1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Out of curiousity

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by June_C, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Someone earlier mentioned a similar thing about them seeming to be "Americanisms" and to me, this being being Diabetes.Co. UK, we should be using British terms...if we really need "labels" at all....
    Welcoming of course, as we do, members from all over the world

• Like Like x 5
  2. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

When I first joined I was new to forums so I didn't know that the labels really meant nothing at all...they made me trust replies from regulars and legends.... Whereas I've since found that some just like to post a lot and full of bull.....
    My "status" is probably accounted for by as many posts on chatty threads as the ones on the diabetes threads ....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Not everyone is "familiar" with British terms. The definition of "lurker" in the US is the same as it is in Australia. It does not imply anything sinister at all. Sheesh.

Mike

• Like Like x 4
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

.... There has been a fair bit of "Kipling" on about "cake".... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

True, but same goes for Americanism ;). Just meant that UK site....UK terms..... No offence meant to any one.... But "lurking" in the UK is something done when misdeeds are likely to be committed, it IS with evil intent...

• Like Like x 4
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Probably not Jayjay, but it was the way it was done, I do think that it bugs people ( it does me,it's my bee in the bonnet syndrome again ) :oops: ;)
    Look how many responses there have been on this thread and look at the responses to this thread posted by Admin on 23 April 2015, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-has-the-forum-helped-you.75995/, says a lot, doesn't it :wideyed:

Any one heard from anyone at HQ yet, per chance o_O :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

None taken ...... thanks for that :) Interpretations can be easily lost between countries. Lurkers (as we know them) simply search websites.

"Trawlers" (as we label them) are entirely different. I have to keep up with your "lingo", that of the US as well as reminding myself that I can't speak in my own lest it might be taken the wrong way. In effect, three languages with subtle and different overtones

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robinredbreast

A somewhat sinister term in the English language, To Lurk:-

Dictionary
    lurk

: to be in a hidden place : to wait in a secret or hidden place especially in order to do something wrong or harmful

computers : to read messages written by other people on the Internet in a newsgroup, chat room, etc., without writing any messages yourself

• Like Like x 6
  9. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Thank you RRB, my interpretation of the word was correct then................

• Like Like x 6
  10. June_C

As I was the one that started this thread, I'm hoping to receive an explanation asap, however a reply directed to all of us who have posted would be perfectly acceptable. I suspect though there is an large overhaul going on, Legends and Seniors disappearing, Lurkers and Rookies coming in and they probably haven't finished yet:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Robinredbreast

I did tag admin and Giverny in a post last night. In a way it could be similar to companies to introduce new options to get people to join up ( If you join that Insurance company, you wont have to pay your monthly policy for 3 months) or a £50 incentive, dangling a carrot so to speak, bait on a big hook, never mind the members who have been there for years :rolleyes: but just my gut feeling on this subject.:watching:

• Like Like x 5
  12. Mongoose39uk

Mongoose39uk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Probably just a forum software upgrade.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Mongoose39uk

<<< Regular, well yeah with an high fiber diet.

• Like Like x 2
  14. June_C

I don't know if I'd call it an upgrade, more like a downgrade :bored:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Mongoose39uk

Shrug hardly of earth shattering importance.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Personally I like the term lurker. I think it would suit me.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
  17. JAY1JAY1

JAY1JAY1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your right it does BUG a lot of people and it would be nice to know in advance or even why it's going to happen so I'll take it that my hands have been slapped and I will say sorry .:oops:

18. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

That's good :). You're one of the nice guys and I wouldn't have wanted to cause any upset....
    X

• Like Like x 2
  19. Robinredbreast

Nothing to say sorry about, Jay1Jay1:) June asked a question and has got such a lot of replies, shows how people feel about it, good, bad or indifferent ;)

Best wishes RRB

• Like Like x 2
  20. Robinredbreast

He definitely is Jan :)

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook