kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, Arrogance and warm beer
Hi All,
I have always enjoyed curry , with rice of course and since being diagnosed T2 early last year I have kept it at arms length due to rice spiking BG levels, what effect does brown rice have?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The only way to know is to try it and then test. I find that white basmati rice doesn't have much effect on me, though I only have a smaller portion than I used to.
Cauli rice is better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, it doesn't matter whether the rice is black, white, red, brown or wild - it sends my blood glucose silly-high.
The last time I tried it was a measely 2 tablespoons of cooked rice on a plate with a huge portion of 3 different low carb curries which don't usually even blip my blood glucose level.
But this time, my blood sugar rose as if I had been mainlining glucose. Weird.

Fortunately, other people can often tolerate rice much better than I do :)

So just test and see how YOUR body reacts. :D
Basically, it is all about your personal tolerance and portion size.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like frozen sliced green beans as a carrier for curries - cooked of course don't eat them frozen! Lol

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brown rice would raise my BS higher than white rice .. but as others have said .. you must test your self to see how your body reacts .. we are all different

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,
I have always enjoyed curry , with rice of course and since being diagnosed T2 early last year I have kept it at arms length due to rice spiking BG levels, what effect does brown rice have?

At @kiwifrank we have a dedicated Food section. Would you like me to move your thread there?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I can't eat rice (BIG spikes) but I do love curries and for a long time I avoided them for the same reason as you.

Then I discovered cauliflower rice. If you're eating your curry at home then why not try cauliflower rice (you can make it yourself or buy it ready to cook from the veg section at most supermarkets). Its quicker than normal rice - some people just microwave it but I just fry it in some butter and/or olive oil with a bit of garlic and some garam masala - although the spices aren't necessary.

kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, Arrogance and warm beer
Thank you all, going to have to try cauliflower rice by the looks, dont know that its available ready to cook here in NZ however nothing wrong with making it, thank you all once again:) Summer is on its way out so its curry time:)

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like cauliflower try cauliflower rice. I quite like it
I found cauliflower rice dry and rather unpleasant and a waste of a cauliflower. Cauliflower and chickpea curry on the other hand is one of my favorites, on its own or as a side dish.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my curries on a bed of mushrooms and courgette fried in butter ,forgo the nanns but I can manage a couple of poppodoms
CAROL

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I steam cauliflower, chop it up, push it to the edges of the plate and pour whatever I have concocted into the middle. Works for me. Chopping after steaming seems to make a moist result - for something a bit dryer, take the lid off and put it to cool a bit. A minute or so away from the water and it will give off clouds of steam.

Reactions: kiwifrank

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The only rice that I can eat is Basmati rice but even then I can only eat a couple of desert spoonfuls and stay in my safe range, but its much better than any other rice Ive tried, including brown and wild.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like shredded crunchy lettuce under a curry to soak up the curry sauce. Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi Kiwifrank,
I just cook my cauliflower well (steamed in the micro) and give it some rough chops before I add the sauce. This works for me because I can have a takeaway with my family.