What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

deedee

We had courgetti carbonara for our evening meal it was delicious, very indulgent with cream and cheese but very low carb because of the lack of pasta. I think it may become a regular in our house.

Reactions: 10 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - A kipper (a first since switching to low carb).
Picnic lunch - Hard boiled eggs, lettuce, radishes, enormous tomato, pickled garlic.
Snack - Apple, nuts (had just come down from a long hill walk).
Dinner - Cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms slathered in pesto - 3 fresh figs.
Supper (already) - Lots of yoghurt!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream and kippers n scram egg. Splendid!
L: not needed!
D: Lidl protein roll with Brie and 2 Lidl cheeses, one chilli, the other blue. Even more splendid! May have strawberries later.

Not enough veg!
Kippers and more or less anything is fine by me.... SE sounds particularly fine. :happy:

Reactions: 7 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We had courgetti carbonara for our evening meal it was delicious, very indulgent with cream and cheese but very low carb because of the lack of pasta. I think it may become a regular in our house.
might give that a go as carbonara was a fav.... cheers

Reactions: 2 people

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cottage cheese with chopped fresh mint, topped with mashed avocado and a sprinkling of seeds to add crunch. Delicious.....

Reactions: 11 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yog, rasps and walnuts..... :happy:
buttons.....
L: celery et al, long walk after in the sun, good
D: Steak, salad avocado, slaw, and baked mushrooms, with Bin 2 Penfolds wine, glass one of..... the wine was lovely a treat, still looking for a good steak... it was alright but at that price it should have been better.... might have been the cook....
wanders off to sit in the corner... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 9 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream and kippers n scram egg. Splendid!
L: not needed!
D: Lidl protein roll with Brie and 2 Lidl cheeses, one chilli, the other blue. Even more splendid! May have strawberries later.

Not enough veg!
Runner up in the lidl looney club.

Reactions: 4 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today has been so productive so pleased.

B: 500ml lemon water.
chia, linseeds with coconut milk with D-coconut, vanilla extract.

Late L: A Pret no bread crayfish n avocado. (Bloody hate the price but I was hungry)
Blk Filter coffee (99p!!)

D: stewed lamb neck with veg (aubergine, carrot, peppers, celery).
With 'HankJam's Rosti'

See low carb recipe thread for HankJam's Rosti recipe.

Reactions: 9 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
buttons.....
L: celery et al, long walk after in the sun, good
D: Steak, salad avocado, slaw, and baked mushrooms, with Bin 2 Penfolds wine, glass one of..... the wine was lovely a treat, still looking for a good steak... it was alright but at that price it should have been better.... might have been the cook....
wanders off to sit in the corner... :rolleyes:
Standard steak can be changed to restaurant grade by smearing in Maldon sea salt for 20 mins max. Wash off and dry thoroughly. Light coating of olive oil and rest. Time taken to cook to your liking is only in relation to the thickness of the steak.

Do this.. palm up touch your thumb and first finger together feel the fleshy part of the part of the palm below your thumb and first crease. That's what a rare steak should feel like to the touch. Now put your thumb to your second finger - medium rare. Thumb to 3rd finger - medium. Thumb to pinky - might as well have just gone and bought a fry bentos.

That hunky is just the basics, a big green salad, a wet coleslaw combo and a glass of red. What could possibly go wrong. Haven't even started on the various sauces that a lchf encourage and thrive on.

IMHO - there is no such thing as a bad steak just an unloved one.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Standard steak can be changed to restaurant grade by smearing in Maldon sea salt for 20 mins max. Wash off and dry thoroughly. Light coating of olive oil and rest. Time taken to cook to your liking is only in relation to the thickness of the steak.

Do this.. palm up touch your thumb and first finger together feel the fleshy part of the part of the palm below your thumb and first crease. That's what a rare steak should feel like to the touch. Now put your thumb to your second finger - medium rare. Thumb to 3rd finger - medium. Thumb to pinky - might as well have just gone and bought a fry bentos.

That hunky is just the basics, a big green salad, a wet coleslaw combo and a glass of red. What could possibly go wrong. Haven't even started on the various sauces that a lchf encourage and thrive on.

