year in and feel proper pants and stressed, any advice please

mrboobie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear forum,
just joined even tho i read the forum on a regular basis, im 35 and male and was told i had diabetes a year ago but just seem to never get anywhere with it.
I am on x2 500mg metformin with food twice a day along with 2x 80mg gliclazide.
Most mornings even before breakfast i have a high sugar reading also i am sick most morning vomiting :(
Please see below some sugar reading,
today = 17.2
28.03.15 = 11.7
19.03.15 = 20.5
17.03.15 = 16
15.03.15 = 14.7
6.3.15 = 14.4

sometimes i get the odd reading of 8 or 9 with i am please about but surely should not be that high, i drink loads of water and i do try avoiding sugar in most things, i drink occasionaly just any advice would be great, im moving to a new area soon so i hope the new doctors can help more
Hope you all have a great sunday
Also was thinking of trying the low carb high fat diet?

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning and welcome to the forum
As you know many on here advocate the LCHF diet and that's ok and certainly give it a go,
Personally I'm not as hard core about it as some on here with their strict carb limits. We have to be able to sustain this diet for the long run so whilst I believe it's a good thing I also think we have to tailor it to our own individual needs.
What sort of things are you eating?

Reactions: 10 people

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are highish fasting? readings..
Have a look at your diet .
Make a list of what you normally eat daily and have a look at the types of foods to see where you'll be able to make changes. Low Carb Is Good For controlling levels.
Do You Test Pre and After meals?

mrboobie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i eat normal things and tried to stay away from sugary stuff, probally my downfall is break, pasta and rice, u go to the doctors they tell you one thing, then the nurse another, then the hospital another lol thanks for replies guys

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread, rice and pasta are very carby, they break down very quickly into glucose. I suspect that your eating to the Nhs guidelines. Have a read through these forums.
You'll need to change your diet to help in your control of your Diabetes.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

i eat normal things and tried to stay away from sugary stuff, probally my downfall is break, pasta and rice, u go to the doctors they tell you one thing, then the nurse another, then the hospital another lol thanks for replies guys
Whatever they have told you is obviously not working out for you. I think you are right to be considering low carbing. Keep a close eye on your meter in case your current meds send you too low. Good luck.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
If you change your diet your BS will soon come down.
Look round the posts and you will get good advice.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I did that for a while too ... then I decided to stop thinking and start acting and I have never looked back.
I figured I'd give it three months see if it improved things or sent me bonkers.
Massive improvements and will be sticking with it for the rest of my unnatural.
As for the bonkers bit the jury are still out on that one.

Reactions: 11 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Welcome to the best place you could possibly have found on the net for your situation.

Reactions: 13 people

sjm1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the best place you could possibly have found on the net for your situation.

Hear, hear - a fantastic source of help, encouragement and information - shame it can't be bottled and given on prescription to Diabetics!

Reactions: 7 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi @mrboobie79 and welcome to the forum.

Read around the forum and remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. Different people can tolerate a certain amount of carbs and there is no uniform amount. Rely on your meter and a food diary to tell you what is and what is not acceptable to you.
Read through the information that @daisy1 will post for you and then ask as many questions as necessary.

Reactions: 8 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too listened to the "expert" advice and for months got nowhere. I thought I had a healthy breakfast, bran flakes with a seed sprinkle,chopped fresh fruit and half a pint of milk. and a cup of black unsweetened coffee. I stopped eating bread and only ate brown rice occasionally and brown pasta occasionally.

Then I came on this forum and discovered the LCHF diet. I found that I can't really eat any starchy carbs and have radically altered my diet. I now have a Spanish omlette for breakfast and the rest of the time live mainly on salads and stir fries to keep my BS from going too high.

You fasting glucoses are way too high in the morning and you shouldn't be being sick. You need to see your doctor about that and get a low card diet sorted as you are in danger of the long term complications and as you are still young you have a long time ahead of you and you don't want it to be an endless road of deteriorating health.

Please get some professional help and take the advice people will give you on here.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hear, hear - a fantastic source of help, encouragement and information - shame it can't be bottled and given on prescription to Diabetics!
I'm thinking of having a usb port attached to the back of my head and .....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mrboobie79

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Some good advice to follow above. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

mrboobie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks all for your input, really cheered up after hearing all of the advice and really looking forward to trying the new diet and way of life

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks all for your input, really cheered up after hearing all of the advice and really looking forward to trying the new diet and way of life

I think I can speak for all that have replied and say you are welcome.
The only other thing I can add is that you are not alone in this there are literally millions of us out there

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My concern with your readings:
5 readings in 22 days.

Do you test anymore than this?

It is important to find out which foods raise your blood levels and which ones don't.

You need to test before meals and after meals to get a balanced view of whats happening on a daily basis.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If he's following Nhs guidelines, well you know what they tell us.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear forum,
just joined even tho i read the forum on a regular basis, im 35 and male and was told i had diabetes a year ago but just seem to never get anywhere with it.
I am on x2 500mg metformin with food twice a day along with 2x 80mg gliclazide.
Most mornings even before breakfast i have a high sugar reading also i am sick most morning vomiting :(
Please see below some sugar reading,
today = 17.2
28.03.15 = 11.7
19.03.15 = 20.5
17.03.15 = 16
15.03.15 = 14.7
6.3.15 = 14.4

sometimes i get the odd reading of 8 or 9 with i am please about but surely should not be that high, i drink loads of water and i do try avoiding sugar in most things, i drink occasionaly just any advice would be great, im moving to a new area soon so i hope the new doctors can help more
Hope you all have a great sunday
Hi - and welcome! You are in the best place for great advice from people who know how it is! Lchf has been a revalation for me, reduced my levels from 61 to 38 in 18 weeks, stopped meds in January and to date over 5st lost! I certainly intend sticking with it for life now, don't miss the bread, rice, pasta etc and feel so good! Have a good read around and keep posting!