Sweets, Treats and Chocolate

pms543

Am wondering what you replace the above with?

My doctor / nurse has yet to go through everything with me so forgive my ignorance

However, I LOVE sweets and choc and the thought of having to give it up is daunting....

Any ideas, tips ? etc...thank you

anniep

Hi again pms

When desperate I use Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate, it is a bit of an acquired taste but it satisifies and has about 14g carb in 100g chocolate, I have found that 2 of the squares with about 3g carb don't do any damage to my BG. I have read some people say they melt it and dip strawberries in it, other people have said that they can eat blueberries, some cream is low carb and so you can have some fuit and cream

I have read here about a sainsbury's chocolate but I don't live near a sainsbury's to check it out, perhaps somebody else can help you on that one.

There has been a lot of talk on a thread here about the hartley's ready made jelly's, and ways to use them - I can't eat them as they are not vegatarian, but there are sugar free jellies out there.

Be carefull with yogurts as some of them are really high in sugar, even the lowest carb veggie ones I found effected my bg, though some no veggie ones have lower carb amount is in them.

But you will find that the less you eat the less you want to eat, chocolate is addictive and you will find it easier as time goes on.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
anniep said:
I have read here about a sainsbury's chocolate but I don't live near a sainsbury's to check it out, perhaps somebody else can help you on that one.

The Sainsburys 85% cocoa bars are about the same size as the Llindt bars but come with separate rapped bars inside, the size of two llindt squares so saves breaking them off, I also prefer the taste of the Sainsbury bars.
However the last couple of weeks my local Sainsburys has not had any in stock so I suspect they might be dropping the range, which is something they seem to do with everything I like. The usual comment is "theres no call for it" :cry: Hope its not so...

On a brighter note if I feel like a piece of chocolate I will have a piece, OK, not a whole bar or two or three like I used to eat pre DB, but one square of chocolate is not going to do any long term damage and neither is a cream cake occasionally.
On family birthdays we have always bought a chocolate cake, and still do but now I just have a small slice with cream, the cream being mainly fat slows down the rate at which the sugars in the cake are absorbed into the blood stream.

I do not eat sweets and chocolate every day, but a treat now and then will do no harm IMO

anniep

What Sid said, except being being wheat intolerant, on those special occasions I don't have chocolate cake, I have a merangue with cream.

pms543

Ta very muchly..........it may not be so bad after all.....think its the rememberance of my docs last words on Friday.....no sweets or anything like it please!!

C

catherinecherub

I would add that you need to stay away from the "diabetic friendly" ones as the sugar substitute has a laxative effect. :lol: :lol:

anniep

It's impossible to live forever without treats, but it is important to get into the mindset that they are treats and not everyday things.

When I go out for a meal for example, I look at the desert menu before deciding on a main course, as I can eat a few potatoes but NOT with a pudding. So if there is an eton mess or somehthing similar on the menu, I will not choose to have chips but have the lowest carb main course, and save myself for the pudding.

But as you get into it and read more here you will find ways and means ond good tips.

pms543

catherinecherub said:
I would add that you need to stay away from the "diabetic friendly" ones as the sugar substitute has a laxative effect. :lol: :lol:

Yes I have been reading that

Thanks for more advice Annie :D

castaway

Is it harmful to have a "treat" everyday, eg. choc biscuit or slice of cake as long as you tag it on the end of a meal and take sufficient insulin to cover it?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
castaway said:
Is it harmful to have a "treat" everyday, eg. choc biscuit or slice of cake as long as you tag it on the end of a meal and take sufficient insulin to cover it?

I don't have a treat every day because it would then become an everyday thing, taken for granted, so no longer a treat.
However if you are able by whatever means to keep good control then I wouldnt think it would do much damage.

But, and theres always a but isn't there, then what would you have for a treat, an ice cream? then the ice cream becomes an every day thing and a treat becomes say a slice of cake and before you no it you have put on 3 stone and are becoming insulin intolerant. Its a cruel world!! :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As Sid said, if a treat becomes a habit.....then it isn't a treat anymore !

I keep a 'stash' of treats in the fridge and cupboard in the kitchen. Some of them have been there for quite a time. You have to have the willpower to not binge, something I am fortunate to have. So, my stash is kept as a 'treat' only. Once in a while I do go 'off the rails'.........

Hell, isn't that what life is all about. Would be very dull if we always stuck to 'the rules' !

There are people who just cannot do that, so if that is the case then they just don't buy it.......keep temptation out of reach.

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very rarely have a sweet treat nowadays having given up dark chocolate a few months back, but one day last week I was totally peed off and had myself a crunchie bar, I've no idea why I ate it cause I don't particularly like them :? ............next time I may opt for a mars bar! :twisted:

Nigel

anniep

On holiday I found that the co-op make an 85% fair trade chocolate, that is very nice, much nicer than the lindt, it has a carb or two more but still nothing drastic for a couple of squares.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
My advice is ditch all sweets, chocolate and other temptations.

To ease my sweet tooth urges I keep a tub of creme fraiche handy in the fridge. One or two spoonfuls of that "hits the spot". :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Strawberries and cream always does it for me.

Don't see why you can't melt some Lindt 90% with some cream, and re-freeze into bars. Should taste a little like milk chocolate, surely? (Probably need to add some sweetener, though...)

Sugar free chocolate truffles are quite easy to make using 90% choc. I'll see if I can find the recipe...

Got it:

Chocolate Truffles
Makes as many pieces as you cut it into!

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 Tbsp. Splenda
4 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
4Tbsp. whipping cream, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 oz. crushed macadamia nuts (optional)

The success of this recipe depends upon the melted chocolate and butter being at the same temperature. If not, the chocolate and butter will separate.

Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir in the Splenda and cool to room temperature. Combine the chocolate and butter until smooth. Stir in cream and vanilla, then the nuts if using.

Spread evenly into a small, parchment lined loaf pan-I use one that was 4-by 7-inches. Chill until firm. Cut into pieces and store in the freezer.

anniep

Patch I'm drooling at the thought of it! I can see a weekend experimentation coming on. On the sugar free jelly site somebody suggested adding cream to make a mousse, so while I have to buy some cream, I might as well try this one too. :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
anniep said:
On the sugar free jelly site somebody suggested adding cream to make a mousse

Yup. That was me too!

I've done a fair bit of experimenting with sugar free sweet stuff. The most spectacular failure so far has been sugar free marshmallow... Somehow, it turned into strawberry flavour foam?!? :lol: