Is it possible for something to have sugar and be low carb?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It wasn't meant to be about why I overshoot!
It was about hypos!
It was about the fact about there being only one treatment of a hypo!
I disputed that fact!
I would even go as far as saying that quite a few T2s who go hypo, should not drink or eat glucose as that would be like throwing petrol on a fire!
But no one would say it because in an emergency, it is standard treatment to have glucose or glucagon!
Until you know that the standard treatment be used in extreme emergencies, then why shouldn't something low carb be used to bring your bloods up slowly, so as not to affect a spike!
That to me is common sense and logical, because of my experience and I know I'm different but logic dictates because of my condition!

That's my opinion, and should be either read and understood or just ignored.
I apologise for my rant, but I could not, not reply!
I bit! Ok!

I would guess it would be interesting to see the response to this.
For a hypo, emergency response glucose, or, your response, give low carbs.

Personally, and from experience, hypo, give glucose.
Get paramedics.
If that needs rewriting, it would be interesting to see what any type 1, and even type 2's say.
Bear in mind, dealing with a hypo, I had difficulty getting a liquid in, what low carb would you suggest, for similar circumstances?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I m not including T1s and certain T2s (third post saying this!)
Think of it in logical terms, because glucose levels are high, then meds introduced and hypo occurs, why rocket you're already hyper symptoms with more glucose to send you hyper again?
By eating something low carb, that will slowly steadily raise your blood glucose levels.

If you want to ask something that I would use that is low carb, then I suggest something in the low carb forum as a snack, then a small meal about fifteen to thirty minutes later.

Any low carb suggestions please!

I'm certain that if you have ever lived in hypo hell, you would look for other solutions!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is definitely more to T1, and T2, then the low carb above anything mantra.
Possibly I'm wrong, but possibly it's not what most T1's would be looking for. (or even T2's)

How would you treat any one you had to, if they were hypo, and you where first on the scene?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Stop baiting!
I've posted three times and my answer is logical and not a mantra!

If you can't work it out yourself, you should educate yourself!

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there can be confusion between a true hypo ( induced by too much insulin having been administered) and a false hypo such as some T2s get when they are reducing carbs. The first one is dangerous, the second usually isn't (although you really can't generalise as individuals vary a lot and there's always exceptions to the rule)

As a T2 with insulin resistance and not on medication I have never had a true hypo. I have however felt weak, blurry eyed, dizzy when I haven't eaten. I would then eat a normal meal as it's just my body's way of telling me I need food. I wouldn't 'treat' it by having sugar because as @nosher8355 says it would be unnecessary and just cause me more BG fluctuations.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found that I now only focus on the carb content of foods when purchasing rather than the sugar- does this work? If something has a lot of cigar in would that always make it high carb? Thanks

This thread has gone off topic. The OP wasn't having a hypo, she was asking how to interpret carb information on food labels, and she asked a specific question in her thread title.

Any advice for her would be helpful.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is definitely more to T1, and T2, then the low carb above anything mantra.
Possibly I'm wrong, but possibly it's not what most T1's would be looking for. (or even T2's)

How would you treat any one you had to, if they were hypo, and you where first on the scene?

With carbohydrates. They're not awful, they just have a 'place'. The idea with low carb to reduce the fluctuations in BG control, so control is tighter and hypos less likely to happen because of developed understanding. It may become a mantra simply because it becomes a way of life.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How would you treat a hypo? (That's so interesting!)

Hi @Administrator,

Because of my RH diagnosis and my hypo hell, I only had @Brunneria and my consultant, who had any idea about my blood glucose disorder, because it is a rare condition.
At the time of diagnosis, though I was not entirely aware, I was really ill. I was literally hyper and hypo within hours of each other, my blood glucose levels were yo yoing up and down.
In fact I didn't know the difference because I felt **** all the time!
There are so many different symptoms and mood swings. It was what I call my hypo hell!
Since the only way to treat it was by diet, but in the early days, I was still experiencing hypos, my control was shocking and my awareness was ln the pan. I didn't know what to do about having a hypo! I had already read the advice and was told by my health care team and a friend who is a paramedic, what he would do. And I kept getting the same advice. So I tried it, I bought glucose tablets. I went from hyper to hypo within two hours, I took some more and you guessed it, it made it worse!
So, all my life, my job as a team leader, I had to come up with solutions.
So as I'm avid reader and I had to do some research and every site or advice I sought, was treat by glucose or other high carbs for a quick sugar fix, to allay the symptoms. But in my case, it made my symptoms worse!
So, because, and after discussing it with my consultant endocrinologist, I came up with eating a rich tea biscuit as it would only contain a few carbs with a cuppa, black no sugar, and I found that didn't make me go hyper! So, no hyper, no hypo!
I thought outside the box, as I had been trained to do many years ago.
It's called lateral thinking.
Why treat something that going to make you go back to square one?
If your finger hurts by squeezing it, why squeeze it? It's logical!
My endocrinologist was impressed by my logic!

