Metformin and weight gain thoughts

Balvaird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Was dignosed with type 2 about 18 months ago.

In the last few months I have increased my excercise regime (couch to 5k, resitance machines, swimming). I lose a few lbs then it creeps back on again. I regularly drink water and watch what i eat.

Is it down to my Metformin? (500g twice daily)

I am male and am 2 1/2 stone overweight.

All thoughts welcome as i have a review in a couple of weeks and TBH I am stumped and getting a bit peeved

Thanks

A

Avocado Sevenfold

A lot will depend on what you mean by "watch what i eat."

Could you give an example of a typical day's food?

Reactions: Oscarbromley

Balvaird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Less than 1800 cals daily.

No white products (bread / rice) etc.

Ensure i get my 5 a day but more veg than fruit

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What about brown bread and rice?

Portion size? Booze? Increased muscle mass? Hard to tell. I have not personally read of anyone putting on weight due to metformin.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience so far (only four weeks) has been that my appetite has lessened since starting Metformin. I guess it can affect different people in different ways?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin does not cause weight gain and in fact it can help reduce it a bit. You mention calories when you should be thinking carbs. These need to be kept down and don't worry about fats and protein. Can you let us know how many carbs you have per day. Many need to stay below 150gm/day and many here stay below 100 or less. You seem to be taking the right approach but just be aware that even the good low-GI carbs are still carbs which turn to glucose.

Reactions: dbr10

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Probably not, most people may experience the opposite effect.

Less than 1800 cals daily.

Some people might get away without worrying about calories but not everyone. It's as good a way as any to measure what you're eating and if you're already seeing that your outcome isn't matching your actions, it's worth making a note of calorie intake, it's what medics use as a measure of food intake.

I benefited from cutting carbs down to about 40gms per day but then that also cut out about 700 calories which I didn't replace with eating more fat. My body doesn't tolerate too much fat anyway. Like everything to do with diabetes, one size does not fit all and you may have to spend time "juggling" with different ideas and to make our lives interesting we're juggling ways to keep BG down and ways to lose weight.

One thing I would suggest is that you keep an accurate food diary. There's nothing worse than some medic telling you that you probably "snack" too much or are eating more than you think. Keep a diary and show it to them. I weigh everything as well, so there is no question mark left over my food consumption.

You might like to look at your medication as this can thwart our efforts to lose weight. Steroids are notorious for causing weight issues and things like Gliclazide don't help (I gained 10 kgs without trying).

All the best at your review, just go prepared with the information.

BTW, I understand the "peeved" bit. I used the Harris Benedict formula to calculate how much I should eat, I tried 500 cals per day less, 1,000 cals per day less, I did loads of exercise, swimming, resistance stuff, golf, net result nothing. Low carb and lost 4 st then nothing, I go on holiday and always lose weight (there's the answer, permanent holiday somewhere hot). Just trying Newcastle Regime, too soon to say.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience so far (only four weeks) has been that my appetite has lessened since starting Metformin. I guess it can affect different people in different ways?
I think this is most peoples' experience. Certainly mine.

Reactions: Rachox

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Balvaird,
Has your body muscle to fat ratio changed? Some people weigh the same but have actually gained actively-destabilising muscle tissue which is more dense than fat. What does your tape measure say?

Reactions: Honey_Bee_19

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Metabolising! Not destabilizing. Must proof read!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metabolising! Not destabilizing. Must proof read!

DrSnoddy - If I recall properly, you do have the facility to edit your own posts, if you want to make a correction. I'm not chastising you for making your correction as you did, just clarifying, I hope.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
My appetite lessened also, and without even noticing I lost 22 lb.
My problem is that now I'm down from 3 Metformin, to only 1 per day, I am putting on weight!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My appetite lessened also, and without even noticing I lost 22 lb.
My problem is that now I'm down from 3 Metformin, to only 1 per day, I am putting on weight!!!
I guess I may have to contend with that if/when my Metformin is reduced :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

In the last few months I have increased my excercise regime (couch to 5k, resitance machines, swimming). I lose a few lbs then it creeps back on again. I regularly drink water and watch what i eat.

All thoughts welcome as i have a review in a couple of weeks and TBH I am stumped and getting a bit peeved

Thanks

I think your problem is that you dont count your carbs and also not keep track of calories compared to your true maintenance-level

you need to know your maintenance level of how much calories you can have in a day without exeeding the number of calories so that you gain weight....
be aware that if you haven´t used your muscles much the mouscles mass could be lower than usually for your body-weight and then you need to go even lower in calories..

(it is maybe hard but it really pays to go low calories for a while , I went 1000 calories daily for half a year and lost 36 kg , it is such a joy that my body feels much healthier now.. 1000 calories is low , but then try 1500 calories a day in stead , maybe forget breakfast can make it easier and the many hours of nightly fasting also makes weightloss more likely )

here you can fill in your weight age and hight and number og daily carbs to find out...:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
by the way being a male it really pays to lift weights , building your muscles up and bigger makes your body burn more all day around, and feel better and it is maybe not as exhausting as cardio-exercise both ways of getting fit is fine but the bigger musles also do make body less insuline resistant..
but it is still importaant to keep levels of carbs as low as possible at least untill having lost belly-fat ..

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Thanks
You sound like me, the only way I lost weight was a strict low-fat calorie counting diet, finished off by the Newcastle diet. I lost around about 5 stones in the end.

Reactions: Guzzler

Marggie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about brown bread and rice?

Portion size? Booze? Increased muscle mass? Hard to tell. I have not personally read of anyone putting on weight due to metformin.

I am on Metformin, although not putting weight on I am not losing weight either. Going to the gym twice a week and walking the dog other days.

Mave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My diabetic practice nurse increased my Metformin last May to 2 500mg capsules a day, I lost 1 stone 6 pounds within 8 months and felt that 2 capsules was too much Metformin, I asked my GP in January if I could take just the 1 500mg capsule until my annual blood test which were due in May, he said providing I watched my readings. I had my annual blood tests early June and my period diabetic blood test was only 45 or 6.3 so my GP has reduced my repeat prescription to 1 capsule daily, I thought that taking 2 Metformin capsules was too much for me, it was only 6.7 when I was put onto 2 daily. I have to confess that I NEVER DIET, I just have a low fat diet which I have had for years. It is over 20 years since I had a take away or fish and chips from the chip shop, I use oven chips and breaded haddock fish from the chiller in the supermarket so I must be doing something right without having to worry about dieting. I do think taking 2 Metformin made me lose weight which I seem to have kept off. I have taken Cinnamon tablets for about the last 20 to 25 years, Cinnamon mimics the properties of Insulin, I took Cinnamon years before I had diabetes, I noticed that my blood glucose was a little high, taking Cinnamon helped to keep it within the normal range for well over 15 years, I use to take 1 two times daily, but now just take 1 tablet with my breakfast. I don't know if taking Cinnamon did make taking 2 Metformin too much for me, but I much prefer to take Cinnamon than 2 Metformin I had read a report done by the World Health Organisation about Cinnamon that was in the vitamins magazine I was buying from at the time, taking Cinnamon helped me for years

Honey_Bee_19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apologies if anyone has mentioned this earlier, but I find the FitnessPal app a great way of keeping track of everything I eat. Might be worth checking out how much muscle you have gained recently; I also keep a photo of a comparison between identical weight Fat and Muscle on my iPhone. Good luck.