hope this helps.

JM

Last edited by a moderator:

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@George1951

Thanks for posting this video of Dr Jason Fung. I think his thinking definitely adds to the body of knowledge out there for diabetics! I'm posting this Youtube link for a second time too just to bang the drum so to speak..

What I found particularly interesting was Dr Fung's discussion around the 20 minute marker on this video. In that bariatric surgery cures T2 within 2-3 weeks of the surgery. This implies that its the very aggressive weight loss that puts T2 into remission not entirely and its not limited to overall weight loss?

So I hope this helps.

JM
Note that many bariatric patients start a very low calorie diet a couple weeks before surgery as wll, to drat adjusting to the diet while their stomach can still handle cheat days. So 2-3 weeks after surgery is 4-5 weeks of VLCD/massive negative energy diet.

If you are familiar with the Newcastle study, the big gains in restored insulin function showed up at four weeks, with even more improvement at 8 weeks, which meshes with the results of bariatric surgery. I don't think there is enough evidence to say that the weight loss absolutely has to be rapid, it's just that the evidence we all have is based on rapid weight loss.

I know I've lost close to fifty pounds in the 9 weeks since my diagnosis and have seen remarkable progress in my body's glucose tolerance.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note that many bariatric patients start a very low calorie diet a couple weeks before surgery as wll, to drat adjusting to the diet while their stomach can still handle cheat days. So 2-3 weeks after surgery is 4-5 weeks of VLCD/massive negative energy diet.

If you are familiar with the Newcastle study, the big gains in restored insulin function showed up at four weeks, with even more improvement at 8 weeks, which meshes with the results of bariatric surgery. I don't think there is enough evidence to say that the weight loss absolutely has to be rapid, it's just that the evidence we all have is based on rapid weight loss.

I know I've lost close to fifty pounds in the 9 weeks since my diagnosis and have seen remarkable progress in my body's glucose tolerance.

@Glitterbritches

Fantastic work on the weight loss.. I got on the scales this morning and I'm 51 lbs lighter than 1 year ago. I didn't do the weight loss nearly as impressively (in terms of time) as you. Job well done! I am getting better control on my T2 but I still get spikes in my neuropathy.. Those neuropathy attacks are becoming less intense and less frequent.

As for your condition keep up the great work!

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This makes complete sense .I shall be fasting and I'm throwing my drugs out the window .My bg has consistently gone up and up as theyve been shoveling more meds and Insulin in .Thanks @Indy51 !

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This makes complete sense .I shall be fasting and I'm throwing my drugs out the window .My bg has consistently gone up and up as theyve been shoveling more meds and Insulin in .Thanks @Indy51 !
To be on the safe side, you should probably speak to your doctor about tapering your meds.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My own explanation of how IR develops should be very easy to understand and consequently to reverse. Just when the body enters a starvation mode and starts to lower its insulin level In order to conserve muscles. The opposite happens when the body experiences surplus food. It should enter a storage mode and try to conserve and increase the newly stored fat. The obvious way to do this is by increasing circulating insulin in the blood. But this, if done alone, would cause the muscles to go into hypoglycaemia, therefore the body copes with this by inducing a little IR. Should the storage mode continues longer than anticipated, and after most of the fat cells are full, the pancreas starts to reduce its secretion of insulin to avoid further pathogenic fat deposits. But also, unfortunately, becoming short of satisfying the muscles requirements for glucose. And Bang. It's type 2 diabetes.
In my opinion IR is not a bad thing before the human body exceeds its energy intake. Remember that throughout thousands of years our bodies are not accustomed to long periods of abundant food.
And that the body keeps swinging between starvation and storage modes.
This is only an attempt to share a personal opinion and doesn't constitute a professional medical advice.

