Can someone give me advice please?

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm honestly at the point i want to scream and scream and just not have diabetes anymore, i'm so so so done with the constant struggle with my blood sugars and i don't know what to do, honestly

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! What's up? Rant your heart out xx

It's just i've been diabetic for like 13 years and my control is so so so bad and i'm scared because i'm 14 atm, almost 15, but its gonna cause so much complications and i have an operation on Thursday on my knee and i'm just so scared that diabetes is just gonna mess me up

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It's just i've been diabetic for like 13 years and my control is so so so bad and i'm scared because i'm 14 atm, almost 15, but its gonna cause so much complications and i have an operation on Thursday on my knee and i'm just so scared that diabetes is just gonna mess me up
Have you talked about your feelings with your parents, and are they trying to get good help from your doctors and nurses? I'm sure your diabetes care team would answer any questions you have, and give you info that helps you feel better about the operation.

Reactions: 2 people

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Don't worry about it! We all have anxieties about complications, it's completely normal, but the good news is that we can reverse and control a lot of these by taking care of our blood glucose levels. Try speaking to your family about it, these are perfectly normal worries to have so you won't be judged by them xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hi there, was your knee op related to your diabetes ?

I think what you're feeling is perfectly natural so don't get too alarmed, there are many type 1 diabetics who live to a ripe old age with no complications, it is achievable.

It does mean however, taking ownership for your type 1 and maintaining good control. Type 1 doesn't have to consume your life, you just need to learn to be mindful of it but not let it take over your life. I think by maintaining good control and not thinking about the future and what may or may not happen is the best way to cope, you can influence the future years of your life but certainly not worry about it, otherwise you will spend you life consumed by what could or could not happen and not enjoy life as it happens ;)

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you talked about your feelings with your parents, and are they trying to get good help from your doctors and nurses? I'm sure your diabetes care team would answer any questions you have, and give you info that helps you feel better about the operation.

Yeah they are aware about it all, we are just trying to get it under control because of hormones and that trying to mess it up so yeah and my diabetic team are trying to help as much as they can also they are really helpful.

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, was your knee op related to your diabetes ?

I think what you're feeling is perfectly natural so don't get too alarmed, there are many type 1 diabetics who live to a ripe old age with no complications, it is achievable.

It does mean however, taking ownership for your type 1 and maintaining good control. Type 1 doesn't have to consume your life, you just need to learn to be mindful of it but not let it take over your life. I think by maintaining good control and not thinking about the future and what may or may not happen is the best way to cope, you can influence the future years of your life but certainly not worry about it, otherwise you will spend you life consumed by what could or could not happen and not enjoy life as it happens ;)

No, the knee op is for bone problems, thank you for this though :) x

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you've come to the right place leigh. There are so many inspiring posts on here and always someone about to help or just listen if you need a rant. Have a read about how others have achieved good blood sugar levels and you might get some ideas that would help. I do understand how hard it is for you being so young and having to watch what you eat xx

Reactions: 7 people

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well you've come to the right place leigh. There are so many inspiring posts on here and always someone about to help or just listen if you need a rant. Have a read about how others have achieved good blood sugar levels and you might get some ideas that would help. I do understand how hard it is for you being so young and having to watch what you eat xx

Thank you

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
I'm honestly at the point i want to scream and scream and just not have diabetes anymore, i'm so so so done with the constant struggle with my blood sugars and i don't know what to do, honestly

Hi Leigh ,
Its such a scary time . I have diabetes since i was 2 , 40 years now. Being a teenager makes everything so much harder , not just the emotional **** with friends but hormones and development. When i was your age i felt exactly the same. Its so scary and my bloids were high and i hated going to appts as at that time it was a give out to the patient all the time with no advice on how to make things better. Once i hit 20 i decided that if i was going to be aroubd here for a whike i needed to work on it myself. Back then there was no DAFNE here in Ireland. If you can ask to do this. I found it a great help , talking to people going through the same thing as me with the same worries . I have no complications currently after 40 years so dont stress yourself too much , do your best and look for advice from your medical care team , if you dont connect with your team currently , look for a team in other area. I did this and it really helped me take control. Good luck hun x

Reactions: 6 people

DougiePringle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not easy and living with diabetes type 1 during your teenage years is tough and it's important to keep talking to those close around you, friends and family as it's easy for friends in particular to not always consider the condition we live with because they don't live with it so may not always understand the emotions we go through. Keep raising that awareness.
Also keep talking with your medical team and don't hold any hypo or hyper experiences, or other diabetes related experiences back from them. Share with them what you are going through as they are there to help.
Like the rest of us, stay positive.
I'd also say that you are now at the age where you have to consider lifestyle habits and making choices/changes which facilitate blood glucose control, for example changes in diet, limited drinking and non smoking if necessary.
Your still young and got the whole world ahead of you so don't worry just talk openly to those close to you.

