Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Have you had any contact with DUK about your results. They still seem to think there is no long term data about the safety of low carb. Even though they KNOW that their recommended diet results in diabetes being progressive.

Occasionally they publish letters asking about low carb - only to shoot them down.

Letter from T1:
I'm surprised low carb diets aren't recommended .... This is a simple seemingly healthy solution & it works for me.

Editor replies:
It's brilliant that you're feeling better
DUK realise that some T1s reduce the amount of carbs in their diet
a low carb diet is not recommended for T1s because there is not enough evidence about its effectiveness on longer-term health.
Also .... could impact on cardiovascular & kidney health ...​

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you had any contact with DUK about your results. They still seem to think there is no long term data about the safety of low carb. Even though they KNOW that their recommended diet results in diabetes being progressive.

Occasionally they publish letters asking about low carb - only to shoot them down.

Letter from T1:
I'm surprised low carb diets aren't recommended .... This is a simple seemingly healthy solution & it works for me.

Editor replies:
a low carb diet is not recommended for T1s because there is not enough evidence about its effectiveness on longer-term health.
Also .... could impact on cardiovascular & kidney health ...​
I think its fair to say DUK remain nervous about low-carbing -but at least there is more talk of respecting patient choice and working with it. My hope is that blogs like these are gradually democratizing medicine so at least folk can find out what their choices are. I worry that a lot of health care professionals are not aware of low carb as a valid choice which is why I try and publicize my research via open access as much as I can.

Another concern is that its possible patients end up on medication before lifestyle modifications like diet have been given a proper trial. Its my experience that given a choice patients usually opt to try weight loss rather than going on lifelong medication in T2DM and do surprisingly well. Its this that will be given an airing in my next publication.

My current work centers around Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) which is closely related to the metabolic syndrome and T2DM. Big Pharma have nothing to offer for this, and as it affects 20% of the western world finding a remedy is important. Currently my research is under wraps as it has gone out to peer review. I must wait -fingers crossed to hear what the experts make of it.
If it turns out that low carb is really effective for this condition imagine the boost that could given to the approach.

can I say again how much I have appreciated the support of all you low carb bloggers

Reactions: 17 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its fair to say DUK remain nervous about low-carbing -but at least there is more talk of respecting patient choice and working with it. My hope is that blogs like these are gradually democratizing medicine so at least folk can find out what their choices are. I worry that a lot of health care professionals are not aware of low carb as a valid choice which is why I try and publicize my research via open access as much as I can.

Another concern is that its possible patients end up on medication before lifestyle modifications like diet have been given a proper trial. Its my experience that given a choice patients usually opt to try weight loss rather than going on lifelong medication in T2DM and do surprisingly well. Its this that will be given an airing in my next publication.

My current work centers around Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) which is closely related to the metabolic syndrome and T2DM. Big Pharma have nothing to offer for this, and as it affects 20% of the western world finding a remedy is important. Currently my research is under wraps as it has gone out to peer review. I must wait -fingers crossed to hear what the experts make of it.
If it turns out that low carb is really effective for this condition imagine the boost that could given to the approach.

can I say again how much I have appreciated the support of all you low carb bloggers

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Once again, through my own experience, for example. NAFL, high liver function, high kidney.
All the usual scans and warnings but couldn't get them down until low carb, now fit and healthy all of them!

The wife (T2) has had a succession of poor liver function and was warned about NAFL. (She hasn't had any alcohol for well over 10 years).
A recent change in diet. (Reduction of carbs) and her latest function test shows her going the right way.

Just don't understand why the reluctance to except what is logical and in front of their faces!
Even in the seventies/ eighties there was a no beer/ no bread/ no spud diet!

Here's hoping you can further the cause.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Re NAFLD I had an ALT of 51 when diagnosed last March, that was down to 17 in July with LCHF. March I also had a Gamma GT of 217 which I think is also fatty liver related - that wasn't done in July, I assume because the ALT was back in normal range. Next tests are due in a couple of months.

Reactions: 6 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@Southport GP , hi! :) maybe it might help with your research. I've had nafld for 3 years, and I've tried everything--avoid alcohol, juicing, low fat---nothing worked except when I did the low carb diet :) my liver is clear of it and is now healthy. Without this forum and the wonderful members contributing with their anecdotal experiences eg @sanguine, it wouldn't have been possible :)

Reactions: 15 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm coming to realize there is a possible link between salt and insulin.

Its possible that insulin causes salt retention which may contribute to high blood pressure -this could help explain why someone going on the low carb diet passes so much urine in the first few days. The lower insulin levels could lead to the kidneys loosing more salt and this could in turn lead to fluid loss. For some folk the loss of salt may lead to muscle cramps.
If I were re-writing my diet sheet I probably should mention that if folk get muscle cramps its just possible they need a bit more salt ? Have many of you found this ??

Update re low carbs and the liver/type two diabetes; at last a probable publication date of September -hopefully this year!

Reactions: 10 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this link is covered in detail by Volek & Phinney in their books. Pretty sure Phinney covers the topic in one of his low carb downunder videos on Youtube. Their recommendation is drinking broth/bouillon to avoid "low carb flu".

