Meter and no meds vs no meter and meds

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The same for my mother in law - died at 72 for vascular incident, lowest number of BG 8. It was one year before I was diagnosed - If I would know the same as today, I could do something about that - she was very cooperative beacause she liked to live. :grumpy:
My mum only lived 6 months after diagnosis and died of a major stroke after a horrendous gum infection which went on for weeks and wouldnt clear up. She was given a meter but had no dietary advice or follow ups whatsoever. My parents were in awe of their doctor and treated him like a God. Nothing would have persuaded them to question him. When I was diagnosed, my doctor who I have a good relationship with actually suggested I research and inform myself. I think she was allowing me to discover Low Carb regimes. I think what I am trying to say about your friend is that some people we care about will dismiss anything that doesnt come from the doctor.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All you can do is give him your own advice and suggest he does some research himself on sites such as these. I have colleagues who have type 2 diabetes and just take their meds and carry on eating whatever they want. Most don't test even tho some of them have had free testing strips ( this seems to differ from practice to practice mine supplied me with a meter but no strips ) I buy my own and without testing I wouldn't have a clue how high my BG is because I don't feel ill or thirsty or tired .
I did tell her how beneficial this site is. Thats what i think, without testing you havent got a clue as to how well your body is dealing with the glucose! To me its essential.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum only lived 6 months after diagnosis and died of a major stroke after a horrendous gum infection which went on for weeks and wouldnt clear up. She was given a meter but had no dietary advice or follow ups whatsoever. My parents were in awe of their doctor and treated him like a God. Nothing would have persuaded them to question him. When I was diagnosed, my doctor who I have a good relationship with actually suggested I research and inform myself. I think she was allowing me to discover Low Carb regimes. I think what I am trying to say about your friend is that some people we care about will dismiss anything that doesnt come from the doctor.
Im very sorry to hear that about your mum. Many didnt and still dont question drs. You sound like you have got a dr with their finger on the pulse (quite an apt expression in this case !). Im about to email my friend and confirm some of my latest readings that i am more than happy with. Give some subtle food for thought.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im very sorry to hear that about your mum. Many didnt and still dont question drs. You sound like you have got a dr with their finger on the pulse (quite an apt expression in this case !). Im about to email my friend and confirm some of my latest readings that i am more than happy with. Give some subtle food for thought.
Thank you. You can only try. You can take the horse to the water....etc.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes and that wont be done for months. I have even unvested in a home hba1c testing kit so i can track it more frequently that the dr will.

Is that an A1CNow kit? I’ve looked at them but it seems really wasteful that you can’t buy just the ‘strips’ you have to buy a new monitor each time to get either 2 or 10 tests, I think it is. I had my last HbA1c last month and my next one is now not til August. Let us know how you get on with the kit you have will you please. I’m still in two minds about it.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im so sorry to hear that about your
Is that an A1CNow kit? I’ve looked at them but it seems really wasteful that you can’t buy just the ‘strips’ you have to buy a new monitor each time to get either 2 or 10 tests, I think it is. I had my last HbA1c last month and my next one is now not til August. Let us know how you get on with the kit you have will you please. I’m still in two minds about it.
yes thats the one. I got it off ebay. £120 for 10 tests. Im not sure how accurate they are to be honest but it is showing my levels ciming diwn from drs reading of 47 to mine at 45 and latest of 42 so im hoping its accurate and feel it is. Its a lot of money but im quite low maintenance in other areas and splashed out!!! Each test has its own monitor so there are 10 monitors in total. Ive also bought a cholestrol testing kit for £40 but not yet used it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im so sorry to hear that about your

yes thats the one. I got it off ebay. £120 for 10 tests. Im not sure how accurate they are to be honest but it is showing my levels ciming diwn from drs reading of 47 to mine at 45 and latest of 42 so im hoping its accurate and feel it is. Its a lot of money but im quite low maintenance in other areas and splashed out!!! Each test has its own monitor so there are 10 monitors in total. Ive also bought a cholestrol testing kit for £40 but not yet used it.

I assume the tests (or even the monitor) have expiry dates. If you get 10 tests and you want to test every three months will they last?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume the tests (or even the monitor) have expiry dates. If you get 10 tests and you want to test every three months will they last?
I will check that out tomorrow. My pack is downstairs and I'm in bed reading my posts. Will let you know asap.

Reactions: rom35 and Rachox

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
It is easy to follow doc’s orders when it means just popping the odd pill and not changing anything else.
And many, many people take that route, for many reasons.

