I can't concentrate at school, and it's hard for me to study. What do i need to do?

nisa.yx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
  • Hi! I have a problem. When i'm at school, i can't concentrate on my work and when the teacher is telling something. At home when i'm studying, it's hard and it doesn't really get in my head. Do you guys have any tips? What do i need to do? Because the last few days i get bad grades and normally i have good grades and it makes me very upset. Please help me!

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you stay up late at night? Drink a lot of caffine?

If you're struggling with studying, speak to your teacher and they might be able to help you. Different people learn in different ways, some by reading, some are visual, but it might be that you and your teachers haven't found the best way to learn yet

Reactions: nisa.yx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
  • Hi! I have a problem. When i'm at school, i can't concentrate on my work and when the teacher is telling something. At home when i'm studying, it's hard and it doesn't really get in my head. Do you guys have any tips? What do i need to do? Because the last few days i get bad grades and normally i have good grades and it makes me very upset. Please help me!

Hi @nisa.yx :)

You say it's only the last few days that you've had problems - is that right? Has anything changed these last few days? Could you be ill? Have you changed your sleeping times or habits? Or your diet?

What's your blood sugar been like?

I've found that brain work can use up glucose even though it's not physical exercise. Could lows be causing your symptoms? For me, finding it hard to,concentrate and not taking in what I'm reading is a sign my blood sugar is starting to go low.

Apart from that, my tips are to keep hydrated (with plain water if you can), eat well, sleep well - and don't be afraid to speak to your teachers if you're still having difficulties.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a small recording device? Only last week I was able to use a recording I had made to find the details of something I needed to know - where we were to meet, after I was distracted at just the wrong moment.
Perhaps you could use one to help with what your tutors are telling you over the next few days until you resolve your problem.

Reactions: Freema

nisa.yx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you stay up late at night? Drink a lot of caffine?

If you're struggling with studying, speak to your teacher and they might be able to help you. Different people learn in different ways, some by reading, some are visual, but it might be that you and your teachers haven't found the best way to learn yet
Thanks for your help!

nisa.yx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @nisa.yx :)

You say it's only the last few days that you've had problems - is that right? Has anything changed these last few days? Could you be ill? Have you changed your sleeping times or habits? Or your diet?

What's your blood sugar been like?

I've found that brain work can use up glucose even though it's not physical exercise. Could lows be causing your symptoms? For me, finding it hard to,concentrate and not taking in what I'm reading is a sign my blood sugar is starting to go low.

Apart from that, my tips are to keep hydrated (with plain water if you can), eat well, sleep well - and don't be afraid to speak to your teachers if you're still having difficulties.
Weeks ago, my sleep rhythm changed. I began sleeping very late and the next morning i would wake up late and get late for school. My blood sugars are these weeks very low at night when i sleep and very high when i wake up. Thanks for your tip btw!

Reactions: azure

nisa.yx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you have a small recording device? Only last week I was able to use a recording I had made to find the details of something I needed to know - where we were to meet, after I was distracted at just the wrong moment.
Perhaps you could use one to help with what your tutors are telling you over the next few days until you resolve your problem.
Thanks for your tip!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Weeks ago, my sleep rhythm changed. I began sleeping very late and the next morning i would wake up late and get late for school. My blood sugars are these weeks very low at night when i sleep and very high when i wake up. Thanks for your tip btw!

A change in sleep can certainly affect your blood sugar. It could be that.

If you're finding it hard to get to sleep at your normal time, you could try limiting screen time in the hour or two before bed. Perhaps read instead.

If you're going low at night then speak to your DSN because your insulin might need adjusting. For what it's worth, when I can't get to sleep for ages, I usually find its because my blood sugar is low. Maybe the lows are stopping you sleeping as well as usual too.

CJOtter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you are going hypo overnight then you will feel utterly awful the next day. It's a long time since I was studying for exams but I have a job that needs a high level of concentration. If I've been hypo overnight then I find I cannot function well the next day.

The hypos overnight will cause the high sugars the next morning. If this a pattern then it might be worth changing your background.