Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Michael - one thing I would suggest is just to take a day at a time and don't try to find out/learn about everything all in one go. I don't mean you shouldn't research these things, absolutely you should, but it doesn't all have to be done at once, assimilate it a bit at a time.
Good advice - there is so much out there!

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My name is Andrew
How old are you? 24
Are you male or female? Male
Which country are you from? Northern Ireland and England
Which city/area do you live in? Stoke-on-Trent
Are you religious? Yes, I've grown up in a traditional Christian home and it's fundamental in my lifestyle.
Pick three words to describe your personality? Friendly, Caring and Honest
Do you have any pets? No
Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft.
Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Love watching all sports and do alot of running, cycling and walking.
Do you get angry easily? Nope - I'm a teacher how could I get angry?
Do you have any tattoos or piercings? No
What is your favourite flag? The Nepalese Flag cause it's unique and out of the ordinary.
Ever gone camping? Of course
Ever been in love? Still searching for that...
Ever used fake tan? No, I like my skin colour
Which countries have you visited? Ireland, France and Thailand
Favourite city? Paris
List your five favourite TV programmes. Never watch TV honestly...
List your five favourite films. Toy Story, 1,2 and 3, Public Enemies and Taken. Not a huge movie dude.
Are you wealthy? A huge student debt, so no.
Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, I'm a secondary school teacher
List the subjects you study/have studied. History, Economic History, Economics, Politics, Religious Education and Secondary PGCE
What do you like most about yourself? Motivated and perseverance to battle on at anything.
What do you like least about yourself? Putting my foot in it haha

Reactions: 2 people

LoopyLise

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
- What is your name? Lisa
- How old are you? 41
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? Uk
- Which city/area do you live in? Leicestershire
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Bubbly, happy, friendly
- Do you have any pets? Yes 2 cats George and Nellie
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?none
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? None
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes and still am
- Ever used fake tan? Nope
- Which countries have you visited? Canada, Spain France
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Eastenders, Emmerdale, coronation street, holyoakes Waterloo road
- List your five favourite films. Fault in our stars, my sisters keeper, ET,
- Are you wealthy? Yes I have a wonderful hubby, 4 children and 2 grandchildren
- Do you work? If so, as what? Laundry assistant in a disability home.
- What do you like most about yourself? I'm friendly
- What do you like least about yourself? Too trusting
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1434407160.780670.jpg

octoba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

My name is Oliver, 38 years old, half spanish, half german, living in Portugal at the moment.
I have been "recently" diagnosed with type 1 "teen" diabetes after having several episodes while travelling in Italy for work.
I am now insulin dependant both fast and long acting, fortunately without the need of an insulin pump as I have quite a good diabetes management, so far.
As for the rest here it goes:
  • - Do you have any pets? 3 Cats
  • - Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft and Android until the end
  • - Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Soccer, Skateboarding
  • - Do you get angry easily? Yeah, I have always been a hothead.
  • - Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Just a little tattoo in the back of the neck and some empty ear holes from prevous personalities.
  • - List your five favourite musicians/bands. The Doors, Depeche Mode, Moderat, Waldeck, The Black Keys (Pre 2014)
  • - What would you say your favourite music genre is? I have a quite a big spectrum of music genres that I enjoy
  • - What is your favourite flag? Never thought about this one.... Jamaica :)
  • - Ever gone camping? Yeah, in school, not a fan.
  • - Ever been in love? Yes
  • - Ever used fake tan? Nah, not worth the effort
  • - Favourite city? Lisbon Portugal
  • - List your five favourite TV programmes. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, My Name is Earl, Modern Family, Silicon Valley, The Big Bang Theory, Gotham, oops only 5, sorry
  • - Are you wealthy? I wish, but I cant really complain
  • - Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, IT Project Consultant
Well, I think that is enough information for the time being :)
I hope to see you around the forum, I will try to have a peek from time to time.

Nice meeting you all.

