1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carbs Carbs Carbs and the press

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by nigelew, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't use weedkillers at all, we use a weed wand and hand weed if really dry. Luckily the garden isn't huge but we keep ourselves supplied with herbs, figs, grapes and don't suffering losses or masses of weeds.

2. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Yep, I won't use chemical weedkillers at all either. I got a natural pond with frogs for my slugs n snails. Natural woodchips too as they don't like those either and copper wire around strawberry, courgette and lettuce beds with broken up egg shells added all year round.
    Oh and picking off any slugs or snails that do attempt anything.
    The only thing I can't find a cure for is the cabbage caterpillar. They just appear and detroy over night!!

Back to carbs, carbs, carbs??

• Like Like x 2
  3. Okjilly67

Okjilly67 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Me too !! It's the only "diet" that I ever stuck at..... because it is so rewarding to have all my blood test results come back with reduced numbers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Low-carbohydrate diet in type 2 diabetes: stable improvement of bodyweight and glycemic control during 44 months follow-up
    Nutrition & Metabolism 2008

This Swedish article (in English) was cited by Diabetes UK in their "Position Statement of Low Carb diets" 2011. AFAICS it is no longer referenced. It certainly wasn't quoted to support LCHF, but if I remember rightly, to say that the weight loss wasn't maintained.

To quote from the discussion -

• Like Like x 2
  5. IanD

Now 10 years on Low Carb, Healthy Fat, with no complications.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think this is Diabetes.uk’s latest statement on low carb:
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...style/low-carb-diets-for-people-with-diabetes

7. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

fruits, wholegrains, pulses

They are still not getting it right.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I understand that NICE has never actually reviewed low carb dies but when they do they will find that it stacks up well compared to the standard diet and the low fat diet; apparently the Predimed study re the Med diet (whatever that really is) has had to be withdrawn too. There is debate about the merits of RCTs in the area of nutrition given the difficulties of long term studies possible under tightly controlled conditions. If we could find a technical solution to adding in all of our 'N of 1' anecdotes that might be useful.
    There is a strong campaign by Nina Tceishow (can't spell or pronounce name - sorry) to get the US dietary guidelines due out in 2020 changed and there have been movements there to be more relaxed about the quantity of fat in the diet though the jury still seems to be out on saturated fat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

No, I know! :joyful::hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  10. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

They don't want to get it right, if they did, they would. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It has to be deliberate; not investigating because it will give the answer they don't want.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

They are just giving time for Tesco to develop their "Low Carb Processed ****" range in time for Christmas...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. IanD

That's the simplified version.

This is a link to the PDF version giving the references. I've followed up a number of these. There is an instructive rabbit trail ....

Ref 8 "A critical review of low-carbohydrate diets in people with Type 2 diabetes." is quoted in the PDF to prove -
    The actual report concludes -
    BUT - note that it is a DUK report.

But a citation in that Ref 8 report gives a rather different conclusion - "Effect of low-calorie versus low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet in type 2 diabetes."
    Not only did the LCKD keto diet improve glycemic control, it allowed the reduction in medication. I suggest that the "strict medical supervision" is because the diet is so effective that medication can be reduced.
    BUT
    where do we find our "strict medical supervision" ?!? We need to self test & of course self testing is discouraged by our doctors.

• Like Like x 1
  14. IanD

Looking at my footnote -
    Type 2 in 2000, 3x500 metformin, reduced carb diet
    HBA Jan 08 - 6.7, July 09 - 6.2, January 10 - 5.9, October 12 - 6.3
    No diabetic complications.

My HbA1c has drifted up over the 10 years & steadied at 6.7.
    My average readings - fasting/before/after meals were 7.3 at the end of April. I then reduced my carbs towards keto & the average is now 6.9.

My interest in keto is for my 5 y-o granddaughter Ava who is suffering from epilepsy. Her parents think she is also suffering from side effects of powerful medication. The hospital at last is advising a keto diet for her.

It seems that the dietitians are seeking to maintain strict control & advise against trying it without their strict supervision. Parents have been aware of the diet for months - not just from me - but a non-keto diet is the typical high carb/sugar, low fat diet that is bad for everyone.

I think the sustained use of a near keto diet by members of this forum offers a massive database of constructive experience that would be relevant to its use for epilepsy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

In the case of childhood epilepsy isn't the period advised for keto restricted to something like 2 years? Sorry no references, just something I think I remember someone telling me. Could be wrong of course.

16. IanD

This wiki-keto report is very thorough.

Relaxing the diet once it has been effective is normal. We need to maintain normal growth & development.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Honeyend

Honeyend · Well-Known Member

Well its better than nothing.

I am a HCP and I am feel like a stick trying to go against the flow of the tide. Even people who should know better just think sugar is the problem and ignore the role of carbohydrate, complex or not. Its disheartening to see people with high RBG eating very little because they are eating the wrong foods under advice from other HCP, and they have the 'supporting evidence' to go with it.
    They are advised to have have healthy wholegrain **** for breakfast, and it goes down hill for the rest of the day. So then they binge on something sweet because my figures are rubbish so why not? Then the HCP gives the talk about eating healthy foods and the circle goes round. I would be happy if the circle would get a flat tyre, expecting someone to change the wheel I think is too much to expect at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Having brought up two children one rather more low carb than the other - the one with the higher carb intake is the shorter one and is not so robust as might be.
    The taller one is well over 6 foot, slender but well made, got a degree in computer software at university and it seems that he only had to grin mischievously at his wife for her to fall pregnant - they have four offspring so far - so the idea that low carb is going to stunt the development of a child could be in error - perhaps the restrictions are extended to more than carbs to try to get as close to the accepted rules of a healthy diet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes me too! My child with the higher carb intake is the shorter one too.

20. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. As you may have gathered the food industry lobby is the problem on this. PHE advocates the 'bad' advice thru to the NHS and other bodies and if you dig down you find that PHE uses 'research' funded very much by the food industry and big pharma; the (in)famous Eat-Well Guide is a perfect example. PHE has no apparent desire to provide unbiased diet advice despite many of us lobbying ourselves over many years. At least this forum does it's bit in helping those who do end-up here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook