Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251

Hi Kristin :)

Breakfast (so far) has been two eggs and three rashers bacon or a 4 ounce salmon fillet.
Lunch has been one or two chicken thighs and
Dinner is about 8 ounces of steak or home made burgers (lamb tonight!)

All of which doesn't really add up to much in volume but is very satisfying - I'm happy to continue on ZC as long as I continue to feel well - I appreciate my arthritis and other ailments aren't going to go away though.

I do love avocado and I did have a couple in the fridge just in case I needed them - but Mr Chook found them and took them to work with him as a 'show and tell' for a colleague of his whose never heard of avocado. :(
Haha MEN!!
In my world that would be way too much protein and saturated fat as lovely as it all sounds. It would take me 2 days to eat it but my bs wouldn't be happy if I ate it all in one day. That's roughly 22 oz of protein per day. It has been said that we can only process 3 oz (21 g) per meal and the rest will turn to glucose.
IF and when you decide to tweak get some avocado, hide it from the Mr and try it for bf without other protein if you can.

I'm going to follow this thread and see how you're getting on. I could do zero carb with the exception of avocado without an issue but I'd need to watch my protein very carefully. Id keep it where I am and just exchange my few carbs that I was eating for fat. As it stands now since my eversion to veggies is I didn't change anything other than to remove the veggies.

I don't recall if you wish to lose weight either?

Don't be so sure about your arthritis not going away. Things that cause me to be achy are nightshade veggies and all dairy. I am eating about an ounce of cheese with my fruit ( wine) lately and I am a bit stiffer but some things are just plain worth it. Haha.

Wishing you luck and following.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Kristin251

If I lose weight I will be happy but its not a priority for me - the main thing I'm hoping for is to feel healthier. I have been on low carb medium fat for a couple of years now so ZC isn't much of a leap.

It will be interesting to see if my arthritis gets any better and I have psoriasis which I hope might improve.

I don't think you can do ZC unless you eat protein at every meal - what would you eat if you didn't? Just fat?

I like avocados but I couldn't eat one every day. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you could do a variant of ZC with bulletproof coffee for breakfast.
Cue @bulkbiker :D
Which would mean a few carbs in the coffee, of course, but hardly a major transgression.

I have been reading a bit more about ZC in the last few days (online testimonials, mainly) and several of them mention getting enough fat is a challenge, so I guess the odd fat ball might come into play.

Suppose it all depends on everyone's individual interpretation. I mean, each and every one of us interprets LC differently, so I am sure the same applies to ZC.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Which would mean a few carbs in the coffee, of course, but hardly a major transgression.

I have been reading a bit more about ZC in the last few days (online testimonials, mainly) and several of them mention getting enough fat is a challenge, so I guess the odd fat ball might come into play.

Suppose it all depends on everyone's individual interpretation. I mean, each and every one of us interprets LC differently, so I am sure the same applies to ZC.

Oh, certainly, there are some very strange interpretations of it out there.

My version is KISS ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Indeedy.. 2 tablespoons of double cream add up to 0.8g of carbs so I reckon you'd be ok with that.. I know I am.

Reactions: bkr

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very interested to hear how that goes @Chook. Both the very short term BG reduction and the longer term reduction in BG.

I think you will do brilliantly if you get below 1g of carb i.e 0.9999 grams of carbs a day which for me could still be described as zero :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've just been checking out the carbs in the cheese that I like at the moment (Asda gorgonzola) - the nutrition guide states it has 1g of carbs per 100g and I have 10g melted on to a burger or steak - so I'm doing okay at the moment.

@Brunneria - You are so right about there being many definitions of ZC - I just read an interview with someone called Bear (who seems to be a bit of a ZC guru) who has been 'zero carbing' for a number of years and classes zero carbs as being anything under 5g of carbs per day. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over 10g of cheese which contains 0.1g carb.

I am very interested to hear how that goes @Chook. Both the very short term BG reduction and the longer term reduction in BG.

I think you will do brilliantly if you get below 1g of carb i.e 0.9999 grams of carbs a day which for me could still be described as zero :)

Thanks @Fleegle - DBH I'm quite interested to find out what happens, too. At the moment my BG isn't behaving itself due to inflammation in my joints (pain always raises my BG) but I'm hoping it'll come down soon.