Regards,

Oliver

Pam.Hansen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Pam and I'm 52, but I don't act it and usually don't feel it either :) I'm female and live in Lincolnshire in the UK. I'm not religious but I do love a good hymn. I'm compassionate, giving and thoughtful. I have 1 cat, Saffie whose 12 years old. I'm an out and out Apple fan, I like watching rugby. My temper has a slow boil but once I'm pushed I blow! I've had my ears pierced twice and I have 1 tattoo. I have approximately 4-5 tents ranging from 3 man to bungalow sized! but have now settled for comfort in the style of a large caravan. I have been burnt deeply and that has made me wary. I have had the streaks of self tanning lotion in my younger days lol. I've been to France, Belguim, Austria, Luxemburg, Spain, Greece and Morrocco. 5 TV programmes : Casualty, Holby City and what ever dramas the BBC is currently showing. Films - An Officer and a Gentleman, Hot Fuzz, Lord of the Rings ... I'm not wealthy, I have enough. I have a partner, 2 daughters both with partners and 2 grandchildren. I like the fact I put others first and I hate not being able to say no.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi Tora1982 ,

well i was shocked really, i did not consider myself overweight , i watched my diet and was fairly active.

octoba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was relieved on one side because the symptoms I had were pointing to Diabetes or Liver failure. Although when news struck me I had a few weeks of denial. After that I lost part of my sight for a few weeks due to the high sugar levels, over 800, and the fact that they had to turn it down to normal limits during my 3 day hospital stay.
After a month, I included my diabetic routines into my daily life and now it does not seem so bad.

Now I am "happy" that I was only diagnosed with 38 and had 20 years of party and fun without having to take such care of me.

Fairport

Hi. My name is Pat. I was diagnosed with T2 about a year ago but they thought I've probably had it for 10 years. I didn't want to take meds so I tried the Newcastle 800 diet but didn't manage to get to the right level in the 8 weeks of the diet but after a year have now been diagnosed as prediabetic. I still feel that I have to be careful of glycemic indexes as, if eaten regularly or if my weight goes up by more than 5 pounds, my diabetes will return. I am female and come from the south coast of England and have lived in that area for 34 years having previously lived in London. I love London very much but it is too expensive to live there now. My religion is Catholic. I have two dogs. I try to swim regularly but am lazy. I ran the Brighton Marathon once but suffered a dodgy knee afterwards and haven't recovered but must take to walking for my cholesterol and blood pressure. My favourite musicians are the Rolling Stones but also like folk music. I used to go camping but have just sold our VW camper van. We travelled to Italy with it and four kids. We have since had fun going to folk festivals in it. I am retired but used to teach kids art. I now do craft which I sell at craft fairs to raise funds for Alzheimer's Research. My favourite cities abroad are Rome and Paris but also like Athens but I think of London as my home city and my most favourite. I studied art (painting) in the 60s and still like it today. Love to all out there.

Reactions: 7 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi. My name is Pat. I was diagnosed with T2 about a year ago but they thought I've probably had it for 10 years. I didn't want to take meds so I tried the Newcastle 800 diet but didn't manage to get to the right level in the 8 weeks of the diet but after a year have now been diagnosed as prediabetic. I still feel that I have to be careful of glycemic indexes as, if eaten regularly or if my weight goes up by more than 5 pounds, my diabetes will return. I am female and come from the south coast of England and have lived in that area for 34 years having previously lived in London. I love London very much but it is too expensive to live there now. My religion is Catholic. I have two dogs. I try to swim regularly but am lazy. I ran the Brighton Marathon once but suffered a dodgy knee afterwards and haven't recovered but must take to walking for my cholesterol and blood pressure. My favourite musicians are the Rolling Stones but also like folk music. I used to go camping but have just sold our VW camper van. We travelled to Italy with it and four kids. We have since had fun going to folk festivals in it. I am retired but used to teach kids art. I now do craft which I sell at craft fairs to raise funds for Alzheimer's Research. My favourite cities abroad are Rome and Paris but also like Athens but I think of London as my home city and my most favourite. I studied art (painting) in the 60s and still like it today. Love to all out there.
Hi and welcome to the site JJ

