Do you still enjoy food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not intending to give it up I am just saying I would love to be able to still eat the things I enjoyed before diabetes

That is not the same thing as being bored. You seem to be going through a craving phase, whether you are conscious of this or not. Do you plan treats as part of your low carb way of eating? Perhaps you could try adding a special treat occasionally.

I would love to eat some of the things I used to eat. A big fat chip butty, dripping in butter, springs to mind. But that doesn't mean to say I am bored with my current food choices. Far from it.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've just read through the whole of this thread from start, thanks @Pinkorchid for the initial question. It's very interesting that there aren't any/many contributions from T1s. Anyway, to answer your question, nope I love the food I eat and I suppose I'm lucky that I never ate that many carbs anyway. I was never a big fan of pizza. I remember once at the end of a course, the trainees suggested a meal. I was fine with that but I was incredibly surprised that everyone wanted to eat a whole pizza for themselves. I just wanted a slice. This was even before T1.

So I don't miss that about eating out. In fact, I've always cooked from scratch even when I was working full time so there's only been a slight change in what I cook. I've never rushed cooking and never ever eating it. True, I don't eat pasta or rice anymore but I will on the very very rare occasion have a roastie or half a yorkshire and yes a little piece of bread. The amount is so small it does nothing to my BG and it makes me feel happy. I still eat chocolate but in such tiny quantities BG does zero. It also means that I eat happy and don't have to do a bolus of insulin. Do I feel bad about not being able to eat a whole Mars bar? Nope, As someone said, things aren't always as good as you remember them. I do miss my elderflower cider but my life is worth more to me than the 6 bottles I've got in the pantry.
I don't think the way I eat is any more expensive than before T1 and it's certainly as exciting and varied as ever. I've just discovered Szechuan pepper corns. I started off trying the weird stuff suggested on Dietdoctor and most of it didn't work. I'm not a big fan of cauli rice, I prefer cauliflower whole baked like a tandoori chicken in yoghurt and spice.

I feel really lucky that I don't have any allergies and big hugs to anyone who does. I eat well, lots of fish, eggs, meat and cheese and veggies. I do wish though I could eat fruit. I think in a previous incarnation I was a fruit bat. I could eat my way through a bag of cherries no problem but as someone said.... you either eat to stay healthy or not.

I've rambled on but do hope I answered what you first posted @Pinkorchid
On the menu tonight, Szechuan salt and pepper squid with spring onions and mushrooms:)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can many people say they really would not like to eat a proper pizza, a pasta dish or real rice with their curry instead of cauliflower rice substitute or even a really yummy dessert instead of plain greek yogurt and a few berries
I am not sure if you are serious (think John Mackinroe)- really 'proper pizza'? a wodge of bread with some nasty almost like cheese, some who knows what else and red sauce. Yech - pasta? Bleagh. 'Real' rice? Bring on the fantasy veges, please.
As for yummy dessert - you mean those sickly sweet stodges which make me feel that I have been hit in the midriff and need to lie down?
Yes - me - I really do not want 'normal' food, if that is what normal means.

Reactions: Dodo

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I have tried some things and know what I could eat occasionally. What I miss is not bad food it is normal food that most non diabetic people eat daily just not good for me any more
I understand what you are saying.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid - Have you considered having one "normal" day a week, month or whatever you do "normal"? Like a 5:2 diet, but you set the proportions.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure if you are serious (think John Mackinroe)- really 'proper pizza'? a wodge of bread with some nasty almost like cheese, some who knows what else and red sauce. Yech - pasta? Bleagh. 'Real' rice? Bring on the fantasy veges, please.
As for yummy dessert - you mean those sickly sweet stodges which make me feel that I have been hit in the midriff and need to lie down?
Yes - me - I really do not want 'normal' food, if that is what normal means.
If your idea of pasta is spaghetti hoops and the pizza comes from Domino's then I agree with you but the real thing can be excellent. I did indulge once or twice on a recent holiday in Italy, and it was the best thing I have had for ages.
Pasta.jpg

Reactions: Pipp and kev-w

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my husband makes pasta and pizza from scratch. The base and the past is a completely different texture to the processed shop ones.

Reactions: zand

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do wish though I could eat fruit

Sue, you're T1, so you have considerably more latitude in food choices than T2s, and that includes fruit.

I can understand completely why T2s adopt lchf and avoid fruit, but T1 biology is fundamentally different. There is no reason at all why T1s can't eat moderate amounts of fruit.

With T1, it needn't be a case of avoiding or minimising carbs (although that is a viable option for those who choose it).

It's more a case of managing absorption of carbs over time. That involves matching insulin time patterns with carb absorption rates.

That's a fancy way of saying learning how to figure out how to mix and match the interplay between simple and complex carbs and fats and protein in relationship to insulin amounts and timing.

If you go down the Bernstein route of, "no fruit except avocados", fine, that's your choice.

But if you're already expressing regret about not eating fruit so early in your T1 life, it seems to me that you're needlesly denying yourself something you want.

I'm not a low carber. I pay attention to what I eat, I think about the timing, the combinations, and I'm not slow to do a post-prandial correction if I think it's needed.

That way, I'll regularly scoof down some figs, cherries, melon, kiwi fruit, mango, raspberries, strawberries etc. after a meal as desert.

These don't send me on a savage spike, for the simple reason that the absorption of the simpler carbs in the fruit has been buffered by coming at the end of the meal.

I pay no attention at all to material about how fructose is only processed in the liver. That is of no relevance to T1.

I pay no attention to the meme that carbohydrates are not needed to survive. I prefer the view that fruit has undeniable nutrional value in terms of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and the plain fact that it's just pretty darned tasty to eat, so adds to my enjoyment of life.

I can understand why T2s avoid fruit. If you as a T1 want to eat fruit, there's no reason at all why you shouldn't.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found it interesting reading these posts. Personally, I eat far fewer carbs than I used to (easier to manage the insulin dosage) but feel so lucky in that I am able to (now and again) have a big, fat roast dinner or homemade pie with pastry. If you take away any pro & cons for type 1 against type 2, I am so lucky to be able to instantly combat a glucose rise by the use of an extra unit or two of insulin, it keeps me sane once or twice a month. I eat around 60 carbs a day usually which enables me to have a slice of toast or bowl of porridge, I know I could do all this at any time but I prefer to keep things lowish carb. I can go out for the odd meal and not have to worry about high glucose just sitting there for hours like some type 2's. If I was type 2, I would agree wholeheartedly with the OP, I would miss certain foods even though there are plenty of low carb ones. I admire all those type 2's doing it on diet alone, the willpower is amazing and if they baulk now and again, well I for one do not blame them. I definitely don't avoid things that I like because as Scott says, I don't need to but I no longer eat crisps or any obvious rubbish...do I miss some foods, yes, a big bag of cheese & onion crisps. (I know I could bolus for it but I HATE bolusing for rubbish!!).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I admire all those type 2's doing it on diet alone, the willpower is amazing

Pretty easy when you know you can loose a foot or your eyesight.. as a wise man once said "I prefer toes to french fries.." plus low carb food is regular food with all the stodge removed..what could be nicer?

Reactions: Pipp

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally enjoy my food very much but I do go through the odd food funk where I just can't seem to get inspired. I'm currently on a bit of a nutrient density bender (thanks to Marty Kendall) so am enjoying trying new things & new ways of preparing them - a 'food treat' for me these days is not having sardines for a week :) As to convenience - I food prep on Saturday mornings by cooking/portioning various meaty things to freeze & prepping salad veg so all I have to do is make an interesting dressing during the week & I'm good to go. I've always been a keen cook so I imagine that helps a lot.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sue, you're T1, so you have considerably more latitude in food choices than T2s, and that includes fruit.

I can understand completely why T2s adopt lchf and avoid fruit, but T1 biology is fundamentally different. There is no reason at all why T1s can't eat moderate amounts of fruit.

With T1, it needn't be a case of avoiding or minimising carbs (although that is a viable option for those who choose it).

It's more a case of managing absorption of carbs over time. That involves matching insulin time patterns with carb absorption rates.

That's a fancy way of saying learning how to figure out how to mix and match the interplay between simple and complex carbs and fats and protein in relationship to insulin amounts and timing.

If you go down the Bernstein route of, "no fruit except avocados", fine, that's your choice.

But if you're already expressing regret about not eating fruit so early in your T1 life, it seems to me that you're needlesly denying yourself something you want.

I'm not a low carber. I pay attention to what I eat, I think about the timing, the combinations, and I'm not slow to do a post-prandial correction if I think it's needed.

That way, I'll regularly scoof down some figs, cherries, melon, kiwi fruit, mango, raspberries, strawberries etc. after a meal as desert.

