Carbs Carbs Carbs and the press

nigelew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With all the recent Diabetes info in the news , when are they going to say that a low carb high protein diet is fine. Only recently have GP's admitted that Carbs, and or the excesses can be part of the problem. Gert rid of the chips,rice and bread do some regular excersise and sorted or well on the why. Us Type 2 ers have a lot to gain from this, oh and the pounds kg's drop off........

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would go somewhere between and will usually say to newbies to keep the carbs down and have enough protein and fat to feel full. I'm not sure many GPs or DNs have updated themeselves yet and I think it will be many years before they do. As for Dieticians I think it could take centuries.......They suffer from 'Groupthink' and no-one wants to break rank and admit that they've been wrong and just perpetuated junk knowledge. At least those of us who have meters or use insulin know thru measurement and carb-counting that carbs are the guilty party; now that's science.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say nothing is really gping to change with the advice given to us, unless the government say they were wrong with the no fat advice given years ago which is the main reason to me for the rise in diabetes cause people turned to carbs for energy lost from cutting fats.

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree. I know so many people who work on the principle that all fat is bad, and all carbohydrates good. I've a friend who eats rice cakes like they're going out of fashion, and has meringue, and fruit and cream every day for dessert. I've lost a stone since cutting down on carbs

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think it will change once high quality* research about LCHF is published, accepted and promoted. I think there is some promising research currently underway?

*Usually the writers of guidelines will only accept large scale randomised controlled trials, not small studies or case reports, and the studies should be published in "high impact" journals, rather than lesser-known, less reliable publications.

Normally I only accept this level of evidence too. But in this case I accept the anecdotal evidence of the hundreds of people I've seen post in this forum, plus my own anecdotal experience of what my BG meter and my body are telling me. In short, we know it works, but to get the approach into formal guidelines, it has to be proven in a certain way. This system prevents ineffective and potentially harmful treatments being approved. The downside is that when there is a potentially helpful treatment, it takes a long time to get it approved.

So I give it 5-10 years before we will be able to tell our GPs and nurses to check their guidelines. By then, hundreds of thousands of people will have suffered poorer health than necessary, and will have cost our countries millions.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :)

Reactions: 10 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweden is the only country where the government health organisation advocates LCHF.

The Americans are tinkering with the guidelines. It's political for them - they subsidise the farmers growing all that corn and food is a big export.

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Sweden is the only country where the government health organisation advocates LCHF.

The Americans are tinkering with the guidelines. It's political for them - they subsidise the farmers growing all that corn and food is a big export.
That's good to know. I'd love to read the Swedish guidelines but it might be hard to find an English language version. I will have a look...

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dietdoctor.com has some information in English about the decision but I don't recall seeing actual translated guidelines.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dietdoctor.com has some information in English about the decision but I don't recall seeing actual translated guidelines.
Yep, I did a search and found some articles about it, but the actual guidelines are in Swedish. I saw a related guideline that referred to a "Mediterranean diet low in carbohydrates". Yay Sweden!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I think it will change once high quality* research about LCHF is published, accepted and promoted. I think there is some promising research currently underway?

*Usually the writers of guidelines will only accept large scale randomised controlled trials, not small studies or case reports, and the studies should be published in "high impact" journals, rather than lesser-known, less reliable publications.

Normally I only accept this level of evidence too. But in this case I accept the anecdotal evidence of the hundreds of people I've seen post in this forum, plus my own anecdotal experience of what my BG meter and my body are telling me. In short, we know it works, but to get the approach into formal guidelines, it has to be proven in a certain way. This system prevents ineffective and potentially harmful treatments being approved. The downside is that when there is a potentially helpful treatment, it takes a long time to get it approved.

So I give it 5-10 years before we will be able to tell our GPs and nurses to check their guidelines. By then, hundreds of thousands of people will have suffered poorer health than necessary, and will have cost our countries millions.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :)

Try this for starters
http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext#bib94

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Sorry Celeriac but that myth was debunked over a year ago, it was never ever true I'm afraid, while they advocate eating some healthy fats in moderation they never advocated LCHF.

Anna Karin Lindroos said:
“Sweden does not have any guidelines on low-carb-high-fat diets. The information that Sweden has guidelines on low-carb-high-fat diets is based on incorrect information circulating on the Internet.”

Read the article here if you dont believe me https://experiencelife.com/newsflashes/debunking-news-of-swedens-low-carb-high-fat-guidelines/

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry Celeriac but that myth was debunked over a year ago, it was never ever true I'm afraid, while they advocate eating some healthy fats in moderation they never advocated LCHF.

Read the article here if you dont believe me https://experiencelife.com/newsflashes/debunking-news-of-swedens-low-carb-high-fat-guidelines/
On the Swedish department of health and welfare's website there are national guidelines in English, and the 2015 ones I read referred to a "Mediterranean diet low in carbohydrates" as being an acceptable option for a healthy diet, for health professionals to encourage in diabetics. Unfortunately the more detailed guidelines where this is hopefully expanded on, were in Swedish. These detailed guidelines, in turn, reference the SBU report mentioned in the above article (also in Swedish). So, I'm not completely convinced that the SBU report went nowhere. IMO Sweden looks like the country that is closest to officially saying low carb is better.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The problem really is that people don't actually know what a carbohydrate is, they know or think they know what fat is - that stuff you cook chips in. It has to start in schools with proper cookery classes, you know like what we used to have.

Reactions: 5 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As said earlier, this Swedish myth is just that a myth. Even the BMJ had to correct an article in which it was promulgated. Here's the letter written by Nina Rehnqvist, Chair for the project on “Diets among obese individuals” SBU, Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6873/rr/673823 (with a link to English summary and tables)

The earlier report on diabetes mentioned a range of diets having evidence for working ( including both low fat and moderate carb restriction ie 40% )They point to the lack of evidence for 'so called' LCHF diets http://www.sbu.se/en/Published/Yellow/Dietary-Treatment-of-Diabetes2/

For the general public they follow the Nordic guidelines and have this month released new 'guidelines' for the general publicThere is a lot about sustainability in them and so it is called 'Find Your Way to eat greener,not too much and be active.
Here is the 1minute advice from the booklet http://www.livsmedelsverket.se/glob...nt/dietary-guidelines/kostrad-eng.pdf?id=8140
swede one minute.PNG

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice post Phoenix. Only slight error I can see is you say there is "lack of evidence for so called LCHF diets" whilst the paper states "lack of sufficient-quality studies". It's a small point but quite an important one.
I'm not suggesting LCHF suits everyone, some people will simply refuse to give up their carbs and that's fine. What I do read time and time again is the vast majority of success stories and LCHF often appear in the same threads.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've a friend who eats rice cakes like they're going out of fashion, and has meringue, and fruit and cream every day for dessert.
Basically not all wrong with that dessert though...

View attachment low_carb_pud.png -

...you can make meringue with suitable low carb sweeteners, and fruit - particularly berries - IN MODERATION are part of many low carb diets. One of my favourite desserts, but with low carb almond shortcake instead of your friend's meringue.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people