I will look into this thank you sonia x

Reactions: 1spuds

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The best advice is to keep well clear of any course given by the NHS about diet for T2 as it's likely to make your diabetes worse. Go low-carb and get a meter. Exercise is always good but the right diet trumps that.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was offered the Desmond course but refused it. I managed to keep my GP/nurse on side by agreeing to see their dietitian instead, who insisted I had to eat carbs at early meal - in spite of my latest results showing I'd got my blood sugars down into the normal range by then from going low carb.
Their advice is stuck in the old patterns, and not supported by good quality research conducted over the last few years.
Thousands of people have reduced their blood sugars by going lowcarb, and the lowcarbprogram is recognised by the NHS - it can even be prescribed (ie the cost covered).

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!
I am similarly new although I did attend TILT as my diagnosis was in end Feb this year and because the DN (Diabetic Nurse) said that people who went on this course had a better outcome in terms of managing their T2.

Like someone else has mentioned it is essentially a talk about "Moderation" and the "Eat Well" plate.
I really found it depressing. Just about everyone else there had been pre-diabetic but were now fully T2 and on several drugs. There was only myself and one other person that was actually doing anything about their diet.

When I was asked what I had for breakfast I said I didn't have breakfast and the well meaning lady beside me chided me for missing the most important meal of the day.

The idea of "Moderation" is too abstract to grasp for people who think that they can simply eat less of what they used to eat before.

I also said that I monitored my own BG and the nurse/dietitian conducting the course said it wasn't necessary and not recommended even.

That is not to say that I didn't learn anything.
I learnt what I should have asked about in the first place when I got my diagnosis ie. what my blood test results were etc.. and that this course was not particularly helpful to people who helped themselves.

You will find a lot more help here
so don't fret you're in good company.
All the best!
Reply to Josie and KookieMunchster...Good gosh they gave you such poor advice IMO.Easy diet to start is high fat and low carb,cut out bread,white rice,pasta,potatoes and added sugars.Carbs are the enemy,fats are your newest friend.That works for a huge amount of T2 folks.Read labels on processed food products,they are loaded with huge carbs and sugars,almost all of it! YIKES!

Of course you want a meter,how else would you know what you can or cant eat? When starting out you test before you eat something,test 2 hours after and see if it shoots up sugar or only raises it a bit.Eat to your meter is among the absolute best advice offered here.

I wouldnt give a hoot for any stupid program pushing carbs,thats just incredibly bad advice....Yes ADA,Im talking about you! Real,effective dietary advice is an area this forum shines in,Best Ive ever seen....ever. They set me straight,thank you one and all yet again.

This must be the 5th time today I mentioned this thread.Shows great meals,and actual BG results.We are what we eat as T2's for sure!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...orning-and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/

You CAN do this,it isnt nearly as hard when you have good mentors.Diet=Key to control for almost all of us T2 folks to a large degree,med dependent or not.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Current NHS advice is to offer the desmond course or similar - alternative is an appointment with a dietitian. I decided to decline the course as I knew they were using the Eatwell plate and I was going low carb.
As expected the dietitian told me to eat more carbs even through my blood sugar was already down into normal/prediabetic ranges.
I thanked her and carried on with low carb. I'd joined the lowcarbprogram and followed their videos and advice. It worked.

phila

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat chocolate, bread & cakes
Diagnosed T2 Jan. On metformin slow release 2 tabs in eve. I cant get my waking BM below 9.5. I was diagnosed Jan and have had no guidance as to what i shouldnt eat. Everything is what Ive read myself. Should i have been sent on a course?
Im not sure Ive made enough changes..plus its stupid but i honestly keep forgetting Im diabetic!!
The only guidance I got was the usual cut down on carbs and sugars. Also to treat myself once or twice a week otherwise it will be hard to keep to any regime. I find if I do not eat late at night my BM is in double figures in the morning. This is quite common. Keep the weight down and reduce the bad stuff if you can't cut it out. Phil

