What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree this is a friendly/supportive thread @PenguinMum and @West335. I haven't tested for about 3 months and am likely to start tomorrow. Have sorted the early waking but think testing will subconsciously make me wake earlier/not try to go back to sleep just to get a pre D/P fbg. Also a bit wary about any of the information being useful as I think I am pretty much as LC and IF as I can go. Actually feel far more unsure about this than I did when I started.
@AngiH sorry for your loss

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Forgot my FBG test. Sun is shining, birds are singing, so couldn't wait for my brisk exercise walk to the paper shop, 1.5 miles. Then had breakfast of Greek yoghurt with chopped nuts and blueberries, plus fresh coffee. Tested BG at 9.7 after one hour. Not sure if this is significant, so will test again pre-lunch.

Later edit: BG 6.9 after another 2 hours. Situation normal for me. Don't think I will be hitting the fives without several weeks of LCHF diet and weight loss, but Rome wasn't built in a day!

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Every day over the past week my bg has been OK at bed time and then I've woken with fasting bg in double figures - the highest on Wednesday being 11.4. After the (carb saturated) Saturday night takeaway I'd expected this morning's levels to be bad but only 6.4! I don't get it, I just don't:banghead:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this cold morning. It's 5 degrees outside and management has already switched the H/C system over from heat to air conditioning. A few days in the teens and I guess they decided we weren't going to have another cold snap. In March?!? Oh, well, Saint Patrick probably had to go out and gather his own fuel and rub his own sticks so I should be grateful for instant coffee and a microwave! And for some lovely hymns I may pull out of the bookcase and sing after breakfast.

@AngiH I am so sorry to hear about Harry. I lost my MasCat at 19 nearly 2 years ago. It wasn't sudden or unexpected but it was still heartbreaking. Big hug to you.

@urbanracer I honestly don't think there is anything to get about this, as far as logic. I think that finger-sticking is a roll of the dice and that we are not precision instruments that can be calibrated.

Everything these days is about counting numbers -- from carbs at a meal to strides in a show-jumping arena. Our animals don't do it, so why should we?

Job 12:7-11 (Francis just dropped by to take tea with Patrick :D)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Good morning all, I've been AWOL for a few days..lots going on. A surprising 6.2 for me today after going to bed at 11.0 my highest number since testing. Sadly lost my 13 year old American cocker spaniel yesterday, didn't eat all day and ended up with a bag of chips from the chippy hence the high number. It was so sudden which is always hard as you can't try and mentally prepare, but at least for my Harry Boy it was quick and he was still wagging his little tail have a lovely day all, it's good to see the sunshine.
So sorry to hear of your loss, it's so hard when our animal friends go.

P
xxx

Reactions: True Blue and AngiH

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit late posting again today. Fbg was 5.0 this morning.

@AngiH -- So sorry about Harry. It is so hard losing a treasured pet. It definitely leaves a hole in your life. Hugs.
@Goacher55 and @Emma_369 -- Hope you feel better soon. Brilliant fasting levels in spite of the cold/sore throat though.
@DJC3 -- If I recall correctly, this is already the second or third fasting level in the fours. I know this involves a lot of dedication and hard work. Absolutely wonderfully done.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome on to the pitch, @RichardHawkings :)

life's always about taking part, ( so no more standing on the sidelines..;) )

great score to kick off with.
i saw you've been on here a while, so you seem to have got the hang of it.

bound to be one or two could benefit from your experiences.

hi @urbanracer

you'll know better then me about this beast we suffer.

for what i've seen, it doesn't seem to be linear how it responds to any particular stimulus..:wacky:

it just 'does' it's thing when it's ready..

sure to find you behave like a saint for a few days and it'll throw you a curve ball of an unexpected double digit..:bigtears:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
aww, @AngiH

what an awful day that was for you.

beautiful looking dog.
and clearly much loved.

as others say..it is family..we love them..they love us, and there's little we wouldn't do for them.

lost our bels, our cat, one year end of this month
crafty, sneaky, cute, demanding, impatient, loving...all could of summed her up.

i can't see any other word but "Loved"...(still miss her )

best wishes for getting past the loss (doubt it goes, but it lessens )

hugs x

Reactions: DJC3 and AngiH

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good morning all, I've been AWOL for a few days..lots going on. A surprising 6.2 for me today after going to bed at 11.0 my highest number since testing. Sadly lost my 13 year old American cocker spaniel yesterday, didn't eat all day and ended up with a bag of chips from the chippy hence the high number. It was so sudden which is always hard as you can't try and mentally prepare, but at least for my Harry Boy it was quick and he was still wagging his little tail have a lovely day all, it's good to see the sunshine.

I came across this at Newstead Abby while wandering the grounds.

boatswain memorial.jpg

"When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth
Unknown by glory, but upheld by Birth
The sculptor's art exhausts the pomp of woe
And storied urns record who rests below
When all is done upon the tomb is seen
Not what he was but what he should have been
But the poor dog in life the firmest friend
The first to welcome, foremost to defend
Whose honest heart is still his Master's own
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone
Unhonoured falls unnoticed all his worth
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on Earth-
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven
And claims himself a soul exclusive Heaven
Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power-
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy words deceit
By nature vile, enobled but by name
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame
Ye, who perchance behold this simple urn
Pass on - it honours none you wish to mourn
To mark a friends remains these stones arise
I never knew but one - and here he lies"
LORD BYRON 1808

A just tribute to the memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov 18 1808

Last edited:

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

hi @urbanracer

for what i've seen, it doesn't seem to be linear how it responds to any particular stimulus..:wacky:

sure to find you behave like a saint for a few days and it'll throw you a curve ball of an unexpected double digit..:bigtears:

hi @urbanracer

Reactions: ianpspurs