What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: a slice of GF toast with butter. 15g carbs!!! Delicious, but not what I want regularly.
L: leftover brisket, in the juices, with coleslaw. Again, delicious, and this time something I would happily eat all the time! lol
S: forgot I had some 70% with orange bits! Drat
D: am very excited. Doing ribs, and I am using this recipe, with Rhubarb :D
http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/country-ribs-with-rhubarb-barbecue.html
I have made the sauce already, and it is delicious, now I just have to baste the ribs and bake in the oven for a bit.

(of course, I had to tweak the recipe a bit. It is a lot less sweet, and really tangy and quite hot. Also, I seem to have made a bucketload, so there will we 3 portions going into the freezer. Result, eh?)

Hi @Brunneria,

The rib recipe really sounds exciting. What did you do to tweak it? I would be very interested in knowing how it turned out?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 to clarify I had my granddaughter for all of the time and frequent visits by my grandson. My granddaughter is very keen to learn to cook with me so we made tea loaf and Hummingbird cake and ginger nuts on a number of occasions. Temptation indeed!
I can't imagine having the whole family and the animals too! I think I would have been exhausted! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Brunneria,

The rib recipe really sounds exciting. What did you do to tweak it? I would be very interested in knowing how it turned out?

I basically browned an onion with garlic, added the rhubarb and a little water, til it went soft. Then tipped in barbecue sauce, sundried tomatoes, chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, some lemon juice, a pork stock cube and black pepper. I forgot the mustard. Once i tasted it, i popped in some erythritol because it had ended up too sharp. It ended up a lovely combo of sweet, sharp, tangy and savory. Probably used 3x the rhubarb in the recipe. :)

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Brunneria,

Thanks so much for this. This really does sound delicious and rhubarb is a very unusual ingredient.. I definitely have to try this. Did you enjoy the ribs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: mixed berries & Greek yogurt, 2 boiled eggs
L: V. small cheese spread butty on wholemeal with beetroot, pomegranate seed & carrot salad, 12 grapes & mullerlight greek yogurt
T: Tikka chicken fillet with 2 new potatoes, tenderstem broccoli & runner beans
Tea & coffee during the day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 to clarify I had my granddaughter for all of the time and frequent visits by my grandson. My granddaughter is very keen to learn to cook with me so we made tea loaf and Hummingbird cake and ginger nuts on a number of occasions. Temptation indeed!
I can't imagine having the whole family and the animals too! I think I would have been exhausted! :)
I was that......and close to insanity too!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and a bit of xylitol.

Lunch: The last bit of left-over chili rellenos, olives, a whole avocado and Rambol (a French cheese with walnuts).

Late afternoon: Went for a walk with my husband and stopped for a glass of red wine on the way home.

Late supper at home: Another glass of dry red wine, a small portion of lamb, mushrooms and onions in cream sauce, half a low-carb role, half an apricot, half a fig.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday...

Breakfast: Black coffee

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Corned beef and salad (with avocado) plus a Lidl protein roll

Evening: 10g macadamia nuts and 20g almonds

Drinks: mainly sparkling water but had a glass of red with a friend in the evening

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Blackberries and cream

L. 2 slices of Schar vitality bread toasted with butter
1 hours swimming

D. Salmon fillet with salad. Strawberries with Alpro chocolate and hazelnut icecream

B

badcat

I had 2 mahoosive courgettes from my farm shop trip yesterday and 12 muffins from my baking exploits, so they have featured heavily in todays menu
B - one of my LC coffee and pecan nut muffins with a cup of coffee and cream
L - Found a recipe from a BBC good food book for Courgette and tomato soup that Ive been meaning to try for a while - it fitted all of my culinary criteria i.e Simple and low carb - it was very nice. Had that with 100g prawns in 10g of garlic mayo
D - cut the other courgette into chunks, sprayed with olive oil, several grinds of black pepper and sloww roasted, Then whizzed it up with 30g goats cheese to make a dip which was nice with a low carb mini pitta. Followed up with one of my LC blueberry muffins
945 cals, 22g carbs

Very strange BS tho - the pre/ post meal rise for the soup as 5mmol - on 7g carbs ***! Not a meter issue but Im Pretty certain my liver did some dumping - just after I ate it I got a hot flush / energy rush that lasted a few minutes - Im well past menopause so its not that and Ive come to assosciate the feeling with liver dumps as whever Ive had it and been bothered to test, my sugars have always shown an illogical rise from pre meal levels. Heyho

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - none

Lunch - tuna mayo with baby leaf spinach, rocket and baby plum tomatoes; 2 squares Lindt 90%

Dinner - smoked salmon, 2 poached eggs, half an avocado

Drinks - 1 mug tea with cream, 1 Diet Coke, lots of sparkling water and tap water

Think I'm going to try the Oomi noodles tomorrow

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: the crust end of my GF loaf (glad that is gone. Wont be tempted. Do have several frozen slices too though) with cheese, a smear of mayo and garlic jam. GARLIC JAM!!!
D: courgetti, in a cream cheese sauce with smoked salmon (i baulked at the cost of just smoked salmon, so i did 50:50 with baked salmon) and dill, with a green salad. Its a dietdoctor recipe and i will be doing it again!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm debating over a wee prosecco at the moment. Bed on 6.4 (ate later ) FBG 6.2 and pre breakfast was 6.7. Spent a lot of today cleaning the washing machine (door seal - yuk. ) then moved onto my range cooker which I do not want to use now it is so clean. Hence why I am now thinking about a wee prosecco. Food a bit back to front as Hubby is away to the football.
B. 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 A Lidl high protein roll. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Diet Doctor sweet and sticky chicken wings with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. ( Didn't find them sweet or sticky but I air fried them and they were crispy. Still very tasty)
D Diet Doctor Chia Pudding with blueberries that should have been breakfast (Still have enough for breakfast tomorrow, so easy to make).
Mug marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon.
Still haven't decided about that wee prosecco.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

perry1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People that moan for no reason
B- Egg,Bacon Burgen bread sandwich
L- Greek yogurt with strawberry's
D- steak,mushrooms grilled tomato 2 new potatoes
2 mugs black coffee 1 green tea and water throughout the day.

pms543

I'm debating over a wee prosecco at the moment. Bed on 6.4 (ate later ) FBG 6.2 and pre breakfast was 6.7. Spent a lot of today cleaning the washing machine (door seal - yuk. ) then moved onto my range cooker which I do not want to use now it is so clean. Hence why I am now thinking about a wee prosecco. Food a bit back to front as Hubby is away to the football.
B. 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 A Lidl high protein roll. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Diet Doctor sweet and sticky chicken wings with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. ( Didn't find them sweet or sticky but I air fried them and they were crispy. Still very tasty)
D Diet Doctor Chia Pudding with blueberries that should have been breakfast (Still have enough for breakfast tomorrow, so easy to make).
Mug marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon.
Still haven't decided about that wee prosecco.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Did you use the aminos for the wings?