Big bleed from Infusion Site

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought that myself-why use a luer lock when manufacturing. It's a moot point anyways when Tandem not available in this country.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi

Sorry for the dramatic headline. I know everyone gets those little bleeds into their infusion set cannula when they hit a capillary. But the problem I'm having is quite different.

Twice now, when a new cannula has been extremely painful to insert - and stayed painful; the cannula is completely clear and looks normal- I've then removed it and like a dam bursting a flow of blood has emerged. Enough blood to run down my legs. It stops with pressure applied to the site - like an injury. But it leaves a painful blue lump of a bruise. This second time it has stayed very painful for a long time - my pharmacist gave me lidocaine cream for it.

I'm not on any blood thinners and never had any bleeding issues previously. I've only been on the pump 5 months and this has happened twice in the last 6 weeks.
Upon contacting my pump clinic they don't know what it is. The AccuChek Aviva rep says it can happen when capillaries are more open from a shower - I didn't change the cannula at a showering time. The pharmacist said it may be a little tissue has been caught by the cannula which then stops the flow of blood, building pressure which translates as pain. This is then released when the cannula is removed. DSN says it might be, but they don't know.

I see on this forum discussions of the cannula bleed being solved by using the angled infusion sets. The Accuchek rep did advise me to change to their angled infusion set Tenderlink - but it doesn't have an insertion device. :(
I saw the mention of the Tandem Cleo which does have an insertion device, but I'm guessing it's not on the NHS - yet to find out.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Feeling weird that pump clinic are stumped.... :(

PS. this is happening on my tummy.

Hello, I am not on a pump, but I just wanted to say I hope you get it sorted out soon and things will start to be less painful and anxious for you.

Take care and all the best RRB x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you know of any other good infusion sets in UK?
Animas have infusion sets as do advanced Therapeutics, that have luer locks. There are probably more I'm sure others will know :) Advanced T sell the Cleo 90 infusion set and that's great if you want a 90 degree angle.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas have infusion sets as do advanced Therapeutics, that have luer locks. There are probably more I'm sure others will know :) Advanced T sell the Cleo 90 infusion set and that's great if you want a 90 degree angle.
Well from other replies it seems to be a site fat level issue rather than infusion set thing so going to swap to using my bum rather than change infusion. It was the Roche rep who suggested angled set- he hadn't heard of problem.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I take it you are using the flexlink?
Personally I've used 6mm rapids in my bum for the vast majority of time. Other people have mentioned elsewhere on the flexlinks not working so well as the rapids and bigger holes left afterward.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Tenderlinks in my thighs (13mm) and Rapid D 6mm in my bum (thanks to a suggestion from donnellysdogs). I had been using the Tenderlink 17mm in my bum but was having absorption problems. I was nervous about changing sets to start with, particularly going from the plastic cannula to a metal needle, but I'm very glad I did change now.

And I agree that the plastic cannulas left bigger holes and marks than the metal needles. That surprised me, but it was true for me.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He he they can be pants. Could you not speak to someone else? Or get a referral to another pct to get different support?

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Tenderlinks in my thighs (13mm) and Rapid D 6mm in my bum (thanks to a suggestion from donnellysdogs). I had been using the Tenderlink 17mm in my bum but was having absorption problems. I was nervous about changing sets to start with, particularly going from the plastic cannula to a metal needle, but I'm very glad I did change now.

And I agree that the plastic cannulas left bigger holes and marks than the metal needles. That surprised me, but it was true for me.
That is very interesting. I have the 6mm so I'll stick with them. My thighs had terrible absorption prior to recent change to pump so they'll be glad of the rest.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take it you are using the flexlink?
Personally I've used 6mm rapids in my bum for the vast majority of time. Other people have mentioned elsewhere on the flexlinks not working so well as the rapids and bigger holes left afterward.
I don't think I even know what rapids are.... That I have 6mm flexlink?......

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems like most pct s favour accu check and Medtronic?
NI has an awful history of civil servants ordering a stock of pumps without consulting diabetes staff so we're stuck with the same 3 pumps across NI - accuchek, Medtronic & animas. The consumables are ordered for each patient individually from London as consumables have only recently got extra different funding to allow more people access to pumps - lots of complaints were made & negative media. So I could change infusion sets to others on NHS.... I think.... It's a nightmare here.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He he they can be pants. Could you not speak to someone else? Or get a referral to another pct to get different support?
I think not as he's the accuchek rep for the whole of the island of Ireland. You can tell how limited the nos of pumps here are from that alone.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
O I am sorry Lizzie. It does seem to be limited in lots of places. I know my pct were generous with a choice of 5 but now it's just one. Would they be open to individual circumstances funding? It can be done in UK but I'm not sure with Ireland. Personally there is one company I'd never go near again and the reason was enough to get me a different type