What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - You have been uncontented with your way of living and eating for some time. Have you considered having a period of, as a couple of weeks, or a month, of doing exactly what "feels right" to you, monitoring and testing along the way?

I suggest at least a couple of weeks as our bodies do operate on a sort of habit basis, with the "last meal effect" coming into play, as far as digestive juices, enzymes and so on are concerned. The last meal effect is one of the reasons one should really ensure we eat a decent number of carbs prior to undertaking an OGTT - so as not to shock the body with the glucose load. (OK, very simplified).

If you do that, you may see you have a new baseline for your body, in terms of what it can or can't handle, and for some, they have found just doing something different wakes up their body a bit more - whether for weight loss or other things.

My A1c readings and finger prick/Libre readings are never, ever, ever aligned. I've never had an A1c that was near to my cummulative spot checks. My finger prick and Libre graphs suggets my A1c should be about 21, but the labs are usually higher.

I haven't used a Libre for what seems like ages now, so maybe time for me to do another comparison, when I get home.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all

4.7 for me.

I've been following the debate about when, how and why to test.

For me I've pretty much always been a grazer and still find its pretty much what I do now, albeit with a slight variety of what I consider good to eat. Its an ever evolving thing I find . At the moment what seems to be suiting me is a mini early breakfast , some nuts and home made fermented soya yogurt with coffee kicks off my day - sometimes I see a drop in fasting glucose after, sometimes not. I usually then do a beach walk, more coffee, followed by a 3 egg mash up + tomatoes , mushroom , then try to attend to what needs to be done work wise, stopping for a salad and fish lunch when I'm hungry . Carry on working till 7 / 8 then have supper with my other half. We both take a whirl at cooking , last night I did a chicken stew, lots of celery, onions, tomatoes , wild garlic, peppers and an organic chicken. Pudding was a blend of cream avocado and raspberries. During the course of the day I'll consume 2 litres of almond milk.

This has been working well for me for the last couple of months and if and when it doesn't, or I get bored I'll tweak it somehow . What I find is that I have to be open to exploring new foods, new schedules and toughest of all telling people that I wont be eating the meal they prepared for me when I go out if I think it might contain something I wouldn't want. This I find a tough thing to do.... I do read all the books and love the science but dont believe anyone has all the answers , or even most of them. The joy for me in this website is that we are able to share those doubts and maybe, just maybe find something that works , even just for a while.

Strewth ! I've written a lot for this time of the day....

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kind of disagree. If what I/we do works it works irrespective of testing so the continuation of testing should only confirm that. You can test a cabbage as often as you like, it is still a cabbage:)

Posted agreed, but clear to see @OrsonKartt point is how disciplined you were ..and I think also highlights the benefits of the meter, especially at first DX.

You clearly took great note of the foods that suited you (number wise ) best.

A credit to yourself that it was the cabbage n greens and not the cake and chocolate, you defferred to .:D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning, ok but higher than expected after a day of v low carbs (<10g yesterday) and bedtime reading 4.3. Unnecessarily helpful of my liver.
@Patrick66 good fbg but I hope today is less stressful for you
@OrsonKartt I completely agree with you: it is an ever evolving thing and needs constant tweaking. Your day sounds pretty good.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @Saskia a family meal i.e with 2 or more sons, wives and children will easily mean 3-4 hrs at the table. Not continuous eating but maybe an hour or 1.5 hrs between courses/parts of the meal.

These are the sort of meals that we have when our children and grandchildren bowl up. They usually start early afternoon and just go on.
On these occasions I view it as a one meal day although it depends upon my fasting reading as I may need a little bit of something first thing. As for that long, most enjoyable, drawn out meal, I check my blood as the table is being laid, decide upon what and how much I am going to have and so far, it has panned out. One of my contributions to household chores is that I run the kitchen (food buying and preparing) so I know what’s in everything. I have also managed to mix roast potatoes with roast celeriac for Sunday Lunch type meals - so far, my agent provocateur additions have gone down well.

All the best

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - You have been uncontented with your way of living and eating for some time. Have you considered having a period of, as a couple of weeks, or a month, of doing exactly what "feels right" to you, monitoring and testing along the way?

I suggest at least a couple of weeks as our bodies do operate on a sort of habit basis, with the "last meal effect" coming into play, as far as digestive juices, enzymes and so on are concerned. The last meal effect is one of the reasons one should really ensure we eat a decent number of carbs prior to undertaking an OGTT - so as not to shock the body with the glucose load. (OK, very simplified).

If you do that, you may see you have a new baseline for your body, in terms of what it can or can't handle, and for some, they have found just doing something different wakes up their body a bit more - whether for weight loss or other things.

My A1c readings and finger prick/Libre readings are never, ever, ever aligned. I've never had an A1c that was near to my cummulative spot checks. My finger prick and Libre graphs suggets my A1c should be about 21, but the labs are usually higher.

I haven't used a Libre for what seems like ages now, so maybe time for me to do another comparison, when I get home.
Thanks for that and it all seems very sensible. Now the Genie is out of the bottle it is very difficult to think of any kind of normal which doesn't restrict carbs. Results of blood tests are ok and weight is good so at a basic level this WOE and living, if seen as a treatment, is kind of working. Seen that way, as a treatment, I highly doubt that there is or could be another I would enjoy either. I respect what you say and the effort to help. To a certain extent I feel I need to finish this course of treatment, at least until June. At that stage I can see full lab numbers again not just bg level and make changes. Oddly, BG seems to be the standout only just about OK biomarker which is where a huge part of my frustration lies.
Again, sincere thanks. Edited to add only in to last sentence.

Last edited: