Type 1 What meter do you use

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not getting a new meter, I just am wondering what you guys do.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @nathanw777 I've used quite a few meters now and each one has it's owns pros and cons, my last meter before I got my pump was the Abbott Freestyle Insulinx, it was a great meter as it calculated my carb/insulin doses for me and I could download the results on my computer and send to my nurse if I had to, very easy to use and took the headache out of calculating my doses all the time - which one are you on ?

Reactions: GrantGam

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @nathanw777 I've used quite a few meters now and each one has it's owns pros and cons, my last meter before I got my pump was the Abbott Freestyle Insulinx, it was a great meter as it calculated my carb/insulin doses for me and I could download the results on my computer and send to my nurse if I had to, very easy to use and took the headache out of calculating my doses all the time - which one are you on ?
Freestyle Libre but only use for the traditional blood test nowadays

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @nathanw777 So are you using the sensor patches with this ?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I use the AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz. It was DNS's wish. Looks basic but does the job.

D

Deleted Account

I use the Freestyle Optimum Neo.
There are a few reasons for this
- It is small. I don't want to hike around a big meter.
- It is easy to use. Put in the test strip, give it some blood, 5 seconds later the results are displayed.
- It doesn't take much blood.
- It is pretty robust. To take up less space in my bag/pocket, I chucked out the case years ago so I need something that I am not afraid of breaking
- It measures both BG and ketones (with different strips)
- The customer service from Freestyle is good. They replaced it when I complained there were some fixed pixels on the screen
- It is easy to upload to Diasend. You just plug in a USB cable.

It's not perfect
- the test strips are individually wrapped in foil. Some people complain this makes them difficult to get to. I just think it's extra waste
- changing the time is far from intuitive. I travel 5 or 6 times a year and struggle to change the time when I do. This may not be important but to correlate the readings on Diasend, I need my meter and pump to be on the same timezone and I need to change my pump to ensure the different basal times are correct.
- It does not calculate insulin doses. This is not a problem for me because my pump does it with far less button presses than the Insulix meter does.

Reactions: therower and Juicyj

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am not getting a new meter, I just am wondering what you guys do.

Pump has a built-in bg meter, but have a Freestyle lite in reserve.

Before pumping I was using the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert, it was a great little meter which has a bolus adviser installed.

Poppyeliza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the free style optium neo and yes the individually wrapped strips are quite annoying but otherwise it's a good machine. I use the dexcom g5 mobile with tis also

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Now I'm on the Dexcom CGM, but I still use the Freestyle Lite meter. I have a whole collection of meters, because each time I saw a new one advertised, I would order it. So I've tried loads. I use this one simply because it takes the least blood.

Reactions: 22nw22

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use the accu-chek Mobile, I find with the cartridge I don't have used test strips littering the place same with the lancets.

Reactions: 22nw22

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Freestyle Optimum Neo, which was an upgrade from Optimum Xceed.
Compact, robust, enough information but not to much ( I need to know basics nothing to fancy ), great customer back up and I LIKE IT.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I used to use an accu check mobile but my gp changed all diabetics to Mylife Pura. I don't like it as much the only plus point is it's small!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dario Smart Meter with my Samsung S7. Recently started using the Dexcom G5 with xDrip+ on ma phone. Pretty cool piece of kit and should work out cost effective (cheaper than the Libre) as long as the sensors last as long as I'd like:)

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to use an accu check mobile but my gp changed all diabetics to Mylife Pura. I don't like it as much the only plus point is it's small!
I'm sorry that they did that to you. luckily my hospital didn't do that. I feel really sorry you don't like the Mylife Pura whatever it is. :(

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Freestyle Optimum Neo, which was an upgrade from Optimum Xceed.
Compact, robust, enough information but not to much ( I need to know basics nothing to fancy ), great customer back up and I LIKE IT.
I don't like that meter no offense, it's just that it doesn't beep

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A while back when I had run out of test strips for the meter I was using at that time I bought a pura at local chemists for a fiver the free strips with it kept me going for a couple of days, It was a **** meter and it's now in the bottom of a cupboard somewhere So I am sorry you are lumbered with one.