What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

rayhigginson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rayhigginson it's not everyone's cup of tea but fasting is my way of controlling BG,excepting this time of year I've done ok,I don't eat after evening meal until late morning or early lunchtime next day 16 to 18 hours sometimes longer if I need to. But if you drive for a living you would need to make sure your BG doesn't drop less than 5 or you could have a false hypo, just test throughout your fasting periods if that's the way you take. Is it due to your job you are not always able to eat what you know wouldn't raise your BG? Is this why you cannot get them always within range? K

I’m a vending mc engineer (electrically trained) dealing with all types of fizzy pop sweets chocolate coffee tea pizza ice cream mc’s so at work it’s a nightmare!
I used to not eat at work and just drink a bottle of coke/7up now I have to find food as only drink water or sugar free drinks...............

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I’m a vending mc engineer (electrically trained) dealing with all types of fizzy pop sweets chocolate coffee tea pizza ice cream mc’s so at work it’s a nightmare!
I used to not eat at work and just drink a bottle of coke/7up now I have to find food as only drink water or sugar free drinks...............
That's great ray but if your struggling with your levels ask the questions people will always help you or find someone who can. But it must be difficult when your out and about like you are, so wishing you a better 2018, and please do ask for advice! K

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I know we all aiming for low BG but honestly 3.8 in the middle of the afternoon?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah, endorphins! Those workout highs. I used to fight competitively, and MMA-style competition is a very different beast to traditional Taekwondo, especially if she's looking to try full contact. I started doing that, and although it's good for speed, a lot of the flashy high kicks tend not to work so well in the ring. Especially if the opponent knows the style. If she's going from no-contact or light contact to full contact MMA, the timing and distances are also very different, ie getting closer and punching through your target. There's also more grappling & groundwork in MMA, so I'd recommend Jiu-jitsu, which is also great as a self-defence skill.

@first14808 it was my wife and I that took Tai Kwondo. My daughter’s both were taking Krav Maga. They have done very well as the instructor put them both into the adult class. Both just tested and received their orange belt. They did quite a bit of ground work as well as breaking holds. They also had a 5th Dan Tai Kwondo instructor to help with kicking exercises.
The instructors liked the fact that my youngest (the gymnast) was so flexible and could actually make a head kick on someone standing next to her. She was also called “freakishly strong”
The Krav instructor is an ex pro wrestler and holds nothing back in the language department and I think that’s one reason the kids love him. It’s not the swearing but I think it’s that they see him as not being fake and telling things like they are in the real world.
We have decided to let her try an MMA gym and did tell her that she should at some time expect to get a broken nose or jaw. She seems ok with it.

Reactions: first14808

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have decided to let her try an MMA gym and did tell her that she should at some time expect to get a broken nose or jaw. She seems ok with it.

Heh, a decent gym will train them with head protection, but I think I ended up breaking my nose about 14 times. Admittedly a couple of those were a headbutt from my old dog, and a crafty right paw swipe. But sounds like your girls will do well. I like Krav as a self-defence skill, and sounds like they've got a good instructor. If it's taught too 'nicely', it tends to end up being a lot less useful if it comes to real-world self defence situations.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@rayhigginson just a thought but so called sugarfree drinks are not without sugars in many forms just check the sugar under sorbitol, aspartame etc. it comes in many names but it's still sugar,this could be the culprit of your highs ! If your unsure Google sugar substitutes in fizzy drinks! K

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar free drinks shouldn't really have an effect on your BS as they're not actually sugar. Aspartame is a sugar substitute and Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol which is classed as an alternative sugar but if you are unsure it may pay to test your BS as some of the alternative/substitute sugars do raise BS in some people, thankfully they have no effect on mine as my diet fizzy is one thing I'm not giving up.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar free drinks shouldn't really have an effect on your BS as they're not actually sugar. Aspartame is a sugar substitute and Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol which is classed as an alternative sugar but if you are unsure it may pay to test your BS as some of the alternative/substitute sugars do raise BS in some people, thankfully they have no effect on mine as my diet fizzy is one thing I'm not giving up.
I tested it with diet coke, it will not raise your sugar but i noticed i need a higher correction dosage after 4 hour of meal if i drink diet coke.Maybe it temporary cause insulin resistance.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Be careful sugar free drinks also can fool the brain into believing that real sugar is in the system, thereby creating an insulin response, so if weight is going up this would most likely be the cause.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi everyone
Bg at 2.20am was 6.2
BG at 6.40 am was 6.7
Nothing to eat or drink in between! Ye old liver dump no doubt, it will reduce during morning before I eat at lunchtime not prepared to change anything,except drinks in between!K
No meds.

Last edited: