Salted peanuts

Jules_Rules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, does anyone else notice a rise in blood sugars after eating peanuts? . I've always thought this food was carb free

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco salted peanuts = Carbohydrate 10.6g per 100 grams .. not a carb free food .. think the KP numbers are lower
unsalted peanuts = Carbohydrate 5.7g
When I was low carb they would raise my sugars .. but I am T2 not T1 like you are

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They raise my bg and stall my weight loss if I have more than a small handful, I avoid them in the Main as salty foods trigger my carb cravings also

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, does anyone else notice a rise in blood sugars after eating peanuts? . I've always thought this food was carb free

Small amounts of peanuts are usually ok, as are all nuts in small amounts, but once you have more than a small amount eg in a recipe or if you eat a whole bag, you may need to Bolus for them.

Peanut butter is the same.

So the 'free-ness' is only for small amounts.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some reason peanuts raise me more than any other nut and create big cravings for more. I'm much better with a few Macs or pumpkin seeds and much easier for me to moderate. They are higher in carbs than some other nuts, cashews to though technically they are both legumes, not nuts.

Reactions: azure

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Salted peanuts are guaranteed to raise my levels for 8-15 hours after eating just a tiny pack. Walnuts ok for me..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh yes, nut butters too!!
Same reaction.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts are not true nuts they are in fact Legumes. Beans, Peas & Lentils are also Legumes.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Peanuts make me high, too. I love them though. My favourite snack foods are hardboiled eggs and cheese, but less often I will treat myself to some peanuts, and I make sure I bolus insulin for them, unless I'm using them to stall a dropping blood sugar. Otherwise the spike can last for ages!

:)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to eat peanuts the regular KP ones are about the lowest carb level I've found. I can eat around 50g as a snack (around 5.5g carbs I think) and it has no effect on my BG.

J19821

I’m T2 and on a low carb diet for 3 weeks. I had a very high spike in my fbs after eating just 30 grams of salted peanuts as a snack last night. I’ve thrown the rest in the dustbin!

I’ve learned that there can be few generalizations for diabetics- basmati rice and dates may be high carb but do not spike my bs.

Reactions: Runica
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I still have to take insulin for nuts, I had some cashew's with my dinner last night, about 30 grams and BS was good last night and this morning. The peanuts in the cupboard are next but nuts are so moreish, so I have to be careful and I only eat nuts occasionally.