Big bleed from Infusion Site

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Sorry for the dramatic headline. I know everyone gets those little bleeds into their infusion set cannula when they hit a capillary. But the problem I'm having is quite different.

Twice now, when a new cannula has been extremely painful to insert - and stayed painful; the cannula is completely clear and looks normal- I've then removed it and like a dam bursting a flow of blood has emerged. Enough blood to run down my legs. It stops with pressure applied to the site - like an injury. But it leaves a painful blue lump of a bruise. This second time it has stayed very painful for a long time - my pharmacist gave me lidocaine cream for it.

I'm not on any blood thinners and never had any bleeding issues previously. I've only been on the pump 5 months and this has happened twice in the last 6 weeks.
Upon contacting my pump clinic they don't know what it is. The AccuChek Aviva rep says it can happen when capillaries are more open from a shower - I didn't change the cannula at a showering time. The pharmacist said it may be a little tissue has been caught by the cannula which then stops the flow of blood, building pressure which translates as pain. This is then released when the cannula is removed. DSN says it might be, but they don't know.

I see on this forum discussions of the cannula bleed being solved by using the angled infusion sets. The Accuchek rep did advise me to change to their angled infusion set Tenderlink - but it doesn't have an insertion device. :(
I saw the mention of the Tandem Cleo which does have an insertion device, but I'm guessing it's not on the NHS - yet to find out.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Feeling weird that pump clinic are stumped.... :(

PS. this is happening on my tummy.

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had bleeds on rare occasions although not as bad as yours sounds. There was no pain from the cannula before or after it was removed but it did leave me with a large bruise. I just assumed it had nicked a blood vessel on the way out.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That might be right for what happened to you but I think the pain prior to removal is part of what's gone wrong with me.
Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Lizzie, as you have the Accuchek pump it has a Luer lock on the cartridge which means other pump make consumables can be used as long as they have the luer lock connection as well.
Animas do a INSET30 which is obviously at a 30 degree angle, so ask your DSN if you can try a couple of these. Another option is to try a different length of cannula and see if that helps. Have you lost or gained weight since being on the pump as this might make a difference?

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lizzie, as you have the Accuchek pump it has a Luer lock on the cartridge which means other pump make consumables can be used as long as they have the luer lock connection as well.

If it is the accu chek insight pump they do not have luer lock connections. It is all inbuilt in the black bit

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If it is the accu chek insight pump they do not have luer lock connections. It is all inbuilt in the black bit
I didn't realise the insight had been on the market for 5 months if it is the insight then above advice is no good :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have had one really bad bleed that literally ran full flow from bum to ankle!! And the bruising.

However, if the set hurts when outting it in then this is a warning that something is wrong so change area...

If set feels wrong, it is wrong.

As for blood it seems that your stomach isn't an ideal place? I assume you are using the shorter 6mm sets?

Try your bum - they'll be less bleeds... My stomach due to being lean is non usable as sets hurt and bleed. I was told originally to use stomach but it is impossible for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There sre no other sets from other manufacturers that can be used with the Insight as far as I am aware.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use my tummy any more, but when I did I had a few big bleeds like that, always when removing my cannula. It used to pour out and I'd be shouting to my daughter to get a towel as I was catching the blood in my hand which was rapidly filling up. I never found an answer to it. I think my tummy was just sensitive in places and didn't have much fat.

NB - I used Accuchek Tenderlink sets and needles when I had those bleeds so I can't see they'd be an answer.

Maybe try another part of your body? I use my bum and my thighs. I've had nothing like those big bleeds since swapping.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
2 bums and thighs with less bleeds and hassle... Do consider it. My bum is still perfect after the majority of 30 + years of using.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all I have had those issues to on a different. I was told I was putting the site direction in wrong ie it was the way the site went in that was causing pain and bleeds because I was hitting the wrong areas. Don't know if that helps but really hope it improves for you

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much for all the replies, so glad I'm not the only one! It's an Aviva combo pump but can't get other brands of infusion sets as will disqualify warranty- apparently. I also discovered the Tandem brand isn't even available in UK so no go there. Will definitely try the other sites, easier than self insertion of Tenderlink that's for sure. Glad to know Tenderlink didn't help Azure so don't have to try.
The irony is that whilst I was on pump waiting list I kept my tummy free from injections so it would be fresh for pump lol. My thighs are quite ruined from 30 years of injections so it's my bum to the rescue.
Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how I get on. X

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't think so. They stopped working a long time ago and never recovered.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless it's different in terms of cannula Vs injection - I assume not working for one means not working for any...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks so much for all the replies, so glad I'm not the only one! It's an Aviva combo pump but can't get other brands of infusion sets as will disqualify warranty- apparently
Who told you that using a different cannula invalidated the warranty?

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 'd*ckhead' accuchek rep. He's the worst type of salesman. He told my dsn.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The 'd*ckhead' accuchek rep. He's the worst type of salesman. He told my dsn.
I would email roche directly and ask them what the situation is. As the cartridge has a Luer lock then it stands to reason any set can be used that has a luer lock.
Sales man must be on commission me thinks. As far as I am concerned the cannula has no bearing what so ever on the pump warranty.