Do you still enjoy food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we can see from this thread how defensive some people can be about food and their diet. It was nothing to do with what people eat now we all hope low carb will help to keep complications at bay thats why we do it. It was a simple question does anyone here find the low carb diet somewhat boring and do they miss any foods they used to enjoy before diabetes . I am not ashamed to say I do find low carb boring at times and I do miss some of the things I used to enjoy eating I am only human

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes I wonder if some people on this forum who are such enthusiastic converts to low carb, fasting, carnivorous diets etc are really trying to reassure themselves rather than convince anyone else.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a big fruit eater loved it all and giving that up was hard. I ate greek yogurt and berries for months after diabetes diagnosis until I was sick of them and I never touch them now
But there's other ways you can eat them - try creme fraiche or clotted cream instead of yoghurt; make low carb cheesecake to eat with strawberries; blueberries go nicely in microwaved muffins; you can make low carb crumble toppings for baked blackberry and apple, and I think it was @Brunneria who whizzed up frozen berries and double cream to make an instant ice cream...

choc_cheesecake.jpg

Choccy cheesecake and strawberries - one of my early low carb puddings... But I'm a bit lazier now!

Robbity

M

Member496333

Sometimes I wonder if some people on this forum who are such enthusiastic converts to low carb, fasting, carnivorous diets etc are really trying to reassure themselves rather than convince anyone else.

I think mostly people are just enthusiastic that they have regained good health, and wish to share their experience so that it may help others find similar relief from their diabetes. I don’t think it’s about trying to convince anyone of anything. That’s my view at least :)

M

Member496333

I think we can see from this thread how defensive some people can be about food and their diet. It was nothing to do with what people eat now we all hope low carb will help to keep complications at bay thats why we do it. It was a simple question does anyone here find the low carb diet somewhat boring and do they miss any foods they used to enjoy before diabetes . I am not ashamed to say I do find low carb boring at times and I do miss some of the things I used to enjoy eating I am only human

Surely people are just answering your questions?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a simple question does anyone here find the low carb diet somewhat boring and do they miss any foods they used to enjoy before diabetes .

Sorry but that was not the question you asked in your title...
Had it been you may have got some different answers (although not from me)...
I really don't see any defensive people.. just plenty sharing the experience that a dietary change has in fact expanded their food horizons and led to them eating a more varied diet. That may not have been the answer you wanted to hear but for myself as one and I think for many others that's the truth..

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but that was not the question you asked in your title...
Had it been you may have got some different answers (although not from me)...
I really don't see any defensive people.. just plenty sharing the experience that a dietary change has in fact expanded their food horizons and led to them eating a more varied diet. That may not have been the answer you wanted to hear but for myself as one and I think for many others that's the truth..
I thought the question asked at the outset was pretty clear

“ We often hear members saying how much they enjoy their low carb diet but does that go for everyone who does low carb higher fat. Am I the only one who has found the low carb diet so boring that is has taken the pleasure out of food? “

The question being answered was often not quite so cleat

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought the question asked at the outset was pretty clear

“ We often hear members saying how much they enjoy their low carb diet but does that go for everyone who does low carb higher fat. Am I the only one who has found the low carb diet so boring that is has taken the pleasure out of food? “

The question being answered was often not quite so cleat

Title was

"Do you still enjoy food"

and even though badly punctuated..
This was certainly the question I answered..

Reactions: Krystyna23040

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey, seems like my mentioning that I wish I could eat fruit seems to have irked some people and I'm sorry if that's the case. Perhaps what I should have said is I wish I could eat MORE fruit. I could eat fruit until my belly burst but I won't because I don't want to get fat and I don't want to have to inject insulin to compensate for my greed. I'm not demonising fruit, I eat fruit but not so much. I also eat roasties and yorkshires and bread but rarely and when I do in moderation.
I noticed the question first posed by @Pinkorchid and didn't even think it was just for T2s and as it was about low carb I thought I'd join in. I wish I hadn't bothered because I thought I was adding personal stuff which might be fun/informative to others. I actually feel quite sad at the way I've been preached at it's like being attacked.
I realise a little more from reading this thread how the eating habits of T1 and T2s are different yet very similar, thanks again @Pinkorchid for raising the question
I found your posts informative, thanks.

M

Member496333

To be fair, regardless of the topic title or the semantics of the question asked, it should be fairly self evident that if you invite people to discuss low carb diets, they’re going to discuss low carb diets. You don’t get to choose the answers once you’ve lit the fuse, as it were. Accusations of people being defensive, or of trying to convince others to adopt the same lifestyle are just a matter of one’s own perspective.

:)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a very big difference between saying we miss our favourite food groups, and saying we dont care about our health.

An achoholic can say they miss whisky and find drinking tea boring, for example, without getting off the wagon or getting negative comments about saying they miss something.

Nothing wrong with saying we miss foods, for some of us the enjoyment we got from food is greater than for others.

Speaking personally, I have to watch how much fat I eat, otherwise I put on weight again. Some people do not. I do. So the yummy cream and lashings of butter and cheese option is not there for me either. I have to both low carb and count calories.

I am not moaning, It is what is it. I am sharing both my experience, and another reason why low carbing can be boring for some of us.

We are all different.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love my meals.
I enjoy the foods I get to make those meals with.
I am never bored with my meals.
I make meals from scratch, and I love my cooking.
I have been known to dance from the sheer pleasure of eating my LCHF meals.
If I have to say so myself so be it - my cooking skills are gourmet level , possibly even better.
My dressings are to die for. My sauces could start a break out of peace between Russia and Ukraine
My roasts could give Mrs May a clue, on how to deal with Brexit (sue me I used the B word)
I could eat a different meal every day till I die at age 107, fifty years from now, and never have to repeat an entrée.
Eating is an adventure. I cook recipes from any and every culture on earth.
Eating is so much pleasure. I look forward to each and every meal. day in, day out.

M

Member496333

I love my meals.
I enjoy the foods I get to make those meals with.
I am never bored with my meals.
I make meals from scratch, and I love my cooking.
I have been known to dance from the sheer pleasure of eating my LCHF meals.
If I have to say so myself so be it - my cooking skills are gourmet level , possibly even better.
My dressings are to die for. My sauces could start a break out of peace between Russia and Ukraine
My roasts could give Mrs May a clue, on how to deal with Brexit (sue me I used the B word)
I could eat a different meal every day till I die at age 107, fifty years from now, and never have to repeat an entrée.
Eating is an adventure. I cook recipes from any and every culture on earth.
Eating is so much pleasure. I look forward to each and every meal. day in, day out.

I’m with you. It seems an alien notion to me now that meals must be based around carbohydrate. But that is not to say I am judging those with a different view! ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems an alien notion to me now that meals must be based around carbohydrate.
There must be a lot of aliens as carbohydrates form the staple diet of most people in the world. This is a diabetic forum and reducing carbohydrates helps many people to control their blood glucose, but it is not a choice available to most people in the world or indeed a necessity if they are not diabetic.

M

Member496333

There must be a lot of aliens as carbohydrates form the staple diet of most people in the world. This is a diabetic forum and reducing carbohydrates helps many people to control their blood glucose, but it is not a choice available to most people in the world or indeed a necessity if they are not diabetic.

Alien to me :)

And you missed out the last sentence from the quote, inexplicably ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is not a choice available to most people in the world
?
It is a choice available to everyone... the problem is the lack of knowledge of that choice which is why some of us try to educate others..

Status
Not open for further replies.