Nat_2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name? My given name is Natalie but I prefer to use "Nat" - drives my Mum nuts! Lol
- How old are you? I'm 44 - hitting the mid 40s exactly in 5 days time!
- Are you male or female? Last time I looked I was female :)
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? I live in a beautiful village a few miles from the city of Ely, in Cambridgeshire
- Are you religious? I prefer Spiritual to religious
- Pick three words to describe your personality - Funky, Funny, Caring
- Do you have any pets? 3 cats (I just recently lost my 18 year old dog who had been with us for 16 1/2 years)
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I wish!
- Do you get angry easily? I get frustrated which does inevitably lead to anger, but it is quickly gone again.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? I have 3 tattoos. 1 on each upper arm and 1 tiny one at the top of my left breast
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Only 5? Lol I am a lifetime Durannie! I also love Elvis but pretty much eeryone!
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Everything except very heavy metal
- What is your favourite flag? The Union Jack!
- Ever gone camping? Yes and loved it!
- Ever been in love? Totally, 100% with my husband of 22 years
- Ever used fake tan? Yeah but only once - I looked like an Oompah Loompah for days!
- Which countries have you visited? France, Spain, Holland and the U.S.A
- Favourite city? New York
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Criminal Minds, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad
- List your five favourite films. Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Pretty in Pink, Grease/Dirty Dancing
- Are you wealthy? Not financially but I am loved and I'm alive...
- Do you work? If so, as what? I am currently unemployed due to a medical condition - Hip Dysplasia & Spine disc issues. I am currently researching going into business along with my husband. We are both creative types and have been encouraged to start our own business - up-cycling, recycling preloved furniture and fabrics in order to give them new opportunities to be loved.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. I have a degree in English (Linguistics based), I also researched the use of language by animals and the fashion industry's very poor sustainability initiatives.
- What do you like most about yourself? That I care for people and think I have a sunny disposition
- What do you like least about yourself? I really dislike my temper and my lack of control of my diabetes. I KNOW I have willpower as I am an ex-smoker - 4 years this July.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
- What is your name? My given name is Natalie but I prefer to use "Nat" - drives my Mum nuts! Lol
- How old are you? I'm 44 - hitting the mid 40s exactly in 5 days time!
- Are you male or female? Last time I looked I was female :)
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? I live in a beautiful village a few miles from the city of Ely, in Cambridgeshire
- Are you religious? I prefer Spiritual to religious
- Pick three words to describe your personality - Funky, Funny, Caring
- Do you have any pets? 3 cats (I just recently lost my 18 year old dog who had been with us for 16 1/2 years)
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I wish!
- Do you get angry easily? I get frustrated which does inevitably lead to anger, but it is quickly gone again.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? I have 3 tattoos. 1 on each upper arm and 1 tiny one at the top of my left breast
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Only 5? Lol I am a lifetime Durannie! I also love Elvis but pretty much eeryone!
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Everything except very heavy metal
- What is your favourite flag? The Union Jack!
- Ever gone camping? Yes and loved it!
- Ever been in love? Totally, 100% with my husband of 22 years
- Ever used fake tan? Yeah but only once - I looked like an Oompah Loompah for days!
- Which countries have you visited? France, Spain, Holland and the U.S.A
- Favourite city? New York
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Criminal Minds, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad
- List your five favourite films. Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Pretty in Pink, Grease/Dirty Dancing
- Are you wealthy? Not financially but I am loved and I'm alive...
- Do you work? If so, as what? I am currently unemployed due to a medical condition - Hip Dysplasia & Spine disc issues. I am currently researching going into business along with my husband. We are both creative types and have been encouraged to start our own business - up-cycling, recycling preloved furniture and fabrics in order to give them new opportunities to be loved.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. I have a degree in English (Linguistics based), I also researched the use of language by animals and the fashion industry's very poor sustainability initiatives.
- What do you like most about yourself? That I care for people and think I have a sunny disposition
- What do you like least about yourself? I really dislike my temper and my lack of control of my diabetes. I KNOW I have willpower as I am an ex-smoker - 4 years this July.
Hi and welcome have a good look around and if you have any questions please ask
Keep well stay safe JJ

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Nat_2015; welcome to the forum , it very good place understand diabetes, .I find it very good tool to use .

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
- What is your name? Ruth
- How old are you? 53
- Are you male or female? F
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Istanbul
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Determined. Kind. Direct
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Martial arts, walking, swimming, cycling, tennis
- Do you get angry easily? No, I used to but realized I was wasting energy.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. I never listen to music.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? None
- What is your favourite flag? None. I hate flags. And nationalism generally.
- Ever gone camping? Yes, many times.
- Ever been in love? Ditto
- Ever used fake tan? Once, on my legs, in the 1970s. I was streaky for ages.
- Which countries have you visited? Most of Europe, Brazil, Kenya, Turkey, U.S., Canada
- Favourite city? Istanbul
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Various CSIs, BBC dramas, especially crime. Middle-aged lady's "comfort TV" in other words (Justice is always done in the end.)
- List your five favourite films. All Sci-Fi basically. Anything directed by Ridley Scott.
- Are you wealthy? Not at all. But I live well.
- Do you work? If so, as what? That would be telling.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Too long to list. Mostly to do with languages.
- What do you like most about yourself? I accept myself the way I am. There's no point in disliking something about myself.
- What do you like least about yourself? I don't think about myself in terms of like and dislike of qualities. I do things. I commit acts. I evaluate those acts, not aspects of my character.