QUOTE="George1951, post: 555360, member: 97965"]I just viewed two videos that were recommended to me by a friend in Ontario. The videos are by Dr. Jason Fung, a physician at the Scarborough General Hospital (by Toronto, Ontario, Canada). He outlines the view that insulin resistance (which may be the defining problem in T2 diabetes) is caused by high levels of insulin. I searched diabetes.co.uk for "Jason Fung" and "Fung" but found only one tangential reference. So this may very well be news to forum readers and contributors. My apologies if everyone knows about the Fung tapes.

Thanks for reading,
George F.[/QUOTE]
W

Reactions: 2 people

skph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear Dr Jason

I understand much more about T2DM and after watching your videos actually inspired me to take control totally, now! Been suffering for over 30 years and never once under control. Up until recently, I came across findings that dieting can reverse the disease. Already spent tens of thousands of dollars but still no way close to hitting the good control zone (4.0 ~ 6.0 mmol/l). My family doctor just prescribed me another additional drug - insulin aspart (NovoRapid). Very effective though but I fear its going to increase my existing level of insulin in my body. Too much will increase my hunger thus gain weight. Initially I started from pills to more pills, then injection (inject prior to meals). Which continue to allevate to using Lantus Glargin - max 50 units. The other cocktail of pills include Linagliptin (5mg), Losartan (5mg) and Metformin (850mg).
Up until a few back, I told my family doctor that I will go into a low or no carb diet. Loose weight regime. So I requested a drop in dosage to 30 units to aid in my quest.
But always in the back of my mind is this burning question. Besides the insulin resistant condition I am in now, what if my produced insulin is ineffective, say half the strength. Is that possible? I mean we have to look at a problem from all possibilities, right? So Dr Jason, can you help answer my question and hopefully some advise on my condition. Appreciate it tremendously.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dear Dr Jason

I understand much more about T2DM and after watching your videos actually inspired me to take control totally, now! Been suffering for over 30 years and never once under control. Up until recently, I came across findings that dieting can reverse the disease. Already spent tens of thousands of dollars but still no way close to hitting the good control zone (4.0 ~ 6.0 mmol/l). My family doctor just prescribed me another additional drug - insulin aspart (NovoRapid). Very effective though but I fear its going to increase my existing level of insulin in my body. Too much will increase my hunger thus gain weight. Initially I started from pills to more pills, then injection (inject prior to meals). Which continue to allevate to using Lantus Glargin - max 50 units. The other cocktail of pills include Linagliptin (5mg), Losartan (5mg) and Metformin (850mg).
Up until a few back, I told my family doctor that I will go into a low or no carb diet. Loose weight regime. So I requested a drop in dosage to 30 units to aid in my quest.
But always in the back of my mind is this burning question. Besides the insulin resistant condition I am in now, what if my produced insulin is ineffective, say half the strength. Is that possible? I mean we have to look at a problem from all possibilities, right? So Dr Jason, can you help answer my question and hopefully some advise on my condition. Appreciate it tremendously.

Hello there. You have posed your question in quite an old thread and Dr. Fung is not (to my knowledge) a member here. You may wish to put your question in a stand alone thread in the 'Ask a Question' part of the forum where you will receive the advice and knowledge from members who are or have been in your position. Good Luck.

P

pollensa

Thanks for reading,
George F.
Wonderful you have raised root awareness to the most amazing wonderful Dr. Fung, I personally have seen all his videos, and just bought his book The Diabetes Code how to reverse Diabetes 2 naturally, again a terrific book in simple language. Its worthwhile putting into google, Dr.Fung speaking with Dr. Andreas the video explains in simple lay terms also, regards intermittent fasting and Diabetes two.

I follow Dr Fung and his view and recommendations and by doing so, along with low carb keto eating, exercising walking 5 to 9klm a day, have turned my pre diabetes around reversing all numbers to low levels where my medical records as of two weeks ago show NON DIABETIC RANGE

Dr. Fung speaks straight to the point, this is wonderful, he uses a sense of humor within, but overall, he speaks common sense and every one of his books, I have read and videos seen give a clear simple message HOPE, indicates one should not always believe diabetes is a chronic progressive disease, as he states, it can be reversed and I truly believe him. Also well worth reading viewing his article video on "Two lies about Diabetes", again most interesting information.