From what I understand from reading various on-line blogs and articles, what SHOULD happen is that my BG becomes more or less the same all the time. I imagine/hope that will happen once I get rid of this really irritating dawn phenomenon which is still plaguing me after two years of low carbing. If I'm honest with myself getting rid of the DP is the main reason for zero carbing as my BG is very good from lunchtime onwards - just a bit higher than I would like in the mornings.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh! I got on the scales this morning (something I don't do often but my clothes felt loose) and I found I've lost 4lbs! Not that weight loss was top of my list of priorities - but I am rather chuffed.

Reactions: Dillinger

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
As an idea for what else you can eat Google 'fat bombs'; there are loads of recipes for those and some of them sound great.

Cold pressed coconut oil is pretty great too; you can put some in coffee with cream and it's pretty substantial. I've decided though that coffee and cream is not really for me so I just have black coffee.

May I also suggest; 'pork scratchings'. That's my answer to most questions though, but there you are!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As an idea for what else you can eat Google 'fat bombs'; there are loads of recipes for those and some of them sound great.

Cold pressed coconut oil is pretty great too; you can put some in coffee with cream and it's pretty substantial. I've decided though that coffee and cream is not really for me so I just have black coffee.

May I also suggest; 'pork scratchings'. That's my answer to most questions though, but there you are!

Thank you for the suggestions - I've never had fat bombs but I love pork scratchings. A lovely idea for an evening snack in front of the TV. I had coffee with double cream this morning - thanks @bulkbiker - and it was lovely but I'm not sure at all about putting coconut oil in it .... sounds like it might be a bit greasy and maybe not something my tummy could cope with first thing in the morning. I think I might be able to manage it for lunch one day though.

I shall have to investigate the idea of fat bombs if I ever feel hungry again - which doesn't seem likely. My appetite has completely disappeared - I usually eat something at lunchtime with my husband (because of his shifts its his main meal of the day and I like us to eat together whenever possible) but I only managed two little chicken drumsticks.

This evening I'm making myself some home made lamb burgers - except I've mixed a sugar free spice mix in with the lamb mince and I've rolled them in to balls rather than burgers - just for a bit of variety. I can have leftovers cold for lunch tomorrow. I might crumble a tiny bit of feta cheese (0.3g carbs per 100g) over them before 'serving'.

Mr C asked me if I would be continuing with Zero Carb next week - I think he's getting jealous. :)

Reactions: bkr and Dillinger

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They are an interesting idea and maybe something to keep in mind if decide to do this for more than the trial six weeks I've set myself - but I have not felt any kind of hunger - not even the munchies - so far. I have just eaten my spicy lamb burger/balls and feel really full up - and I forgot to crumble the feta over them before eating.

I can't emphasise how strange it is for me to not have an appetite or any interest in food for the first time in my life. On the numerous low calorie diets I attempted in the past I thought about food ALL the time - which got much worse when I kept strictly to the Eatwell Plate diet sheet - and even on VLC I've still felt ready for my meals - but now I just am eating because its my regular eating times.

I do wonder what would happen if I just waited until I felt hungry.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. The only time I would eat a fat bomb would be to replace a protein meal.

I too have been hungry all my life. Always watching the clock and planning meals. Now I just eat something when I need to take insulin. Since my background insulin is gone by morning I need a small injection every three hours to stay steady but they are really small snacks and nothing even close to a meal. Unfortunately for me I do have to eat something every three hours but I have my VERY simple routine. My evening meal is really my only meal and still small but I need to eat/ snack 5-6 times a day. I prefer grazing anyway so it works for me. Never hungry never stuffed. Although I do have to say there isn't a second in any day that I COULDNT eat, even when sick lol

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
They are an interesting idea and maybe something to keep in mind if decide to do this for more than the trial six weeks I've set myself - but I have not felt any kind of hunger - not even the munchies - so far. I have just eaten my spicy lamb burger/balls and feel really full up - and I forgot to crumble the feta over them before eating.

I can't emphasise how strange it is for me to not have an appetite or any interest in food for the first time in my life. On the numerous low calorie diets I attempted in the past I thought about food ALL the time - which got much worse when I kept strictly to the Eatwell Plate diet sheet - and even on VLC I've still felt ready for my meals - but now I just am eating because its my regular eating times.

