What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well its now 0645 here in the heart of yippie yi yo kayah (good old Bing - no not that one, Mr Crosby). I am warmed by the intrusion of a mysterious 6.1 this am - wonder if it was that second helping of cauliflower shepherds pie or perhaps “just because”?
It’s our last morning in Texas today and we are off to Austin-Bergrstrom in a couple of hours to pick up a flight to Washington DC. Only been there once before and that was just to fly in and pick up a rental car. Hope that the weather contains a reasonable proportion of heat on the plus side.
Have a great day if you can, ponder the falicy of over stabbing finger ends if you can’t.

Attachments

• B3426D07-862B-475C-9F4D-8DE79677B7E8.jpeg
    B3426D07-862B-475C-9F4D-8DE79677B7E8.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 114

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seen the error of my ways, after tip a off from MiL I've cancelled my Saturday in work, and will now be doing the whole dutiful husband thing....well one day a year can't be too hard.
Where to start ...?:banghead:( A few times league cricket fixtures started on Julie's birthday - she knew long before we married what I would do)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seen the error of my ways, after tip a off from MiL I've cancelled my Saturday in work, and will now be doing the whole dutiful husband thing....well one day a year can't be too hard.

Phew! That was a close thing!

Reactions: HarryBeau

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Narrow escape from a world of pain there. I think you should buy your MIL a box of chocolates or something she seems a very astute lady and has done you a great favour. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for sympathies re fireplace ( @PenguinMum @Bubbsie @JohnEGreen @jjraak @Caseji @ziggy_w @ianpspurs @dunelm gosh!) Ian thanks for reassurance re price, there is a CO alarm ( but in the wrong place apparently) I think we’ll just have to go with it, luckily I cashed in a couple of small pension pots recently which come to roughly the same amount - was going to use it for a holiday but I will appreciate the warmth this winter more.
@dunelm and @OrsonKart the bomb bit is because they used to run central heating off it and there is a water tank behind which is empty now so apparently the heat from the fire could cause the tank to explode. Can’t get to the flue to sweep it ( which is how we came to realise the problem) as there’s a metal plate at the back. No Hetas cert so it’s obviously been put in by amateurs. ( ps thanks for Hetas link @dunelm)
I can’t help feeling we are lucky really, to still be here to tell the tale!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not happy.
7am fasting blood sugar was 10.7
I was stressed yesterday morning. I am profoundly deaf and cannot hear on the telephone (live on my own) and had paperwork and stuff to sort yesterday morning which requested phone calls (despite me setting up stuff so they knew my deafness, and despite me letting them know text or email only, but that is another whole rant). Succeeded by email, with all but one issue, so went to my afternoon art group stressed and forgot my art materials...

It didn’t help they were waving chocolate Swiss rolls in front of my face at coffee break ‘you know you want one..’ They know I am diabetic.

I did flipping want one, but I declined. But when I got home the urge for chocolate was overwhelming. So I had some and didn’t feel any better.

So was it my fault my reading this morning was up to 10.7?

Then I thought, maybe the meter itself is faulty. Is this denial. Maybe. But it is from doctor and is nearly two years old. It is CareSens.

I was going to order some test strips of Amazon for it because doctor only allows 4 test strips a week and I need to test myself more often to check with foods I eat. But the test strips are very expensive.

So last week I ordered a new different meter and test strips and lancets. Much much cheaper. Affordable for me. This new one is SD Codefree.

So I opened the box. And tested with this new one. First of all my finger refuses to part with any more blood this morning. Finally it gives me a drop. I test it. This new reading just minutes after the first reading of 10.7, is now 9.7.

I am much happier it is now in single figures. Psychologically that makes me feel happier.

Maybe the old meter is inaccurate. Or maybe it is possible that different meters given different readings.

Dark chocolate, which is my only vice, is now being divided into some very small plastic containers I have and I can only have one of those tiny containers each day...

My sympathies gennepher, you have a lot of stress to deal with there!
Have you tried Montezuma’s absolute black chocolate? Ive got the one with orange and cocoa nibs - its only 8g carb for the whole 100g bar so even if you went mad and ate the whole lot you wouldn’t be doing too much damage. Sainsburys sell it

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Our holiday recap.

Landed ok.
But the NOISE...omg
The hub bub of so many foreign voices
The smells of so much foreign food.
The driving is at best orderly-ish..but oh those taxis .
And all the miserable faces.