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found the video - he discusses salt at around 15:00 into the talk:

He doesn't mention insulin in the video though I'm sure I've read something along those lines - it all blurs together after a while :bookworm:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When the gym that I use enrolls clients on the low carb diet as the initial part of their programme they "strongly recommend" taking multi-vitamin, zinc and magnesium supplements to reduce the impact of the "low carb flu". I found this to be very effective. I believe it's also a recommendation made amongst bodybuilders when cutting for competition.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Volleck and Phinney (as @Indy51 says) cover this in excellent detail.

I think they have a large section, possibly a whole chapter, complete with references to studies, in their book 'The Art and Science of Low Carb Living'

It's an excellent book that I would recommend to anyone interested in LC

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm coming to realize there is a possible link between salt and insulin.

Its possible that insulin causes salt retention which may contribute to high blood pressure -this could help explain why someone going on the low carb diet passes so much urine in the first few days. The lower insulin levels could lead to the kidneys loosing more salt and this could in turn lead to fluid loss. For some folk the loss of salt may lead to muscle cramps.
If I were re-writing my diet sheet I probably should mention that if folk get muscle cramps its just possible they need a bit more salt ? Have many of you found this ??

Update re low carbs and the liver/type two diabetes; at last a probable publication date of September -hopefully this year!

At the same time as diagnosis and almost immediately going reduced carb, I also relocated for a few months to the Tropics. Shortly thereafter my relationship with salt changed markedly. At that stage I hadn't read about it, but my body just craved it. Initially, I assumed it was just me acclimatising to the longer trip in the heat, then, in time, I did the reading.

To be honest, to onlookers, it's a bit of a leap of faith, akin to the full fat issue. My OH was utterly horrified to observe me salt my already salted peanuts. After some compulsory reading he accepted a bit of an increase in salt intake for himself too, as he was reducing his carb intake too, in support of me. He later, somewhat reluctantly, agreed he felt the better of the additional salt.

Each time I am back in UK, the instinctive need for more salt moderates a bit, but it is definitely up on the "no added salt" pre-reduced carb stance.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Letter from T1:

Editor replies:
Also .... could impact on cardiovascular & kidney health ...

"Also .... could impact on cardiovascular & kidney health ..."

I must admit this is worrying me a bit. I started lchf in January this year, 30-50g carbs a day at most. From Feb my kidney finction took a nosedive, from nothing to worry about to 30% two weeks ago, and 28% yesterday.
Could this be anything to do with lchf?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just googled "low carb impact on kidney health" and the "problems", if any, appear to be related to HIGH PROTEIN diets. Some people, and it would appear that the writer at DUK is one of these, seem to mix up HIGH FAT and HIGH PROTEIN. The diet advocated by many diabetics is, of course high fat.
Interestingly, there were several suggestions that LCHF could be highly beneficial to kidney health, even benefitting badly damaged kidneys. So @rowan , I shouldn't worry about it. If LCHF is keeping your sugars down, your whole body will be benefitting.
Sally

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Also .... could impact on cardiovascular & kidney health ..."

I must admit this is worrying me a bit. I started lchf in January this year, 30-50g carbs a day at most. From Feb my kidney finction took a nosedive, from nothing to worry about to 30% two weeks ago, and 28% yesterday.
Could this be anything to do with lchf?
If I recall @CollieBoy had a material improvement in his kidney health as he controlled his diabetes utilising LCHF.

@CollieBoy - Apologies for calling out to you, but I wonder if you have anything to offer Rowan.

Apologies for the diversion @Southport GP.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked it up on google and couldn't find anything either, except the high protein thing which I'm not on.
But I have to ask after seeing what the editor of DUK says :confused:

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My kidney health, as well as all my other inner organs improved dramatically since going on a low carb diet.

Mind you I'm weird!:):rolleyes:

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The LCHF diet does involve dieters having a lot of faith in what people are saying it can do. The diet goes against just about everything we've been told to do. For people with high cholesterol or problems with their kidney function, it's even harder.

I'm doing it and it's working for me (lost weight and BG down), at first I didn't feel completely comfortable having extra salt or having full fat cream in my coffee. But, I got leg cramps at night when I first started LCHF and having extra salt stopped it straight away! And I'm getting used to (and enjoying) the extra dairy fat. I don't even miss carbs much because I've started to find substitutes and my body is used to it now.

I look forward to research being published and this diet becoming accepted by people in general so that I can't stop justifying what I eat to people who don't understand. I've lost count of the number of times someone has commented when I have mayonnaise on my salad, snack on nuts or have cream in coffee 'I thought you were on a diet. ..' I don't actually see it as a diet now.

Reactions: 8 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
If I forget to salt my food I get leg cramp during the night. Always.
For 55 years I have never put salt on my food (probably ample in process food that I no longer eat). Since LcHf diet I need to put salt on my food to avoid cramp, but changing a lifetime habit means I sometimes forget, which always results in cramp during the night. Regular salt on my food - no cramp.

Edited to add. Although I am a T1 (honeymoon) I am not on insulin. Salt or lack of does not affect my BG levels.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If I recall @CollieBoy had a material improvement in his kidney health as he controlled his diabetes utilising LCHF.

@CollieBoy - Apologies for calling out to you, but I wonder if you have anything to offer Rowan.

Apologies for the diversion @Southport GP.

Haven't got any specific advice but only to say that under a LCHF regime my kidney function eGRF came up to a 32-34 where it has remained (except when I get a "water infection" but that it comes back up in 2-3 weeks!