These don't send me on a savage spike, for the simple reason that the absorption of the simpler carbs in the fruit has been buffered by coming at the end of the meal.

I pay no attention at all to material about how fructose is only processed in the liver. That is of no relevance to T1.

I pay no attention to the meme that carbohydrates are not needed to survive. I prefer the view that fruit has undeniable nutrional value in terms of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and the plain fact that it's just pretty darned tasty to eat, so adds to my enjoyment of life.

I can understand why T2s avoid fruit. If you as a T1 want to eat fruit, there's no reason at all why you shouldn't.
Hi, I think you might have just derailed the thread @Scott-C perhaps this might be better as a new one about food choices and the difficulties faced by both T1 and T2s. Think that might be interesting as you've raised things I wasn't aware of and would like to read up on.:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I confess to missing fruit. I don't miss the carbs. Both were what I was advised, by the diabetes nurse, to eat in higher quantity than high fat foods.
I don't get bored with the food I eat, but sometimes lose appetite, or get bored with the notion that we are supposed to eat at certain times, even if not hungry. That I attribute to other health problems, and perhaps my body 'telling me' that I don't particularly need to consume much at that particular time.

The social aspect of eating doesn't really bother me either. If friends I am out with want to eat or drink what I wouldn't have chosen, then I let them get on with it. I don't have to follow the crowd.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

BB, I noticed the thread title, thought I'd have a look, decided it was a T2 thread, so thought I'll not get involved.

Sue then posted about how she was wondering why there's been no T1 input, then mentioned she's missing fruit.

So, I thought I'd offer my views on the fruit issue. That's the only reason I'm posting on this thread.

I honestly wish I hadn't bothered.

You can post me as many links as you want trying to convince me that fruit is evil. All I can say is that as a T1 who has been doing this for 3 decades, and currently running an a1c of 28 on last hospital measurement, and xdrip predicting about 33, median 5.48, rsd 28.7%, there's definitely a place for T1s scoofing down some fruit if they want to without running any real risk of harm. On the contrary, it has many benefits.

Reactions: EllsKBells

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I think you might have just derailed the thread @Scott-C perhaps this might be better as a new one about food choices and the difficulties faced by both T1 and T2s. Think that might be interesting as you've raised things I wasn't aware of and would like to read up on.:)

Nope, sorry, Sue, I don't think I've derailed the thread. You wondered why there had been no T1 input, then went on to express views about missing fruit, so I offered a T1 view on fruit.

When I first noticed the thread title, I had a look out of interest, decided it was a T2 thread, so decided not to post. The only reason I eventually did so was when you commented on why there has been no T1 input, then mentioned your avoiding fruit. I'm failing to understand how me as a T1 commenting on a fruit issue raised by another T1 who has wondered about why no T1s are contributing can possibly be regarded as derailing.

M

Member496333

Yup. I enjoy food now more than I ever did. An abundance of scrumptious and nutritionally dense ingredients with which to experiment making new and tasty dishes. Eating for me now is far more interesting, and I feel way more connected to nature. Wouldn’t ever go back even if there wasn’t such a thing as diabetes.

I can imagine it may get a bit tiresome if you’re looking for low-carb ready-prepared meals and snacks, but optimal dietary ketosis is about making your own food from 100% real ingredients. The possibilities of new dishes and flavours are almost limitless. For me it’s the opposite of boring :D

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Great post. I am type 1.5 but not yet on insulin just gliclazide and hoping to stave off insulin as Long as I can. I do find that I can eat fruit, it doesn't spike me at all as long as I eat it in the evenings. Initially diagnosed as t2 and trying to very low carb, I absolutely craved fruit, especially oranges. It was so hard to resist. Now my body, albeit with the help of a tablet, produces sufficient insulin again there is no reason to deny myself fruit any longer. I am once again back to what I consider to be a balanced diet, and happy to be getting all those valuable vitamins and minerals from the fruit I eat. My favourite way of getting them!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do enjoy most of the food I have at home, otherwise I wouldn't prepare it! What I find difficult are social meal occasions, or cake days at work. I HATE not being able to join in. We are going to the cinema for our works Christmas do then going for a meal - I won't be doing the meal....... I have afternoon tea at work on Tuesday and I just know there won't be anything I can eat or drink. That's when I don't enjoy having to eat low carb - it's the coping with 'normal events' and 'social expectations' where I won't be catered for.

Reactions: briped
Status
Not open for further replies.