Congratulations for raising Dr. Fung, I always try to mention when making comments.

Have a lovely day, and thank you Dr. Fung!

P

pollensa

@George1951

So I hope this helps.

JM
Thank you for sharing another Dr. Fungs videos, I hold him in highest esteem, he is after all one of the most respective Doctors worldwide, regards not only his own patients clinic dealing with patients on dialysis machines, obesity and diabetes, his sharing of medical knowledge I am sure is valued and welcomed by thousands.

I would highly recommend if I may after personally reading to share news about his new book the Diabetes Code prevent and revers type 2 diabetes naturally, its amazing, to a degree I quote hereundre

I quote by Dr. Benjamin Bikman Associate professor young University a book with "rich scientific support, Dr. Fung has sounded the clarion call to re evaluate how we view and treat diabetes".

I quote by Dr. Karim Khan MD British Journal of Sports Medicine, "The diabetes Code clears the fog around type 2 diabetes and underscores that for most people, "it is preventable or reversible".

quoe Mark Hyman by understandin underlying cause of Diabetes Dr. Fung reveals how diabetes 2 can be prevended also reversed using natural dietary methods instead of medications

Dr. Andreas Enfeldt. Terrific Hopeful book, it could change the world.

Just a few feedbacks from no doubt reputable professionals.

From a point of view purely on a personal level.

"I feel every doctor on this planet, whether conventional or other, should have this book sitting on the shelves in their medical surgeries, and feel sure if they took a leaf out of the book regards updating any knowledge they already have from old school days or currently, whatever, will undoubtedly add to any knowledge held and hopefully prove beneficial for many, overall it gives one important message that is HOPE".

lindisfel

Expert
Bulkbiker on here met Jason and his contributions here show him and Jason Fung in a selfie as an avatar.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I believe there is some divergence of opinion in the lowcarb community over fasting and not fasting.
re Prof Phinney and Dr Jason Fung.
Derek

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I believe there is some divergence of opinion in the lowcarb community over fasting and not fasting.
re Prof Phinney and Dr Jason Fung.
Derek
I like Phinney I think he is a great scientist. His views on fasting when I listened to him made me cringe. He seemed to leave his well trodden path of scientific fact and stray onto personal opinion. I also think its good for these guys to question each other vigorously as the scientific method demands.

They are both in my opinion excellent proponents of LCHF way of eating. Im thankful we have them.

P

pollensa

Best hour i've ever spent .

Well said and I felt the same way also.

I attach herewith another interesting video between Dr. Fung and Dr. Andreas of www.dietdoctor.com. this video is much shorter, so easily and simply explained and seems to put it all into perspective in a nutshell. Dr. Fungs view is regards Diabetes, how to treat Diabets, it focus target on the CAUSE which is insulin resistence, not the symptom the sugar. It seems to myself, not a doctor and only personal opinion 100% this seems good medical sense and guidance. The emphasis seems to point to the sugars all the time? perhaps its a case to focus on the Cause? Here is the video link one may/may not depending on your individual viewing or situation may find it interesting, I loved the video and will use as a great took of gained knowledged from Dr. Fung.

Dr. Fung the perfect treaatment for diabetes video.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Reactions: Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just posted in this fasting thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/magnificent-may-fast.147599/page-13. I found that both Professor Phinney and Dr Fung were both right in my case. I.e. after more than a days fasting I lost lean mass.....however I gained it all back.
I think you are far more likely to experience the Phinney part being a pretty fit athlete rather than the overweight Type 2's that Jason treats but very interesting that even after loosing a bit of LBM you regained it so fast. Maybe they are both correct but just looking a slightly different timelines as well as completely different groups of people.

Reactions: rab5