Gliclazide effects

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
I have herd a few things about the side effects of Gliclazide and one is weight gain.

I just wondered if it is gliclazide making you put weight on or that u have to eat when u take Gliclazide?

If this makes any sence

Thanks

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on gliclazide since diagnosis and have gained no weight at all. I take my pill with my breakfast.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started gliclazide a few months ago. Was 60kg when I started. I don't weigh myself much but my clothes started feeling loose. I now weigh 55kg. So it has has the opposite effect on me but has made my blood glucose levels pretty darn near perfect! Give it a try!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been taking Glic for over 20 years -my weight tends to go up 2-3 of pounds then back down but I dont think its anything to do with Gliclizide - tends to be a few pounds on in winter then off again in spring / summer

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on varying doses of gliclizide since diagnosis 8 years ago and have lost over 11 stone so no - you do have to get the balance right though - if you find your having hypos and having to treat them you may need to speak to your GP about lowering your dose imho that's when you can get weight gain feeding hypos increases your food intake obviously:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Until recently I was on 4 x 80mg per day, and my weight dropped. Since stabilising my bgl I have reduced my Glic to 2 x 40mg, and my weight has been static for a year now.

Although Glic has helped me control my bgl, it is a medication I would advise you to try to reduce when you can, since it works by overstimulating the pancreas to increase insulin production, which is not a good idea in the long term for a T2D.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I was on 80mg of Gliclazide a day for 4 months, it was reduced to 40mg a day due to hypos and then taken off after another 3 months due to hypos and I lost a stone altogether. Now on Metformin which I am really struggling with.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's not Gliclazide that can make you gain weight but the fact that it enables you to metabolise carbs again; same with insulin. So keep the carbs sensibly low and match the Gliclazide dose to manage your blood sugar.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I put on a stone on glicizide (minimal dose) and suffered massive depression/ suicidal thoughts on this drug before coming off it. At my latest check up the DSN said she wished doctors would stop prescribing it. I was (and still low carbing) with approx 30 mins exercise each day (running) and I could not shift the weight that drug caused me to put on. It did lower my readings but the side effects for me were horrifying. Take it by all means, but please do monitor and go to your doctor if you start to have issues.

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Hiya - this is a question I have too as recently I've been put onto gliclazide. I'm only on 20mg 4 days a week at the moment thankfully. I weigh myself weekly and have only put on half a pound. I've been on it 3 weeks now :)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have herd a few things about the side effects of Gliclazide and one is weight gain.

If you google Gliclazide and weight gain, weight gain is not uncommon.

My own personal experience was that after being taken off Rosiglitazone, an awful drug which helped me gain a huge amount of weight I started to lose weight (no change in diet of exercise, I still have my food diaries). I had lost 4 stone in 4 months, without trying (been low calorie for ever) trouble was my BG was not good so put on Gliclazide at which point I stopped losing any weight and in fact gained 10 kgs.

Judging by the other replies it seems to go either way, although weight gain is one of the key facts noted in the NHS guidelines and is also noted as a side effect in the British National Formulary.

And NICE have this to say:

Cautions For all SULFONYLUREAS Can encourage weight gain (should be prescribed only if poor control and symptoms persist despite adequate attempts at dieting);
and:
Sulfonylureas are also associated with modest weight gain, probably due to increased plasma-insulin concentrations.

At least that last bit says why it might happen, rather than assume people eat more.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi all

I just wondered if it is gliclazide making you put weight on or that u have to eat when u take Gliclazide?

If this makes any sence

Thanks
I can honestly say that the Gliclizade has not made me put on weight. The problem is (as I understand it - and please correct me if I am wrong!) that it reacts with the amount of carbs you have and therefore stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. Therefore the more carbs you have, the more insulin is produced. I had my first hypo when I had had too many carbs by doing this! I've been on it for the last year with no problems (unlike the dreaded metformin which I couldn't tolerate!). I'm hoping when I get my HBAC1 levels checked next that they are improved and the doctors will consider taking me off or reducing my dosage. I only take one 40mg tablet twice daily. (PS I've lost 4½ stone in weight over the course of 14 months).

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've lost 4½ stone in weight over the course of 14 months

Well done on the weight loss. Just shows how different we all are. It would be interesting, especially as it is well documented as a known side effect by the NHS/NICE/BNF, to find out why some have what seems to be the exact opposite side effect.

It must be frustrating for first time users, not knowing which way it will go for them.

All I can add is that when I started Gliclazide, it was about 4 months after I had taken Rosiglitazone and I had stopped that because of worsening liver function. Seems that was more important than the excessive weight gain on Rosiglitazone. I must also add that I was put on Citilapram for anxiety caused by the weight gain on Rosiglitazone. So, I just got fatter and fatter and didn't give a monkeys. Not a good state of mind for one's health.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thank you for your kind words.:):)

I must admit the weight loss has been due to carb control i.e. going under 100g a day and keeping it going. Its been hard work at time (and I have to say I have had the occasional treat), but once breaking the habit of eating carbs and sweets is done, you don't really go back to it. The key I found is not to have them in the house to eat. You can't be tempted by naughty things if they aren't there!

Also exercise is the key - I try to do at least half an hour brisk walking a day (weather permitting). Its made such a different to my fitness levels (and going down 4 dress sizes gives me a huge incentive to stay on the straight and narrow).

Think of Gliclizade as a tool - for the times when you know that you are going to be having more carbs than you would otherwise, it's useful to keep your BS levels under control.:angelic:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DavidGrahamJones - I think for me it's the same as @Nicksu - I started off max dose and as I lost weight and dropped my numbers reduced a few times until now on 40mg twice a day. I have always kept my carbs around 80- 100g and after my first 5 stone loss also have to keep an eye on calories too - no more than 1400 a day.

I did try very hard to drop the last bit of gliclizide but my numbers rose even on 20g carb a day so had to take it back.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never put on weight with Gliclazide and have lost sufficient weight to stop using it altogether. It can cause hypos. and there may be a tendency to eat little too much to ensure that hypos. are avoided, particularly if you are going out, working or travelling. The trick is to test and self adjust your dose if and when the incidence of, or threat of hypos. increases. The incidence of hypos., in my case, became greater as I lost weight.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I never put on weight with Gliclazide and have lost sufficient weight to stop using it altogether. It can cause hypos. and there may be a tendency to eat little too much to ensure that hypos. are avoided, particularly if you are going out, working or travelling. The trick is to test and self adjust your dose if and when the incidence of, or threat of hypos. increases. The incidence of hypos., in my case, became greater as I lost weight.
I'd agree about it causing hypos - I had to stop taking it altogether when I had to do a 48 hour starve when I had gastroenteritis. My lowest level before I stopped it - 2.8 - not good - scary how shaky I felt!. Anyway I have found that if I eat too many carbs it can react and drop my BS level down too low (thank god for jelly babies!). The trick is finding the right ratio of what to eat - many people just avoid carbs altogether. I do like a few (but not as many as I used to). I do exist on fewer calories than I did - but I tend to eat more protein and fat now.

I keep on with the Gliclizade because I take steroids for an autoimmune problem I have. I am being gradually weaned off them, but that it going to take quite a few months yet and they cause a spike in sugar levels in mid afternoon and evening, and my lunch and evening meal is when I take the Gliclizade to counteract the effect.