I do wonder what would happen if I just waited until I felt hungry.
You will not need "fat bombs" on a zero carb diet. And, of course, plant derived fats are not part of zero carb. Interestingly, people who are in the early times of a zero carb diet really go for high fat meat, but after a few years that settles down and people go for leaner cuts. I'm not sure why. I still like fatty meats, but I'm only at 2 years of zero carb. Not many people on zero carb feel the need to snack between meals. Usually that's a sign that they're not eating enough. There's nothing wrong with waiting until you're hungry to eat.

Reactions: bkr and Chook

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You will not need "fat bombs" on a zero carb diet. And, of course, plant derived fats are not part of zero carb. Interestingly, people who are in the early times of a zero carb diet really go for high fat meat, but after a few years that settles down and people go for leaner cuts. I'm not sure why. I still like fatty meats, but I'm only at 2 years of zero carb. Not many people on zero carb feel the need to snack between meals. Usually that's a sign that they're not eating enough. There's nothing wrong with waiting until you're hungry to eat.
Since zero carb was never my intention I've never researched it. Why wouldn't plant fat like coconut oil or olive oil be a part of it? I know avocados have carbs so that I understand.

I'm a fan of some leaner proteins as well as some fattier ones like chicken thighs and fatty fish as well as lamb and beef but I like some white fishes, shrimp, egg, etc. I guess I like balancing them. I suppose my avocado its meals guarentees fat.

If one does not want to lose weight which would they eat more of? Both protein and fat? I don't want to lose or gain but rather curious.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chook , I will be extremely interested to hear if your hunger returns on the night you allow yourself veggies!!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Since zero carb was never my intention I've never researched it. Why wouldn't plant fat like coconut oil or olive oil be a part of it? I know avocados have carbs so that I understand.

I'm a fan of some leaner proteins as well as some fattier ones like chicken thighs and fatty fish as well as lamb and beef but I like some white fishes, shrimp, egg, etc. I guess I like balancing them. I suppose my avocado its meals guarentees fat.

If one does not want to lose weight which would they eat more of? Both protein and fat? I don't want to lose or gain but rather curious.

Good question - I haven't got the definitive answer I'm afraid. I would guess it would be protein though, as fat doesn't cause people to get fat as carbs and protein do can. I can't remember where I read it but I vaguely remember reading something about eating protein in the absence of eating carbs causes gluconeogenesis, which is why T1 diabetics have to bolus for protein if they aren't eating carbs with it. (I am likely to be wrong on this though, as I said, its just something I read in passing.) So, if fat doesn't put on fat and you aren't eating carbs then it would have to be the protein that you would need to find the right balance for to maintain your weight.

I do apologise if I've got this completely wrong.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Zero carb is just the term someone came up with for a diet of only animal derived food with no plant derived food, other than spices and coffee/tea. I guess it sounded better than meatatarian. And zero carb does not mean literally zero carb, since there are some carbs in lots of animal based food. And plant derived foods that have no carbs are no part of a zero carb diet. The benefits of the diet come not just almost no carbs, but also from no plants. I noticed a difference right away going from a low carb high fat diet with lots of very low carb veg to a zero carb diet.

Under the zero carb diet philosophy, there's no need to count macros. Just eat the meat you enjoy. For non-diabetics, meat does not raise their blood glucose levels. I suspect that's also true for type 2 diabetics that still produce a decent amount of insulin.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good question - I haven't got the definitive answer I'm afraid. I would guess it would be protein though, as fat doesn't cause people to get fat as carbs and protein do can. I can't remember where I read it but I vaguely remember reading something about eating protein in the absence of eating carbs causes gluconeogenesis, which is why T1 diabetics have to bolus for protein if they aren't eating carbs with it. (I am likely to be wrong on this though, as I said, its just something I read in passing.) So, if fat doesn't put on fat and you aren't eating carbs then it would have to be the protein that you would need to find the right balance for to maintain your weight.

I do apologise if I've got this completely wrong.
not wrong but not sure it's type one thing or more an absense of carbs which is why I keep questioning protein as your bs isn't responding.
I know I gluconeogenesis FAST !
Weird thing tonight. I had asparagus and Brussels sprouts sitting there and rather than letting them rot I made then for my hubby. Had two sprouts and one asP and bloated and hungry. So ridiculous. Questioned him if I've been like this and he said not since I quit veggies!! Bloating keeps my bs higher too. Out they go!!

I'm not going zero carbs but for now just protein and avocado and a few nuts. My stomach isn't so much better.

Waiting to see how you respond to veggies @Chook when the time comes.

Last edited:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.