Reoccurring ketones!

victry77

Hi, wonder if anyone had some advice here. I've been pretty sick this week with a very bad cold. Worst day was Wed, really high temp, very unwell. However, my BG has generally been OK & has not got into double figures. I got a new box of ketostix on Thurs, tested and they were ++ (0.4 - moderate), drank plenty of water and they quickly went - neg reslts for the rest of the day.

However, yesterday, tested first thing and they were back at moderate level. I noticed my muscles felt quite weak (which was how they felt at diagnosis when I had large amounts of ketones present). So, did the water thing again, after approx 5-6hrs they were back to neg and stayed that way for the rest of the evening.

This morning - woke up feeling much better after the bad bout of cold. Morning BG - 4.5, Ketones - neg. However, it's now 2hrs later, started to feel quite weak, muscles feel heavy, tested for ketones again and they are back up to moderate level.

TBH, I have little experience with ketones and can't understand why they keep reoccrring in the morning. Is it just because my body still hasn't recovered from being unwell. Why are they disappearing over the course of the day but coming back the next day? Should I do something about this? Any advice appreciated :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
What have you eaten and drunk the last few days, whilst you've been ill?
Ketones mean you are burning fats . Have you lost weight?
Ketones of themselves need not be a bad sign. They are if combined with high bg, but you don't seem to have that.
If you eat more carb, the ketones are likely to disappear, but then your bg may go up.
If you don't get better soon, make an appointment with your doctor, but I'm guessing it's not too much of a problem. Remember high ketones with high bg is dangerous with low bg need not be.
Hana

victry77

Hi there, thanks.

TBH, my carb intake has been what it would normally be. I have a moderate carb intake and it's stayed the same while I've been ill. I do appear to have lost a couple of lbs, though. I'm a skinny so & so at the best of times and can do without that. My calorie intake has been lower this week due to my appetite not being 100%, but I did wonder if the ketones had seen off the lbs.

Thing is, I'm feeling rather poorly when the ketones are present and then better when they have gone. I just couldn't figure why they're reoccurring, esp, in the mornings. I'm keeping on with the water and rest for today, now, I'll guarantee they'll go again by this afternoon, but I'm a bit worried if they re-appear again tomorrow, make me feel groggy, etc, is it just a wait and see game?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As you are not feeling well you may well continue to get small amounts of Ketones present. Once you are better then the ketones should disappear. Even a minor illness can cause the presence of ketones. Pretty much what you should expect.

As Hana said, high BG (Above 13.9 mmol/l) AND high ketones would need medical attention urgently. That does not appear to be the case here.

Here is a link to our Community pages about Ketones.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html

victry77

Hi, thanks.

Same thing has happened this morning. After I posted yesterday, they vanished within a couple of hours and I felt a lot better, they remained neg for the rest of the day. Now, tested first pee of the morning - neg; but within an hour started to feel really lethargic, tested and they are back up to moderate. Give it a couple of hours I'm sure they will be gone and I will be feeling OK.

Guess, it must be to do with my body still being under stress from not beign well. I do still have a bit of a chesty cough. Think it might be worth taking another couple of days off work, b/c I feel too rotten when the ketones are present to do anything other than lay on the bed.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
So what was your Bg level when the ketones were present this morning ?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I had this with my son not long ago while he was ill. All I could think to do was up his carb intake and insulin to try and stop him burning fat. This actually worked as he was getting ketones in the 1.4 to 1.9 range first thing in the morning even having low bs levels overnight. They were worse in the morning because he hadn't had anything to drink and also sleeping more than usual. I put a teaspoon of glucose powder in a couple of his drinks over a few days. It can be hard to stop ketone production once it starts. It is like the body has flicked a switch and can't turn it off.

Sounds like you are doing a great job looking after yourself while ill.

victry77

Cugila - Morning Bg was 6.6. Really haven't had too much of a problem with levels. They've only hit double figure once (11.1) & I maneged to get them back down very quickly.

Jen, thank you. The annoying thing is that they are actually going.. but then coming back. Just tested 10mins ago and they're down to a "trace", I'm sure it will be neg on the next test, but it's they way they keep reoccurring, really getting on me wick!! So, wonder if upping carb intake will do the trick, then? Might give it a go & see if it helps at all. Like I say, though, I have no ketone production for the brunt of the day, it's just within about an hour of waking up and then for an hour or two after that, then it goes away :? Flippin' nuisance :evil:

Thanks all!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You may have to get up during the night.....however, I would drink a glass of pure water before going to bed during times of ketones.

victry77

Hi, thanks, yeah I will do that tonight. First pee of the morning is always neg but then next one has acquired the ketones. Still, they didn't last long today. Had a little sleep this savvy and have felt a lot better this evening.

Still have that extra day off work though, just to make sure I'm 100% :wink:

jillybean465

Dislikes
being a diabete
hi, hope ur doing ok, ketones r a pain lol its true tho ur body will still be recoving from the flu, ketones can appear and disappear sometimes without u really knowing, my doctor always told be coz u have ketones doesnt allways mean that something is wrong or that uve done something wrong, its just ur body dealing with different things.
hope they disappear soon for u x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Yeah, that was the same with my son. The ketones would show up all of a sudden and then go down or disappear for the day. It was annoying when bs levels were quite good and still having ketone problems. I must admit that other times when Khaleb has been sick and he's had good bs levels that I haven't even bothered to check for ketones - maybe I will be more diligent in the future. I use my meter to check blood ketones rather than pee testing. It is much more accurate.

Glad you are feeling somewhat better and on the improve.

victry77

Thanks Jillybean & Jen :) Yeah feeling a lot better today. I gave my DSN a quick ring in regards to this (as ketones did their re-appearing act again this morning), she wasn't in but I spoke to lovely male nurse who said this was totally normal and harmless considering I'd not been well. And it's common for it it happen within the first pee or two of the day - so basically what you said Jilly.

Jen - yeah it's the exact same thing as what was happening with your boy. I'm the same, though, I haven't really tested before for ketones when sick, but I wouldn't really say I'd had any proper episodes of illness since dx, just snuffly colds, etc. But I did really feel horrendous last week.

Anyway, on the mend, hopefully those ketones will be shuffling off very soon. Thanks for the help folks, very much appreciated :D