You are to be congratulated for doing the research to educate yourself to help your own health.

If taken consistently, Metformin takes a couple of weeks to build up in the system to be effective. So I hope he is taking them regularly.

Once at an effective dose, it lowers blood glucose a little.
It does not iron out spikes.
It does reduce liver dumps a bit.
It does not stop a rise after meals.

Efficacy does, of course depend on the person and the dose.

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/
I too was told by my Doctor to not bother testing myself, and was given metformin slow release, but after visiting this website I ordered a TEE meter and strips and needles, and now I can see what spikes me and what doesnt, been on a low (50g) a day "diet" I still drink red wine and enjoy my meats and eggs, chicken and fish lost nearly a stone in weight in about 6 weeks, BG levels are now good??? as I know what to eat. Started out at 13-20 now even out to 5.5- 10, I spike to the 15 if I eat bread, rolls etc. but I can control this now, by checking with the meter. Mine was free meter but I pay for strips and needles, just had blood test fasting and a relief not being called back to the quacks, (like previously). Only you can decide what to do, but this forum helps to make informed decisions. Good luck.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am impressed by this kit, just got 2 x 20 packs for my wife's business, myself, friends and family. Next month I will post how close the results are to my surgery's lab.

Reactions: Brihtric

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am impressed by this kit, just got 2 x 20 packs for my wife's business, myself, friends and family. Next month I will post how close the results are to my surgery's lab.
Let us know how your results compare to lab results please. Although I have to say MySugr is a cheaper way to keep tabs on my HbA1c between lab tests!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez cAn totally understand how you feel about knowing exactly what will help you manage your condition and seeing someone you care about refusing to listen to you. And as you say it’s all made much harder by the fact that what we are doing isn’t usually accepted by our gps!
My mum who is 87 has had diabetes since her late 60s and has always been incredibly proud of following her drs healthy eating high carb low fat advice and credits it and her daily Metformin with keeping her hbaca1 at a low level usually at 42 - 45. But surprise suprise her kidneys are slowly and steadily packing up and she keeps getting UTIs. Her favourite foods include, crumpets, tea cakes, potatoes and toast which she thinks the met deals with but clearly damaging spikes go on in the background causing damage. And of course she dosent test.
Initially when first diagnosed I started to go down the same road but then woke up and found this amazing forum plus diet doctor and started reading the research what a revelation! My kidneys at moment are fine and I intend to keep them that way unfortunately mum thinks I’ve gone officially nutty “what does your dr think” and why would I not take Metformin and eat all the stuff that she believes life is too short to miss out on? It’s a real shame as I think it’s affected our relationship she thinks I’m too thin and just don’t eat healthily and ironically believes I’m heart attack material eating all my fats despite my thinness! Many people believe that the Atkins diet causes heart attacks and think that this is what lCHF is.
I suppose what I’m saying is that you need to be ready to listen and quite resilient to tough it out - going against official advice and the disapproval of family and friends who just don’t get it despite your health and well-being being so improved. A close friend just the other day said she was worried about me and what did my gp think and many others are just clearly bored by my new Life obsession! Meanwhile I’m just thankful that I had my light bulb moment and feel so well.