So to answer your question.
If I didn't know, which type he was and an emergency, I would call an ambulance or if he was lucid, I would ask, what type and see if he had his glucose on him! If not lucid, I would get the patient comfortable and away from danger. And wait for help!

There is obviously some diabetics and blood glucose disorders that need quick response to ease the hypo. But as some type 2s, do not necessarily need more glucose, because they are already too high, medication or something else has given them a hypo or a false hypo, then something low enough to raise their blood levels to stop their symptoms, seems to me, just as beneficial!
Of course, it would have to be a personal decision and not cause harm!
There is more than one way to cook an egg!

Can you please lock this thread now?
I've seen the O P has her thread elsewhere now.

Thanks for the interest!

Nosher

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1450455081.272249.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How would you treat a hypo? (That's so interesting!)

Speaking as another Reactive hypoglycaemic (like nosher) I would agree that, for my body, taking sugar or glucose to rectify a hypo just leads to seesawing jangly glucose highs and lows that can last for hours or days. Living like that is pretty miserable (as anyone who hypos regularly would agree).

For me there are two things to do.
- Firstly AVOID going hypo in the first place - and for my body that means LCHF ketogenic. Eating regularly. Just going low carb wasn't enough.
- The second thing is to treat a hypo with slow release foods like peanut butter, cheese, dark choc or cold meat. A low carb hot choc is great. Then sit down, calm down, chill, and wait it out. It takes longer to come back up, but the result is no jangly hyper/hypo swings. These foods do release small amounts of carbs, but they don't dump it into the bloodstream.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very interesting conversations- thank you guys for all your time! I realised i hadn't worded my question very well and perhaps in the wrong topic so re-wrote and posted somewhere else ( and thankfully got the answer i wanted) but this has all been fascinating reading. Where does it say i am type 1.5? I wish to amend this but cant find it anywhere. X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very interesting conversations- thank you guys for all your time! I realised i hadn't worded my question very well and perhaps in the wrong topic so re-wrote and posted somewhere else ( and thankfully got the answer i wanted) but this has all been fascinating reading. Where does it say i am type 1.5? I wish to amend this but cant find it anywhere. X

Your question was worded fine :)

The Type 1.5 is on your Profile. There's a current fault with the forum software which sometimes labels people as Type 1.5 when they're not. Hopefully, this will be remedied soon.

It's always useful to state your type when you're asking questions in one of the more general forums anyway, so you did the right thing. I'm glad you found the answer to your question :)

Reactions: 3 people
C

catherinecherub

To change your status you need to hover over your name at the RHS of the page and you will see "Personal details". Click on that and you can amend your status.

C

catherinecherub

Off topic :)
My post was in answer to the OP.

The whole thread revolved around people assuming that the OP was a Tye1.5. The replies would have been different if posters had known she was a Type2.

The OP is now asking how to rectify that as although her information states that she is Type1.5 she is actually Type2. and does not want to cause confusion in the future.
If you feel that my post was off topic then you have the option to report my post.

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair point, but then again, they still won't have the problem with overshoot.
with reactive hypoglycaemia, you don't want to overshoot either way and is one of the main problems, regardless where the carbs come from. Their insulin system seems full on or off and the fine adjustment seems impaired.

nosh should be very careful saying how he treats his non-medication caused lows, in what is a non-diabetic impairment. he will only confuse those that are on hypo causing meds and need instant treatment with a QA glucose medium

@Carolyn_Lesley, I think you are doing the right thing it's the total carbs you look at, the sugar is part of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks (I think) @freddy2,

That is what this forum is all about!
If the need for the forum was to follow orthodox medical thinking, then most of the posters on here would be extremely ill with very high blood glucose levels, especially because of the information from the NHS about having carbs with every meal. (Eatwell plate)

This forum exists and is widely acknowledged as the go to forum for all types of diabetes, because it recommends low carb lifestyle instead.

Open conversation about how to do things is educational and resourceful.
The information on here is priceless, and ideas that are different shouldn't be condemned.

By the way I haven't had a full on hypo since my OGTT in February!