No more pumping for now.

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Spiker thanks for all your help on the pump knowledge front and hope the transition back to MDI is going smoothly.

I am still in the process of pump trials but I believe I have pretty much made my mind up on the Animas. I've been provisionally told a start date around early August following an imminent decision.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know ive had lots but i gave it back this time as i hated the new pump they put me on it was thr final straw! :)

Hey (joking of course candi girl!! I have 2 pumps upstairs try one of mine!!!

I don't know whether mine will be a holiday or permanent yet.

I know Accuchek say to try the tenderlink when they come out but there is something nice about not being attached to anything at all.

My levels today have been between 4.3 and 8.3 this morn (for a few hours) so my SD is going to be larger than it was... Which is the only thing that does concern me.. But heck you know what my levels weren't this good a week after going on to the pump!!!

I have already messed up once by giving a basal of 2 units instead of my bolus one morning- despite the pens being marked with black permanent ink.. Basal n bolus!!

Mornings are currently my worse time (this was when I did the wrong pen). Just thinking before I get out of bed to do my jabs...but I balance that against ending up having to do daily cannula changes and think whats the difference. Only thing is currently thinking before I go to bed and writing down how much basal or bolus to do when I wake up as this has changed dramatically. I have to write it in my book the night before because I couldn't remember it in the morning....

Apart from that during the day time I am absolutely loving the freedom off the pump. Never worrying to be honest now.

I'm testing quite alot during the night but this is just me being exact...

I will find out tomorrow if I can have degludec or not.

I would never have been so relaxed if it han't have been for the folk on here helping me so much.

Credit to @Spiker initially for giving me the courage to go back to mdi.

To be honest I think it is a huge thing to do, it's honestly on a par with starting all over again after 5 years on pump.

I will even if I try pump again always take a pump holiday each year to give myself a rest in the future...

Reactions: 4 people

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha i still have my accu check combo and about a years worth of supplies if i fancy a break. Got an old animas too but no supplies.

I am getting there trial and error forgot to bring needles to work yesterday had to go and get them!

But mentally feeling so much better still. Basal has now gone down to 5.5u at night 6u in the norning then only eating lunch and dinner and both going well thus far.

I just dont miss a single thing! Last 2 years ive been wanting to do this and if i still had combo prob would be carrying old but got updated to the brick that was the medtronic 640g and just awful pump hated it. I gladly gave it back.

I tried tenderlinks yes they seemed to work better but also seemed to give me an allergy. Was sp red and itchy after a day and left big itchy lumps

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im writing everything down in a book. Why i took how much i did wjat i ate and did etc.. I test 2 to 3 times each night too and have pens next to bed and as soon as i wake up i do them or would forget and thats it.

My pens are red and green. Still almost mixed them up!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So glad I'm not the only one for having to make a point of remembering which is whih and taking the right pen!! I just have it in my brain that my red pen is for bolus.. And yet I marked up the blue pen for my bolus!!

I'm writing everything down again too! Days working, not working, going to pictures etc...

Just going to wait to see what tomorrow brings with my DSN...

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad I'm not the only one for having to make a point of remembering which is whih and taking the right pen!! I just have it in my brain that my red pen is for bolus.. And yet I marked up the blue pen for my bolus!!

I'm writing everything down again too! Days working, not working, going to pictures etc...

Just going to wait to see what tomorrow brings with my DSN...

Hope tomorrow goes well. I wasnt allowed tresiba insulin as its too expensive (um cheaper than pump!) but hey! Luckily levemir is being kind to me.

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@candi-girl what did you hate in particular about the 640g?

It's difficult for me to currently confuse my pens as they're completely different but I'm particularly looking forward to having something that can remind me whether I've takenmy insulin or not. I'm not by any means a forgetful person but when you're doing something 4 times a day for 30 years it's easy to forget an occassion or 2.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got the degludec!!!!

Put details into GP so hopefully may be able to start this weekend...

Reactions: 9 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing that has changed in my approach to MDI is that it is much more important to log doses, so I can manually calculate IOB and "sugar surf". I learned to do this on the pump and want to continue. But of course the pump itself accurately logged all doses and calculated IOB. Now I do all that with my logbook (app).

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing that has changed in my approach to MDI is that it is much more important to log doses, so I can manually calculate IOB and "sugar surf". I learned to do this on the pump and want to continue. But of course the pump itself accurately logged all doses and calculated IOB. Now I do all that with my logbook (app).

Interesting, i did not realise that now people on injections did not log doses, cant see how they can manage without doing this - in 1980 in my hospital I was taught to log all (pen and notebook) so not confused re any insulin "tail" from doses, i kept these bks for a while, so could check back, useful as many TDD changes. ..still do this on pump, with same sort of notebook/pen!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

@Spiker, the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert is a bolus advisor and show IOB (sure its called Active Insulin) when you have previously bolused, I used it prior to changing to a pump and thought it was a fantastic meter.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am just saying that logging doses has become more important. Particularly as the carbs are often a guess anyway. And often a non repeatable guess, at that. Ie I am never going to have the exact same thing again.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've found that I use my Echo as my indicator of timing since last dose, and I have a half decent memory for the doses over the previous six hours.

What I've found is that the sugar surfing approach with micro-doses results in some insulin stacking, but with limited effects due to the overall size of the doses.

I would also add that since dynamically managing I am tending to dose (and that is glucose tabs as well as insulin) based on BG level and direction moreso than considering the IOB status. When eating, there is some consideration as to what's previously gone in, but again, eating lower carbs means that for the most part, it just fits in with the pattern. It's surprisingly freeing to do it that way!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My problem is remembering to log my basals on expert machine as they have to be added if not doing a blood test... And I forget.
My worst fault at the moment is remembering my basal doses each morning and night... Not the fact of taking them but to add data to machine!!
As my doses are still going downward I need to check back what I took the day before and then find I didn't put it in my machine..... Ggggrrrrrrr!!!

victry77

I've literally just taken mine off and have got my pens out of the fridge :(
It's only been three months but I just don't think I can be doing with managing the pump. I don't think it's going to suit me.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's only been three months but I just don't think I can be doing with managing the pump. I don't think it's going to suit me.
Have you talked to your pump DSN? They may able to help. They may get the pump reps.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is brave of you to come out and say that, those feelings. It is not easy to say.

victry77

Have you talked to your pump DSN? They may able to help. They may get the pump reps.

I don't actually like my pump DSN so the less contact I have with her the better, I'm afraid to say. While the steel cannulas have been better, the adhesive is so poor, I've ripped them out I don't know how many times. I've already got two patches on me and don't want to be sticking tape and plasters on as well.

I'm finding it incredibly cumbersome to wear with my clothes without it looking like I've got a bizarre square growth sticking out of me and I'm rapidly losing motivation to manage it effectively. Sometimes things are working, sometimes they're not, so it's back to the drawing board time and time again. Now, I'm doing things like completely forgetting to switch profiles or in the middle of an activity, I'll suddenly remember that I haven't done a temp basal. Plus, the worry that the insulin hasn't delivered or that I'm going to encounter a problem when I'm out and about is not something I previously had.

Thanks to people such as Donnelly, I got my doses working really well, but that was with so much hard work and constant testing that I'm failing right now as I'm so caught up in other things.

I haven't decided to come off it permanent, but right now I've got a real block with using the pump.