Out of curiousity

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

"Lurkers" (at least by my definition) are people (generally) too private to post until they find their feet. Seen in on so many US forums it's not funny. Not my modus operandi mind you, but it happens.
Someone earlier mentioned a similar thing about them seeming to be "Americanisms" and to me, this being being Diabetes.Co. UK, we should be using British terms...if we really need "labels" at all....
Welcoming of course, as we do, members from all over the world

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

When I first joined I was new to forums so I didn't know that the labels really meant nothing at all...they made me trust replies from regulars and legends.... Whereas I've since found that some just like to post a lot and full of bull.....
My "status" is probably accounted for by as many posts on chatty threads as the ones on the diabetes threads ....

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Someone earlier mentioned a similar thing about them seeming to be "Americanisms" and to me, this being being Diabetes.Co. UK, we should be using British terms...if we really need "labels" at all....
Welcoming of course, as we do, members from all over the world

Not everyone is "familiar" with British terms. The definition of "lurker" in the US is the same as it is in Australia. It does not imply anything sinister at all. Sheesh.

Mike

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first joined I was new to forums so I didn't know that the labels really meant nothing at all...they made me trust replies from regulars and legends.... Whereas I've since found that some just like to post a lot and full of bull.....
My "status" is probably accounted for by as many posts on chatty threads as the ones on the diabetes threads ....

.... There has been a fair bit of "Kipling" on about "cake".... ;)

S

Sable_Jan

Not everyone is "familiar" with British terms. The definition of "lurker" in the US is the same as it is in Australia. It does not imply anything sinister at all. Sheesh.

Mike
True, but same goes for Americanism ;). Just meant that UK site....UK terms..... No offence meant to any one.... But "lurking" in the UK is something done when misdeeds are likely to be committed, it IS with evil intent...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't give a **** really as long as you folks help me when I need it and I can help others when they need it .
Does it really matter :shy::shy:

Probably not Jayjay, but it was the way it was done, I do think that it bugs people ( it does me,it's my bee in the bonnet syndrome again ) :oops: ;)
Look how many responses there have been on this thread and look at the responses to this thread posted by Admin on 23 April 2015, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-has-the-forum-helped-you.75995/, says a lot, doesn't it :wideyed:

Any one heard from anyone at HQ yet, per chance o_O :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
None taken ...... thanks for that :) Interpretations can be easily lost between countries. Lurkers (as we know them) simply search websites.

"Trawlers" (as we label them) are entirely different. I have to keep up with your "lingo", that of the US as well as reminding myself that I can't speak in my own lest it might be taken the wrong way. In effect, three languages with subtle and different overtones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
True, but same goes for Americanism ;). Just meant that UK site....UK terms..... No offence meant to any one.... But "lurking" in the UK is something done when misdeeds are likely to be committed, it IS with evil intent...

A somewhat sinister term in the English language, To Lurk:-

Dictionary
lurk

: to be in a hidden place : to wait in a secret or hidden place especially in order to do something wrong or harmful

computers : to read messages written by other people on the Internet in a newsgroup, chat room, etc., without writing any messages yourself

Reactions: 6 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
A somewhat sinister term in the English language, To Lurk:-

Dictionary
lurk

: to be in a hidden place : to wait in a secret or hidden place especially in order to do something wrong or harmful

computers : to read messages written by other people on the Internet in a newsgroup, chat room, etc., without writing any messages yourself
Thank you RRB, my interpretation of the word was correct then................

Reactions: 6 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Any one heard from anyone at HQ yet, per chance
As I was the one that started this thread, I'm hoping to receive an explanation asap, however a reply directed to all of us who have posted would be perfectly acceptable. I suspect though there is an large overhaul going on, Legends and Seniors disappearing, Lurkers and Rookies coming in and they probably haven't finished yet:rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As I was the one that started this thread, I'm hoping to receive an explanation asap, however a reply directed to all of us who have posted would be perfectly acceptable. I suspect though there is an large overhaul going on, Legends and Seniors disappearing, Lurkers and Rookies coming in and they probably haven't finished yet:rolleyes:

I did tag admin and Giverny in a post last night. In a way it could be similar to companies to introduce new options to get people to join up ( If you join that Insurance company, you wont have to pay your monthly policy for 3 months) or a £50 incentive, dangling a carrot so to speak, bait on a big hook, never mind the members who have been there for years :rolleyes: but just my gut feeling on this subject.:watching:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I like the term lurker. I think it would suit me.:rolleyes:

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Probably not Jayjay, but it was the way it was done, I do think that it bugs people ( it does me,it's my bee in the bonnet syndrome again ) :oops: ;)
Look how many responses there have been on this thread and look at the responses to this thread posted by Admin on 23 April 2015, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-has-the-forum-helped-you.75995/, says a lot, doesn't it :wideyed:

Any one heard from anyone at HQ yet, per chance o_O :)
Your right it does BUG a lot of people and it would be nice to know in advance or even why it's going to happen so I'll take it that my hands have been slapped and I will say sorry .:oops:

S

Sable_Jan

None taken ...... thanks for that :) Interpretations can be easily lost between countries. Lurkers (as we know them) simply search websites.

"Trawlers" (as we label them) are entirely different. I have to keep up with your "lingo", that of the US as well as reminding myself that I can't speak in my own lest it might be taken the wrong way. In effect, three languages with subtle and different overtones
That's good :). You're one of the nice guys and I wouldn't have wanted to cause any upset....
X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Your right it does BUG a lot of people and it would be nice to know in advance or even why it's going to happen so I'll take it that my hands have been slapped and I will say sorry .:oops:

Nothing to say sorry about, Jay1Jay1:) June asked a question and has got such a lot of replies, shows how people feel about it, good, bad or indifferent ;)

Best wishes RRB

Status
Not open for further replies.