Reactions: 5 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Louise M said in her post, The DAFNE Course is well worth doing. Ask your DSN or GP to get you on the course. I did the course in 2013 and I am now able to manage my diabetes so much better. I've been using the DAFNE Blood Glucose Monitoring Diary since the course although I've always used a diary since being diagnosed in 2009. The info I got on the course I've adapted to suit myself and my course supplied me with e-mail addresses of the DAFNE nurses should I require help. A lot of things will fall into place once you do the course e.g. how activities can affect your BSs a problem my previous care team failed to realise was affecting me. They also looked at your insulins and prescribed metformin SR tablets to use with my quick acting insulin at meal times. Through trial and error I found that 2 tablets with my Apidra keeps my Bss in good control... and of course carb counting and adjusting my ratios when I need to. I had been given BAD info by my previous care team.

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Leigh ,
Its such a scary time . I have diabetes since i was 2 , 40 years now. Being a teenager makes everything so much harder , not just the emotional **** with friends but hormones and development. When i was your age i felt exactly the same. Its so scary and my bloids were high and i hated going to appts as at that time it was a give out to the patient all the time with no advice on how to make things better. Once i hit 20 i decided that if i was going to be aroubd here for a whike i needed to work on it myself. Back then there was no DAFNE here in Ireland. If you can ask to do this. I found it a great help , talking to people going through the same thing as me with the same worries . I have no complications currently after 40 years so dont stress yourself too much , do your best and look for advice from your medical care team , if you dont connect with your team currently , look for a team in other area. I did this and it really helped me take control. Good luck hun x

thank you so much xx

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not easy and living with diabetes type 1 during your teenage years is tough and it's important to keep talking to those close around you, friends and family as it's easy for friends in particular to not always consider the condition we live with because they don't live with it so may not always understand the emotions we go through. Keep raising that awareness.
Also keep talking with your medical team and don't hold any hypo or hyper experiences, or other diabetes related experiences back from them. Share with them what you are going through as they are there to help.
Like the rest of us, stay positive.
I'd also say that you are now at the age where you have to consider lifestyle habits and making choices/changes which facilitate blood glucose control, for example changes in diet, limited drinking and non smoking if necessary.
Your still young and got the whole world ahead of you so don't worry just talk openly to those close to you.

Thank you for this advie, helps a lot :) x

leighcookexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Louise M said in her post, The DAFNE Course is well worth doing. Ask your DSN or GP to get you on the course. I did the course in 2013 and I am now able to manage my diabetes so much better. I've been using the DAFNE Blood Glucose Monitoring Diary since the course although I've always used a diary since being diagnosed in 2009. The info I got on the course I've adapted to suit myself and my course supplied me with e-mail addresses of the DAFNE nurses should I require help. A lot of things will fall into place once you do the course e.g. how activities can affect your BSs a problem my previous care team failed to realise was affecting me. They also looked at your insulins and prescribed metformin SR tablets to use with my quick acting insulin at meal times. Through trial and error I found that 2 tablets with my Apidra keeps my Bss in good control... and of course carb counting and adjusting my ratios when I need to. I had been given BAD info by my previous care team.

What do you do in the DAFNE course?x

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
What do you do in the DAFNE course?x
DAFNE is dose adjustment for normal eating. When I did it it was an intense week where the Dafne nurse and dietician went through all diabetes information. For me who was already a diabetic for 35 years it was like a refresher course. They spoke of ratios, which I had never heard of and have so helped. What foods need insulin and what doesn't . How alcohol and exercise affects blood sugars . It was very much about you taking control of your diabetes and has really helped me. I also liked be in a group with 11 others where we were all Type 1 and had been through a lot of similar issues. At no point was there a giving off telling you you were doing everything wrong. Very supportive .Like nigel said they gave email addresses for support or questions. One morning you could bring partner /friend . It may be different in Uk but that was my experience in Galway and it was brilliant. Also in Ireland to go on list for pump you have to have completed Dafne course. I start trial for pump on 2 November

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
We have moments of highs and lows just like life's ups and downs. I had a week of highs when we had a week of hot weather, I went to my GP because I was worried. She examined me all ok. Did not know why my BMs had gone up. Went to Diabetic Clinic
Later and told Consultant of my worry and asked could it be the extreme heat, which normally makes me low. His answer was yes. I was fine. Please don't worry about having an operation the Healthcare team will look after you. I have had 22 operations. Type 1 for 48 years since age of six.

Denise eagan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear friend...don't give up please. Life is worth living no matter what are struggled are. Your able to text your grievances that's a start...counseling helped me come to terms with this disease. Text me on fb if you need a friend.