Who eats processed foods?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bacon and dairy. I think a short prayer before I eat "Please, may this food do me more good than harm."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the most tedious things about trying to live a lifestyle that minimises processed food is the nitpicking and finger wagging from those who have different expectations of their own diet.
How many carbs in a nit?

For me the term processed arises when I read the ingredients, and don;t recognise them as being of natural origin. If it goes from pack strainght into the pot or the oven, then it may well be processed too. I include frozen packs of veggies in that description since I have had bad experiences of some that have added sugars in them, so peas and green beans can be surprisingly processed.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
It's patent nonsense: if you don't believe me, eat a plate of bacon and eggs then take a blood reading; same time the next day, enjoy a healthy, life-giving vegan mango fruit salad then take a blood reading. The first one will barely move your meter; the second will look like a cricket score.
Oh, I know that the bacon does not affect BSL's (apart from some type1s)I do not eat bacon every day though. I know that it is good for BSL's but what about other parts of our body? I am also aware of how fruits can cause a spike. I just wondered how many people here ate processed foods. some on low carb or Keto don't and wont.

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I heard of a child killed by being fed highly salted potato powder rather than proper but more expensive weaning food - but it was not given water when thirsty so as to save on nappies....
In normal circumstances, however, high salt is not a problem unless there is a malfunction in the kidneys.
When cutting back on salt on doctors advice, I had the most excruciating cramps day and night. I started to put a small pinch or salt in my coffee each morning and they went away. The dr did not believe that low salt could have caused cramps, nor that the salted coffee could have cured them.
Fine, I said.
I suspect that a more detailed examination of the foods being eaten would have thrown up more suspects for early death, and more reasons for an extended lifespan.
Same here when I first started Keto or low carb..I was getting cramps in my calves. I added salt to my food and they have not returned since.

Reactions: 1spuds

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No mention of processed seed oils eh? What if it is a seed oil that is added to the wholegrain bread to fool customers into thinking it is fresher and healthier?

NB Learned many moons ago that fats are added to shop bought bread to stop it going all dry and stale looking.
They were just talking about processed meat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were just talking about processed meat
Which if you look very carefully at the numbers quoted in the study was "blamed" for a surprisingly small number of deaths..
Completely falsely of course but even so.. when the naysayers own study shows little to no problem you do have to wonder who was behind the report..and exactly what the agenda was. Zoe Harcombe destroyed it in her piece today of course..

Reactions: Oldvatr

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Putting it in perspective, if you smoke you have a 30 x risk of getting lung cancer compared to a non smoker. Eating processed meats carries a 1.08 x risk. And if you are salt sensitive you would get high blood pressure but a large proportion of the population are not salt sensitive.
If you are 'carb sensitive' (at risk of metabolic diseases like diabetes) then you may do yourself more damage by eating those healthy wholegrains instead of the bacon!
It's the nitrates in the bacon that they were also concerned about. Sainsburys sell bacon without the nitrates, but not some of the other supermarkets

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the nitrates in the bacon that they were also concerned about. Sainsburys sell bacon without the nitrates, but not some of the other supermarkets
We have used nitrates since possibly the middle ages to preserve meat, Ir is not a new or unatural chemical, indeed we need nitrogn ro make urea, and to keep the blood flowing in our veins, Many body cells require nitrogen compounds.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/500133-why-does-our-body-need-nitrogen/

We may be right to show concern about the quantity used to preserve modern meats for the required shelf life demanded by our food vendors, but I have no problem eating nitrate cured meats.

On the other hand, there has been concern about the use of nitrites for shelf life extension. A study appears to show that nitrites can become degraded to form nitriles which are suspected as being associated with cancer. I have not seen either of these claims actually proven either to be fact or by a reputable study. The article is based on the findings of one study only, and draws conclusions that may turn out to be wrong. However, the plants we eat, the water we drink, all have nitriles present in quite large quantities, so I am again not too worried about this one study. I would argue that the study results may have easily been skewed by the meals and drinks the subjects consumed.

Car and diesel exhaust fumes include nitrous compounds, and represent a much greater risk than sausages or bacon IMO. Cigarettes also caused smokers to inhale nitrous compounds in large supply, and I note that electic cancer sticks do not in fact appear to be associated with any cancer risk, so was it really nicotine to blame?

Reactions: derry60

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't intend to stop boiling my bacon any time soon. Nitrates are very soluble, so is salt, so the rashers get a minute or so in a nice warm bath before frying - so simple, but my family is notoriously long lived.

Reactions: Yai

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I used to love bacon and salami, but I can't have it now. I'm sad, but it's good not to eat processed foods.

I enjoyed my Chorizo Crisps last night :). For me, it's about drawing a line in the sand just as long as as the risk is known and understood and this goes for everything we put into our bodys.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat one serving of bacon a week as a treat, and I do eat low carb protein bars, and I use a diary free margarine but other then that not much processed food.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I eat one serving of bacon a week as a treat, and I do eat low carb protein bars, and I use a diary free margarine but other then that not much processed food.

May I ask why dairy free? Are you dairy intolerant?

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask why dairy free? Are you dairy intolerant?
I watch my calories very carefully, and on the days I want Vegemite on my daily single piece of pumpkin seed wholemeal toast the specific diary free margarine has the least calories per serve.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I watch my calories very carefully, and on the days I want Vegemite on my daily single piece of pumpkin seed wholemeal toast the specific diary free margarine has the least calories per serve.

But butter is so much more healthy, totally natural, and so much more tasty.

Reactions: 1spuds

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I see, thank you.