Reactions: kokhongw

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez cAn totally understand how you feel about knowing exactly what will help you manage your condition and seeing someone you care about refusing to listen to you. And as you say it’s all made much harder by the fact that what we are doing isn’t usually accepted by our gps!
My mum who is 87 has had diabetes since her late 60s and has always been incredibly proud of following her drs healthy eating high carb low fat advice and credits it and her daily Metformin with keeping her hbaca1 at a low level usually at 42 - 45. But surprise suprise her kidneys are slowly and steadily packing up and she keeps getting UTIs. Her favourite foods include, crumpets, tea cakes, potatoes and toast which she thinks the met deals with but clearly damaging spikes go on in the background causing damage. And of course she dosent test.
Initially when first diagnosed I started to go down the same road but then woke up and found this amazing forum plus diet doctor and started reading the research what a revelation! My kidneys at moment are fine and I intend to keep them that way unfortunately mum thinks I’ve gone officially nutty “what does your dr think” and why would I not take Metformin and eat all the stuff that she believes life is too short to miss out on? It’s a real shame as I think it’s affected our relationship she thinks I’m too thin and just don’t eat healthily and ironically believes I’m heart attack material eating all my fats despite my thinness! Many people believe that the Atkins diet causes heart attacks and think that this is what lCHF is.
I suppose what I’m saying is that you need to be ready to listen and quite resilient to tough it out - going against official advice and the disapproval of family and friends who just don’t get it despite your health and well-being being so improved. A close friend just the other day said she was worried about me and what did my gp think and many others are just clearly bored by my new Life obsession! Meanwhile I’m just thankful that I had my light bulb moment and feel so well.
Thanks @shelley262 for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you choosing the LCHF way of life as oppose the way your mum chose is coming between you and your mum.im behind you all the way. From what I've read, what I've been able to do, how I'm feeling in myself and what is reflecting in my hba1c I know our way is the way forward. Let's hope it catches on. I'm going to carry on doing what I'm doing. You are doing really well on it too. Having this forum to turn to and fellow diabetics to talk to has been a god send. Thank you again for your reply.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Let us know how your results compare to lab results please. Although I have to say MySugr is a cheaper way to keep tabs on my HbA1c between lab tests!
Will do, my test last month on this device was 34 mmol or 5.3%, I would settle for that as I have been testing foods in the last few weeks.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you eat with them again perhaps you should take your meter and offer him a go with it - he might get quite a shock

That is if you want his results on your records.

My main meter is now a codefree. The original one was a GlucoRx Nexus for which I get 50 strips every 4 months ( if I ask nicely).
I was only given the meter as I started at 22 mmol/l and was on Glicaside.

I therefore had to supplement my Nexus strips from the supplier.

They do a small meter kit that clips to the strips pot for the same price as the pot of strips.

So I have a few spares.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Organ meat.
Hi All, I'm new here and have come to this thread because I wanted to understand the benefits of regular testing, especially when first diagnosed (9/3/2018). I started by testing the Fasting Blood Glucose (FBG) on a daily basis, but realised I needed to do more to understand what was going on throughout the day, after exercise and eating. I am on a very low carb diet, only getting carbs from above ground vegetable and have managed to get the FBG down from 19.4 to an average of 7. I realise of course that the reduction is going to slow down the closer I get to a 'normal' target but I was wondering how many times people test a day? My fingers are getting sore...:arghh:
This has been a very interesting thread and I agree that this diet control of diabetes can only work if a person wants it to work.

Reactions: Brunneria

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, I'm new here and have come to this thread because I wanted to understand the benefits of regular testing, especially when first diagnosed (9/3/2018). I started by testing the Fasting Blood Glucose (FBG) on a daily basis, but realised I needed to do more to understand what was going on throughout the day, after exercise and eating. I am on a very low carb diet, only getting carbs from above ground vegetable and have managed to get the FBG down from 19.4 to an average of 7. I realise of course that the reduction is going to slow down the closer I get to a 'normal' target but I was wondering how many times people test a day? My fingers are getting sore...:arghh:
This has been a very interesting thread and I agree that this diet control of diabetes can only work if a person wants it to work.

Hi Michèle and welcome, well done on getting your readings down already. When I was first diagnosed I tested on waking, before and after each meal and at bedtime. As time has gone by, it’s been over ten months for me now, I’ve reduced it to before and after breakfast and dinner. I repeat a lot of meals so no need to test them regularly. As for sore fingers, are you pricking the edge of your finger rather than the middle, most people find this less sore.
I’ll tag in @daisy1 incase you haven’t seen her welcome info.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Organ meat.
Hi Michèle and welcome, well done on getting your readings down already. When I was first diagnosed I tested on waking, before and after each meal and at bedtime. As time has gone by, it’s been over ten months for me now, I’ve reduced it to before and after breakfast and dinner. I repeat a lot of meals so no need to test them regularly. As for sore fingers, are you pricking the edge of your finger rather than the middle, most people find this less sore.
I’ll tag in @daisy1 incase you haven’t seen her welcome info.
Thanks Rachox for your information. OK that is encouraging, like you I tend to repeat meals so eventually I hopefully will be able to test less frequently. It all seems a bit eratic at the moment sometime blood sugar goes down when I test 2 hours post a meal... but I expect it will settle down after a while. I do prick my fingers on the side but as I am testing after each meal I am finding it difficult to find fingers that have not been punctured too recently. I tend to avoid thumb and forefinger as I use them quite a lot in the craft work I do...
I like your progress information, that is very helpful, I'll investigate and do that for myself.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Debandez

Hello Debandez et al and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Debandez