BUT that's enough about London.;)

We are home safe n sound after another fantastic holiday in the land of a thousand gods.

Overview.
I ate breads & rice and scores stayed good.
I drank far to much and danced way to often, to be good for liver or image..but s*d it...we HAD FUN, baby .:D

We even kareoke'd....:woot:..
( oh the shame :wideyed:)

But we did walk... a LOT.
We did travel around ..a LOT.
and I swam a LOT..
( it became my 'wet gym' )

And I even visited gym with lads from beach..so I TRIED to stay healthy and fit.

Downside is we are here not there..:bigtears:

But for all the extra foods, good or bad..and the many drinks..I only put on 3 lbs..:D

So back to normal, bread free, alcohol free.
Time to pamper Mrs Panc & Mr Liver for a little while, me thinks.

Today's FBG..after globetrotting home a not too miserable 6.3...

Now where did we put those holiday brochures, again..;)

Have a good one all.

( Hope all those with broken things get them mended in the best way and price possible.)

For those down or poorly... hugs and best wishes.

For those away or soon to be...#WELLJEL.

Enjoy and share a few crumbs with us stuck at home..:)
Welcome home

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 today looks like another bright day here.
We discovered this week that our multifuel burner was installed illegally and is in fact a bomb waiting to go off if we light a fire in it! Had a quote for a new one which is >£1000 and including fixtures ( flexible flue etc) and fittings will cost £2230!! Not sure what to do now.

1) Don't light a fire in it.
2) Get a second opinion.
3) Talk to the agent who did the pre-closing inspection. They passed it -- shouldn't they be responsible? You were just the innocent purchasers.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried Montezuma’s absolute black chocolate? Ive got the one with orange and cocoa nibs - its only 8g carb for the whole 100g bar so even if you went mad and ate the whole lot you wouldn’t be doing too much damage. Sainsburys sell it
Never heard of that before.
I am going to Sainsbury's first thing in the morning!!!

Thank you so much for that amazing information!!!
>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.3 earlier this morning.

I spent 3 days on the phone with the American Ophthalmology Association and other organizations trying to sort out a voucher I received for a pair of glasses (but no eye exam). After waiting 4 months for the voucher, it had a 4-day window of opportunity for me to find an optometrist, get an appointment, find a way to pay for an exam, then find an optician who carries the authorized brand of frames. I spent 3 of those 4 days just trying to get all that done -- forget trying to get a ride to the optomestrist's.

I don't know why I'm fighting it -- if I paid for the eye exam I wouldn't be able to pay to renew my driver's license, which doesn't matter anyway because i don't have a car ...

Oh, well. The KittenCat is loving the canned duck I found for her yesterday when I was out escaping from the rip-off artists that call themselves charitable organizations! And she's the reason I keep on keeping on. ^. .^

@PenguinMum , fingers crossed and thumbs up for you and Oscar today -- I imagine his person is home by now and you are on your way back home.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Hello @gennepher I have the SD Codefree meter and strips too. The lancets in the starter pack are fine. I tried to save money with subsequent cheaper lancets, slightly different colour, not so good, needing multiple attempts (Ouch!)

You have told us some of your unique qualities that sometimes make your days different. As time passes you will learn some of other people's situations, on this forum. I hope you will continue to find this forum to be a supportive, caring and safe on-line space.

In the meantime, onwards and upwards! (Or in the case of blood glucose, downwards!)
I reckon stress is a big factor in BG readings

Viv19

I’ve just copied your message into my phone notes for shopping (mnext time I go to visit Dad in the U.K.! That chocolate sounds blissful.
Level this morning was 6.7, better than yesterday which was 7.1. Mmmmm. And I haven’t (yet) been eating chocolate.
I read today that the thyroid can affect bg levels. I’ll have to ask about that one next check up.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1) Don't light a fire in it.
2) Get a second opinion.
3) Talk to the agent who did the pre-closing inspection. They passed it -- shouldn't they be responsible? You were just the innocent purchasers.

Thanks Saskia. We certainly wont be lighting any fires in it now. We have had 2 opinions, the first was the chimney sweep who couldnt get access to the flue, then we got a fire company in and they both said it was dangerous.
We bought the house a couple of years ago and Ive no idea how to get in contact with those people. I’m just glad nothing terrible has happened so far really.