Benefits after 18yrs

sci-fi

Hi

Up until the age of 18 i was on DLA, getting about 180 pound a month

Then straight after my 18th birthday, the money was cut etc and until now it hasn't proved a problem as i was in college and able to make my cash stretch (from EMA).

Bit of back ground into myself and my condition though, been T1 since i was 7, and if im completely honest never had good control over it. For the past year i have been seeing a therapist about my lack of control etc.

Im just trying to find out if im entitled to anything as it was a shock when they took it away

thanks for any replies :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I didn't think diabetes alone would qualify you for DLA so I ask if your claim was solely for being a T1?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
You do surprise me! I know plenty of people who were turned down as T1 without any other problems.

sci-fi

lol thats me a bag of suprises :p

but yeh, we had to fight for it, not to mention the states i can get in

just looking to find out about other benifits i can claim for now

Dollyrocker

sci-fi said:

:roll: there's a recent thread in the youth forum regarding DLA, I suggest you read it

I'd also like to point out that just because you can claim a benefit doesn't mean you should. Your comment in bold disgusts me

jopar

Diabetic children get DLA because they do need extra help with there condition with determining dose etc..

Adults will only get DLA if they have either diabetic complications or another medical condition that warrants DLA payment..

Bad control unless it has produced hypo unawearness that requires you to have somebody to look after you doesn't quailify for DLA

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with all the postings in response to the benefits question.....I am absolutely gobsmacked that somebody could think they could get DLA just for being a T1???? Gosh, I am absolutely stunned beyond the point of being able to write even more.....howver, just what is EMA??????

Dollyrocker

EMA is basically a bribe from the benefit to encourage people to stay in education http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_066945

Then straight after my 18th birthday, the money was cut etc and until now it hasn't proved a problem as i was in college and able to make my cash stretch (from EMA).

Here's a thought now you're not in education, get a job and start contributing to the fund that you are so keen to take money out of

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
CRIKEY!!!!!! Speechless, didn't even know EMA existed, no wonder this country is in crisis!!!!!

sci-fi

Dollyrocker said:
sci-fi said:

:roll: there's a recent thread in the youth forum regarding DLA, I suggest you read it

I'd also like to point out that just because you can claim a benefit doesn't mean you should. Your comment in bold disgusts me

sorry, i should have worded that better, if im entitled to anything

if not thats fine, as i said im just trying to find out

jaykay

Hey sci-fi, as I don't know you at all or what your situation is, I shall not comment on whether or not you SHOULD be claiming. What I would say is that the citizens advice bureau are normally pretty hot on what benefits are available and the Benefits Agency are also quite a good source of info if you can get hold of a decent supervisor who knows what they are talking about. Asking for help doesn't make you a bad person and you shouldn't be put off by some of the comments here. If you need help, go for it and don't give up until you get it.

sci-fi

to JayKay, thank you for the reply, i shall try them at the soonest possible time. I have no problem sharing my situation, all people need to do is ask.

To all the "haters" if it was my wording, i am sorry. But if not then would you please voice your opinions elsewhere

cheers

Dippy3103

Can I ask what your circumstances are? I mean do you live with family etc.
The rules for DLA for a child differ to those for an adult. In the eyes of the benefit system you are now an adult.
If you are available for and actively seeking work you could sign for JSA.

You could apply for DLA as an adult, but the claim will only succeed if you have care or mobilty needs. This is unlikely unless you have complications. But if you apply and are honest on the claim form the worst case scenario is they will say no.

Good luck.

sci-fi

Dollyrocker said:
A thread about diabetes and benefits is the perfect place to voice an opinion on diabetes and benefits.

ok fair enough, but not a place for you to get on my back

im just looking for a way to make life that tiny bit easier, considering that i have never had a hba1c below 8.9, im generally at 11-14...but hey ho ...cheers for all your helpful advice :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Dollyrocker said:
A thread about diabetes and benefits is the perfect place to voice an opinion on diabetes and benefits.

Dolly.
Whilst this Forum is the place to voice an opinion.....it is not the place to berate a Member who is looking for some advice and support. We should all in the first instance not rush to a snap judgement about a Member but perhaps ask questions as to the circumstances which appertain to the individual.

Can everybody please moderate their responses in the future to avoid upsetting other Members. this Forum is all about HELP and SUPPORT whatever we may personally think.

cugila
Forum Monitor

C

catherinecherub

Glad you intervened Ken.
We have no idea about this member's circumstances and it is better to say nothing than berate an individual if you do not know the full story.
Hope you sort it out sci-fi and let us know how you get on.

Dollyrocker

sci-fi said:
Dollyrocker said:

ok fair enough, but not a place for you to get on my back

im just looking for a way to make life that tiny bit easier, considering that i have never had a hba1c below 8.9, im generally at 11-14...but hey ho ...cheers for all your helpful advice :roll:

I appreciate that and yes, my response may have come across as a little harsh (as yours came across a little moneygrabbing!) and for that I apologise as you have claarified that wasn't what you meant.

The fact of the matter is, extra money won't help your control, it won't lower your HBA1C, you need to invest yourself into doing that. As a taxpayer I am asking, how is that benefit money helping you? You'd be better off asking your doctor to give you more guidance, ask for a continuous glucose monitor, as to go on the Dafne course, ask for a pump. These are steps you can take to improve your control and live your life, claiming benefits isn't.

:)

sci-fi

"moneygrabbing" i wouldnt say so at all

If i am indeed entitled why shouldnt i recieve them :?

And you may not think so but any funds, small or big, do help...it takes off pressure of worrying about when/how you can afford stuff.( and before you take that the wrong way NO not bleeding xboxes or 52 " tellys )

I do ask my doctor for guidance, which has lead me to a therapist ...

i have been living with T1 for over 10 years and its always been the same for me.

i would appreciate if you keep out of my thread, as i came here for help and second person to post something doesnt even help, just assumes the worst. this is meant to be about diabetes, not the countries economic state

to all those that have helped, the person i pm'ed in particular, thank you