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all this useful advice. My diagnosed reading in 2017 was 124 but by a total change in eating habits is now 39. That is no high GI foods and few low GI food so do not let anyone persuade you to eat lots things like potatoes, rice, white bread. Instead go for eggs, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, milk, strawberries raspberries high cocoa chocolate and nuts. Best book i have got is called Carbs and Cals. A must for me.
Andrew Smith

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed T2 Jan. On metformin slow release 2 tabs in eve. I cant get my waking BM below 9.5. I was diagnosed Jan and have had no guidance as to what i shouldnt eat. Everything is what Ive read myself. Should i have been sent on a course?
Im not sure Ive made enough changes..plus its stupid but i honestly keep forgetting Im diabetic!!
On my initial diagnosis my nurse recommended the low carb and this forum.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is the DESMOND course. I was offered a place on this one but declined to attend. You could ask your GP or nurse about it. To be honest, from what I've heard it is just the EatWell Plate which is something you can learn online and dare I say it - may not be of great value to you.
Was diagnosed last Febuary and as stated was recommended the low carb diet and forum. However I am going on the Desmond course on Saturday. Don't know what the eat well plate is but if they suggest dumping the low carb high fat diet I will ignore them as I have lost 2 stone on the low carb diet.

NR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
GPs who don’t keep up to date!

I was diagnosed a pre-diabetic and “obese” in March 2018 and the GP said I should go on a course, so I contacted the number who were based 200 miles away and had no idea that the Forest of Dean is not near Cheltenham!! Eventually I got a first meeting in Gloucester with a young girl who took lots of information, did a finger prick BG test and said that I would hear from them for a course “in my area”. That’s the last I heard! Was too mean to buy a BG meter, so took the advice of this forum on cutting out all sugary foods, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, alcohol, used a smaller plate, visit gym for resistance and cardio 3 times a week (usually but some weeks it has slipped) and my HbA1c was down to 38mmol/mol by November. Got an apt with GP (after 3 weeks) and he was very surprised!
My advice is to stick with the advice on this forum...Daisy is a star...such a clear explanation. I think I’m lucky to like green veges, soups and salads. Fruit like apples and pears and bananas are what I really miss as I stick to the lower GI blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I never added sugar to anything anyway so that wasn’t a problem for me in one way but in another, I was a bit stuck at first to know what to cut out. It just HAD to be the carbs for me. I have lost 11kg (1.5 stone) and still have a bit more to go. All the best on your journey.

DawnOfTheZed

Hi, I was referred for an Xpert course after diagnosis 3 years ago. Unfortunately it was not available for three months by which time I had found a very helpful online blog called bloodsugar101 by Jenny Ruhl, and already embarked on a modified Atkins diet. Ironically the course was presented by the same nurse who had given ineffective advice and failed to monitor me when I was diagnosed with prediabetes years before. However the book that accompanied the course was quite helpful and the other patients experience was enlightening. A low carb diet and and post meal blood sugar testing has reduced my HbA1c to within the normal range. Good luck to you.

I did the Xpert course a few months ago and also found the book quite OK. They had updated the book recently and had a lot of stuff in it that the nurse leading the course hadn't been aware of eg more info on fibre and refined oils since she had her most recent copy. It mentioned various diets that diabetics had found helpful such as low cal, low carb high fat, intermittent fasting and mediterranean diet. It also mentioned a total replacement diet had been most successful in losing weight but had to be careful as some put the weight back on afterwards. The nurse promoted the med diet. After the course I went back to their website and ordered their more detailed book on low carb high fat diet. I wish I'd had that during the course to wave at the nurse, hehe! Am tempted to get any additional books they might have on low cal and intermittent fasting, if they have them. The list of blood and tribe tests and recommended ranges at the back of the book is really helpful.

Xpert is available online but you have to pay for it. Could be worth it to anyone where the local education program is months away? Although probably better info here!

