What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
B: 3 good sausages and coffeencream
L: tinned salmon, mayo and a 9 bar. BG 6.1 at 2 hrs. Awesome!!!
D: huge salad with greenery, peppers, cherry toms, coleslaw, cucumber, cress, 3 bean salad in tomato sauce, hard boiled egg, 2 small felafel and a tiny onion bhaji. Delish, but a bit too high carb for me. Finished off with whipped cream and grated 70% choc. In a separate bowl, not on top of the salad. :)
What's a 9 bar ?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure that they're working for me. I hoped they would be a good snack option when out walking, but had one yesterday when out as I'd not had a proper lunch, dashed over a mile at speed and had one to stave off a potential hypo whilst waiting for the bus and was 8.3 when I got home, although I dropped quickly after that. I've had a similar reaction each time I've had one, a rise of at least 2 - although there are going to be times when that's maybe desirable. Granted, this was a higher carb carob one, I'm saving the peanut ones for my hols, but this was the last of the ones I got locally to test for allergic reaction before spending too much on them.

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
B: Italian bacon fried crisp; portabello mushroom fried in butter and bacon fat; fried egg....
L: Cold salmon; asparagus with lemon may and coleslaw...
D: Steak, buttered cabbage, green beans...followed by chocolate cake with clotted cream...
No hot chocolate for me tonight then... :)

Reactions: 7 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast.....2 eggs fried in butter with cheese.....coffee
Lunch......testing out a whole Lidl High protein roll, with bacon, tomato and mayo...EDIT.....Delighted to report my bg only went up 1.3 after this lunch...so the Lidl High Protein rolls REALLY work for me :D :D :D :D
Dinner....Cheese omelette with spinach, tomato and mayo
raspberries and no added sugar jelly

Last edited by a moderator:

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
breakfast scrambled eggs
lunch tuna salad
tea roast pork , loads of steamed veg , one new potato .

Reactions: 10 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
You are lucky Gezzabelle.I tried those lidl rolls 2 nights in a row with a burger.I did this to confirm the first nights result because I couldn't believe it.First night I spiked to 9.3,tonight to 10. I didn't spike that much with the occasional slice of burgen seeded bread.So disappointed because I really liked it :(

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Coyo and a few raspberries
L: Homemade cream of vegetable soup, 2 babybels
D: 2 egg frittata with beef mince and asparagus, raspberries & cream

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, well, well,

We drove past a Lidl today, and on the spur of the moment, I swerved in (to feeble screams from the passenger seat), and bought four of these high protein rolls that people have been talking about.

Now, I have a terrible history with wheat. It spikes me something rotten.
So I wasn't expecting much.
And as a precautionary measure, I smothered half of it with butter and marmite, and the other half with cheese and mayo
(Shudder to think of the calories)

Results: a 0.7mmol/l rise at 1.5 hrs. Back to normal at 2 hrs.

Awesome.

Clearly more experimentation required
Sorry @yvonne49 , I can't quite believe it myself!

Reactions: 15 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Wow Brunneria...... I am so jealous. I had high hopes and it was fantastic to have a roll but I knew it spiked me quite quickly,I could feel it and my glucose meter confirmed.I can't think why.I have sometimes eaten things with higher carbs and didn't get that reaction.
Maybe I should smother it in butter :) instead of a burger. Maybe I'll give it another try........ one more chance.I bought 8 anyway ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm
Don't get too excited - yet.

I just remembered something that may have screwed the results. I had a small bowl of yog and ground almonds and flaxseed about 2 hrs before the bread roll.

If I had started releasing insulin to deal with the yog, it may have reduced the bread spike at the same time...

I'll have another roll, this time with less butter and marmite, tomorrow.

Mustn't get my hopes up too high!

Reactions: 5 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Ok let us know what result you get tomorrow.I think I will wait a couple of days,2 spikes in a row is more than enough for now.I can feel my feet reacting already:(.
Hopefully you do well with it second time around too.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
You are lucky Gezzabelle.I tried those lidl rolls 2 nights in a row with a burger.I did this to confirm the first nights result because I couldn't believe it.First night I spiked to 9.3,tonight to 10. I didn't spike that much with the occasional slice of burgen seeded bread.So disappointed because I really liked it :(
Me too... :( Make my own with almond and coconut, milled flax and hemp seeds...

Reactions: 8 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B: Coyo and a few raspberries
L: Homemade cream of vegetable soup, 2 babybels
D: 2 egg frittata with beef mince and asparagus, raspberries & cream
Perfect... :)

Reactions: 3 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Breakfast One ryvita
Lunch avocado with home made coleslaw
Tea will be cold meats with salad

Reactions: 10 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast....scrambled eggs coffee....4.9 up to 5.6
Lunch....Salmon, spinach, tomato,mayo 1/4 Lidl roll spread with butter....glass of cold flavoured water...5.6 up to 6.0
Dinner....whole Lidl roll toasted and spread with butter with cheese toasted on top
Raspberries and low sugar jelly.....reading to follow.........and the result is from 4.7 to 6.5 !!!!!!! WOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too... :( Make my own with almond and coconut, milled flax and hemp seeds...
aww sorry to hear....I guess I just got lucky with them and it's such a relief to find something bread like cos I was missing it so much.

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww sorry to hear....I went up a little first time I tried them but nothing as high as bread spikes me...and with continued use of them the reaction seems to be getting less. I started with half a roll first and then had a whole one a day or two later and the reaction wasn't bad at all. Now I have either half or even a quarter of one most days and my bg doesn't seem to mind at all. A whole one with bacon and tomato with butter and mayo went up from 5.8 to 7.1 which is the highest numbers I have had so far. Half a roll buttered with bacon and tomato = 5.5 to 6.2...perhaps trying half a roll with fat added via butter might work?