Low Carb making news on GMB

Status
Not open for further replies.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just woke up to watching good morning britain, having a french toast high protein lidl roll and the first headline that I saw is that low carb is better than low fat for weight loss! This could be a possibility for low carbing being advised by GPS.

Reactions: 11 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's a step forward, at least people will have the choice.... Though they then have to make the decision to follow the advice. I heard on the news this morning that 8 million people still smoke regularly.......

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup it is just about to be discussed on BBC Breakfast News. I will watch with interest...! Apparently it is a report in the Lancet so will see if I can get hold of a copy for further reading.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the initial message was good, then it was watered down by someone else saying all diets work and that a low fat diet works too. All this by a person who had probably never needed to diet in her life.

Reactions: 12 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the initial message was good, then it was watered down by someone else saying all diets work and that a low fat diet works too. All this by a person who had probably never needed to diet in her life.
The GP was pretty good but the woman (missed who she was but I'm guessing a government connection somewhere) jeeee whizz they are so scared to admit that eating a lower carb diet with good healthy fats is working.

I noticed they really didn't talk to her that long

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently something called 'low carb' is good for losing weight.

Sounds like nonsense to me - we all know fat makes us fat and calories in v calories out is the be all and end all of dieting. Don't we?

:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...-want-to-lose-weight-Harvard-study-finds.html
Yes my brain has been told that so very many times by so many HCPs, therefore it has to be true, doesn't it? Problem is my body doesn't listen to this kind of advice and refuses to lose weight on low fat and calories in v calories out reasoning.

Tine for another fat fast next week methinks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thinking about this; this could be the start of a very slow u-turn.

If health authorities came out immediately and said; 'we got it wrong' they would be worried about being sued.

If instead first they go for 'it's ok to eat fat, but control your portions' they can say that that is not a contradiction. Then you say 'to lose weight cut down on sugar' (which is happening right now) and then say 'cut down on starch'. Then you are effectively saying go low carb but in a really roundabout way. Once that is in place for dieting they can say to diabetics; if you want to lose weight follow the revised advice on diet which is an even more roundabout way to get the low-carb message out to diabetics.

Anyway we can't be waiting for these people to open their eyes; let's get the bacon in.

Best

Dillinger

p.s Hello @zand !

Reactions: 15 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking about this; this could be the start of a very slow u-turn.

If health authorities came out immediately and said; 'we got it wrong' they would be worried about being sued.

If instead first they go for 'it's ok to eat fat, but control your portions' they can say that that is not a contradiction. Then you say 'to lose weight cut down on sugar' (which is happening right now) and then say 'cut down on starch'. Then you are effectively saying go low carb but in a really roundabout way. Once that is in place for dieting they can say to diabetics; if you want to lose weight follow the revised advice on diet which is an even more roundabout way to get the low-carb message out to diabetics.

Anyway we can't be waiting for these people to open their eyes; let's get the bacon in.

Best

Dillinger

p.s Hello @zand !
Hi ! :)

Reactions: 3 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news and about time, not a stitch up honest. :happy:

Edited to remove off topic post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well that's a step forward, at least people will have the choice.... Though they then have to make the decision to follow the advice. I heard on the news this morning that 8 million people still smoke regularly.......

That's more than I was aware of!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just woke up to watching good morning britain, having a french toast high protein lidl roll and the first headline that I saw is that low carb is better than low fat for weight loss! This could be a possibility for low carbing being advised by GPS.

It's about time!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your sarcasm is noted. However, one of those statements is true.
Yes the calories in v calories out bit is true, in part.....except all calories are not equal. I can lose weight on 2300 cals mostly fat, therefore I msut be using more calories than that in a day. However if I have less calories and therefore more carbs as a percentage then I don't lose weight. So whilst the cals in/cals out is part of the story, it isn't the whole story. Well that's what my body tells me anyway and I have spent over 25 years trying to persuade it otherwise, but it wasn't having any of it.

Reactions: 7 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes the calories in v calories out bit is true, in part.....except all calories are not equal. I can lose weight on 2300 cals mostly fat, therefore I msut be using more calories than that in a day. However if I have less calories and therefore more carbs as a percentage then I don't lose weight. So whilst the cals in/cals out is part of the story, it isn't the whole story. Well that's what my body tells me anyway and I have spent over 25 years trying to persuade it otherwise, but it wasn't having any of it.
You're close, but it's where those calories come from rather than the calories themselves that matter in this case.

This article explains my point better than I ever could: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

Ultimately, the mistake you're both making is that you're considering only part of the equation. You may eat 2300 calories and only burn 2000, but an additional 500 may pass undigested or unstored as fat. Consequently, you'd effectively be maintaining a 200 calorie deficit (2300-2000-500=-200).

As we all know, some (but not all) carbohydrates are broken down to create glucose. Glucose then yields insulin release(us type 1s being the exception). Insulin leads to energy storage (fat in this case). With a low carb diet, fat storage is much more difficult (less insulin production) which means more dietary fat passes through your body.

As I've mentioned previously, think about how our bodies process fiber. Fiber is a carbohydrate and it does contain energy. However, our bodies are unable to breakdown fiber molecules. Consequently, fiber passes through our bodies as undigested energy. It's for similar reasons why fiber helps people feel full (and keep them regular). The article uses a more extreme example to explain that diesel fuel has calories, yet our bodies would process it much differently than normal food.

This concept also supports my theory that there different causes of insulin resistance (aka T2 diabetes). For some, it may be genetics or other uncontrollable factors. However, it's pretty easy to see how your body could develop a resistance/tolerance to insulin after years of massive carbohydrate consumption/massive insulin releases. On the other hand, a ketogenic diet limits insulin release which limits fat storage and glucose is primarily sourced from glycerol after trilycerides are broken down (although I question if it's a treatment for insulin resistance, or a treatment for hyperglycemia).

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You're close, but it's where those calories come from rather than the calories themselves that matter in this case.

This article explains my point better than I ever could: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

Ultimately, the mistake you're both making is that you're considering only part of the equation. You may eat 2300 calories and only burn 2000, but an additional 500 may pass undigested or unstored as fat. Consequently, you'd effectively be maintaining a 200 calorie deficit (2300-2000-500=-200).

As we all know, some (but not all) carbohydrates are broken down to create glucose. Glucose then yields insulin release(us type 1s being the exception). Insulin leads to energy storage (fat in this case). With a low carb diet, fat storage is much more difficult (less insulin production) which means more dietary fat passes through your body.

As I've mentioned previously, think about how our bodies process fiber. Fiber is a carbohydrate and it does contain energy. However, our bodies are unable to breakdown fiber molecules. Consequently, fiber passes through our bodies as undigested energy. It's for similar reasons why fiber helps people feel full (and keep them regular). The article uses a more extreme example to explain that diesel fuel has calories, yet our bodies would process it much differently than normal food.

This concept also supports my theory that there different causes of insulin resistance (aka T2 diabetes). For some, it may be genetics or other uncontrollable factors. However, it's pretty easy to see how your body could develop a resistance/tolerance to insulin after years of massive carbohydrate consumption/massive insulin releases. On the other hand, a ketogenic diet limits insulin release which limits fat storage and glucose is primarily sourced from glycerol after trilycerides are broken down (although I question if it's a treatment for insulin resistance, or a treatment for hyperglycemia).

And forms of insulin over production as in hypoglycaemic!

Status
Not open for further replies.