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
The NHS is so far behind current thinking in the advice they give that it's almost criminal.
Lots of good advice here about reducing carbs, but you do need to take on board a number of changes to your lifestyle:

1. Keep testing immediately before and one hour and two hours after the first bite
2. Note which foods raise your blood sugar and which don't
3. Eat the foods that don't raise your blood sugar
4. Try to come to terms with the fact that eating fat is better than eating carbs and realise that the NHS think this is unhealthy. If it is, tens of thousands of people who feel healthier after switching to high fat/low carb are wrong. You have to decide for yourself
5. Recognise that there is currently no cure for T2. Most of us can only hope to control our T2 well by sticking to a HFLC diet permanently. It's not a short term diet, it's a permanent change to eating habits.
6. Accept that there will be setbacks. I'm currently on holiday and I can't be as strict with my diet as I normally am. My BG has been higher, but I'm doing more exercise to keep it from rising too high. If you are ill your BG will likely rise, but it doesn't mean you've failed so long as it goes down again when you are better
7. Exercise works well for some but not for others. In all cases some exercise is better than none.
8. Controlling T2 is a marathon not a sprint. Waking BG is usually the last thing which improves, but it will after 3-12 months if you stick with it.
9. Friends and family may not be of much help. My own daughter told me that I overdo it and I'm the only T2 she knows who tests his/her blood. I replied that I'm probably the only T2 she knows who has their condition fully under control. Learn to laugh at the cynics. We know better than them.

I speak from experience.

John

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed a pre-diabetic and “obese” in March 2018 and the GP said I should go on a course, so I contacted the number who were based 200 miles away and had no idea that the Forest of Dean is not near Cheltenham!! Eventually I got a first meeting in Gloucester with a young girl who took lots of information, did a finger prick BG test and said that I would hear from them for a course “in my area”. That’s the last I heard! Was too mean to buy a BG meter, so took the advice of this forum on cutting out all sugary foods, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, alcohol, used a smaller plate, visit gym for resistance and cardio 3 times a week (usually but some weeks it has slipped) and my HbA1c was down to 38mmol/mol by November. Got an apt with GP (after 3 weeks) and he was very surprised!
My advice is to stick with the advice on this forum...Daisy is a star...such a clear explanation. I think I’m lucky to like green veges, soups and salads. Fruit like apples and pears and bananas are what I really miss as I stick to the lower GI blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I never added sugar to anything anyway so that wasn’t a problem for me in one way but in another, I was a bit stuck at first to know what to cut out. It just HAD to be the carbs for me. I have lost 11kg (1.5 stone) and still have a bit more to go. All the best on your journey.

Hi,
Well done, you've obviously worked very hard.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Gail1947

4C1A8EF3-3636-4D0E-9220-8320F790E4D8.png

WasWodge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually just to be different I got sent on a Diabetes course run by the NHS (afraid I can't remember what it was called) when I was diagnosed about 12 years ago and they did recommend a low carb diet, offered suggestions on food substitutes, recommended doing more exercise, explained the issues Diabetes caused and had the secretary of the local Diabetes Association in to give a talk on his experiences.

Guess it just shows how much the treatment varies across the country.

Btw, I was the first patient from my surgery to be sent on the course and was asked to report back if I thought it was of benefit (luckily the advice given on the course matched what the GP and practice diabetic nurse had said to do, just more gave more detail on the food).

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is the DESMOND course. I was offered a place on this one but declined to attend. You could ask your GP or nurse about it. To be honest, from what I've heard it is just the EatWell Plate which is something you can learn online and dare I say it - may not be of great value to you.
Yes i remember DESMOND I listened mouth agog and about half way through I walked out after telling the nurses giving the lecture it was down right dangerous!

Reactions: Guzzler
D

Deleted member 464700

I bought a helpful little book from Amazon £3-99 with a mine of information
GI & GL Counter Paperback – 7 Jul 2014
by Dr Wynnie Chan (Author)

Reactions: 1spuds

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I bought a helpful little book from Amazon £3-99 with a mine of information
GI & GL Counter Paperback – 7 Jul 2014
by Dr Wynnie Chan (Author)
In my opinion the 'Carbs and Cals' book or app would do better service than a book on the Glycaemic Index and Load.