IMHO - there is no such thing as a bad steak just an unloved one.
and cheers to you @Baruney seeker of the one true way..... there's no way I'm going anywhere near my second finger.... these boys just get a kiss of heat.... which in Scotland is /was quite beyond the pale.... my outlaws liked their meat burnt to a crisp...

Reactions: 7 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We refute that allegation ;)
Now now - we don't want to bring the man upstairs into the equation. Lord business would hang draw and quater you without blinking.

Mind you if your body cemposite is you are what you eat. You are a lidl roll so you may get a get of jail free card!

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Lidl high protein rolls, I bought two m'lud, but never actually ate them.... so out of eating bread I didn't even try a bit...

and tonight I baked a 900 g sourdough loaf for the family, which I started on wednesday night....

and bought donuts and cookies for the lab as I am on holiday next week.... and they didn't see 11:00.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and cheers to you @Baruney seeker of the one true way..... there's no way I'm going anywhere near my second finger.... these boys just get a kiss of heat.... which in Scotland is /was quite beyond the pale.... my outlaws liked their meat burnt to a crisp...
Too true. I was being quite conservative. When asked how I would like my steak in the UK. I do specify rare as in french rare rather than English. Only way to tell if your getting a quality cow or not. Likewise grandad outlaw (yorkshire) wants his meat grey. Not a problem and when we say have a bit of rare. He loves it. Next time what does he want. He's from Yorkshire - no answer needed.

Reactions: 6 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Too true. I was being quite conservative. When asked how I would like my steak in the UK. I do specify rare as in french rare rather than English. Only way to tell if your getting a quality cow or not. Likewise grandad outlaw (yorkshire) wants his meat grey. Not a problem and when we say have a bit of rare. He loves it. Next time what does he want. He's from Yorkshire - no answer needed.

Oooo gods... you carnivores!!! I like my meat cooked, not with the mooo.

However in a restaurant I always as for a med-rare otherwise I might as well chew my shoe.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi folks. One of my regular "go to" low carb food choices is Morrisons individual Crustless Quiche, which are made in their in-store bakery. Filling & tasty...I've even eaten it for breakfast. Delicious hot or cold. And handy to shove into your bag when you have to eat on the run. Details below. An option for when you need something quick & can't be bothered to cook. :hungry:

View attachment 14672

View attachment 14673
Too many carbs... :) I make my own mini ones and take with me - If I'm going a long way, or all day, I have a little cold bag that they go in happily... I use silicone muffin trays as they never stick and the quiches come out perfectly... One of my favourite combos: Sometimes I put a thin slice of ham in the muffin cups first, but I prefer it without really... I chop mushrooms, bacon, ham or pancetta, onion and garlic small, fry gently in loads of butter and a splash of water to keep them soft; pile into the bottom of the muffin cups; cook frozen spinach with butter and a little garlic and onion powder, leave to cool a little while you grate the cheeses, and pile on top of the bacon/ham/mushroom mix; dollop of Philly or, my fave, soft goat's cheese; tsp of grated parmesan or that pre-grated mozzarella in the bags; tsp grated cheddar; top cups up with a mix of 6 eggs (for 12 quiches), 120ml whipping cream, herbs to taste (I put chilli flakes), a little pepper and salt; whisk together in a large jug and pour, whisking with the other hand to keep the seasonings and herbs evenly distributed... before I pop into a 180 degree oven I slice a large green chilli finely and put three little green circles on the top... My husband says, 'They're gorgeous'... he is not prone to commenting on food... what can I tell you? :) I hope you make and enjoy...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B - 2 x bacon with melted cheese
L - Chicken, spinach, cashews, avocado
S - 75g bag of pork scratchings that my daughter gave me
D - crispy kale. Was going to be a salmon fillet but a) - it'd gone off and b) I was full of pork scratchings

Also got some phyllium husk today for some extra fibre.
All sounds good to me.. :) I cannot take psyllium as I am one of those people who get angina from it... scary.... I love chia seeds/flour... it's so gentle... and flax, although I find it has a strong flavour so use less than I might for bread and stuff... Have you tried chia seeds? I make a chocolate pudding from them, with cacao and a little sweetener... nice for breakfast from the fridge with a dash of cream...