Do you feel that diabetes has ruined your life ?

cribbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for it, mate! I used to do a lot of cycle touring with a tent on the back of the bike when I was younger.

One of the sweetest was a coast to coast along the Great Glen Cycle Route from Fort William on the west coast of Scotland to Inverness on the east.

Not a long trip by any means, only about 80 miles, but there was so much crammed into those 80. It follows canal paths up from Fort William, spills out into Loch Ness at Fort Augustus, managed to rick my knee on the way there, so laid up at FA for a few days, watching yachts traversing through the middle of Scotland whilst sitting in a decent pub, then a stint on the high ground above Loch Ness, didn't spot the monster, then through some leafy glades and forests on the run into Inverness.

Like I say, just 80 miles, but it was a good 80 miles!

That certainly sounds like something I'd look at doing at some point. The one I'm hoping to do this year is the Trans-Pennine Trail, which runs from Southport to Hull. It's 215 miles and I'm thinking of taking a week to do it in. It depends on a number of things like getting the time off work, getting the time to train, talking the wife into letting me disappear for a week etc, but fingers crossed.

cribbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I can see it was a big wake up call for you, life changing in fact and well done for losing 4 stone in weight :)

Thank you. I've got a long way to go yet, though. It's a work in progress. I've been fairly steady for a while now but with the change in weather I'm hoping to get back out on my bike a lot more and move towards my target weight.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think the causes are multiple and the disease is one

It may seem strange to tell you that I am lucky because I found this forum before the doctors here

Some doctors here have to pass 40 patients before 12 am that mean 40 patients in 4 hours 6 minute for one patient how ???

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out it is very common for people to be diagnosed type 1 later in life. I myself was 54, and have come across lots of people diagnosed over the age of 40.
Do I feel it has ruined my life? Definitely not.
Do I feel my inability to have a second child and subsequent loss of 4 pregnancies in my 20s/30s ruined my life. Initially yes, but I was able to pick myself up and forge a new fulfilling life.
Diabetes threw me another curve ball but luckily I’m a glass half full kind of girl.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That certainly sounds like something I'd look at doing at some point. The one I'm hoping to do this year is the Trans-Pennine Trail, which runs from Southport to Hull. It's 215 miles and I'm thinking of taking a week to do it in. It depends on a number of things like getting the time off work, getting the time to train, talking the wife into letting me disappear for a week etc, but fingers crossed.

A few things came together. I twisted my knee a bit through getting off the bike badly, so I had to lay up in FA for a while, then it turned out there was a full rigged Irish clipper going through the canal to the East Coast for the Tall Ships race, so there's me stuck in FA with a bad knee and lots of Irish girls making sure I was ok! I was pretty happy with the situation!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes and hundreds of miles away from home, I was quite poorly, in hospital for a week, but recovered well.
I was changing drs and had to leave a urine sample. It was a Friday late morning and I very rarely had a day off but I used my day off in 2wks of shift work to see nurse and then do food shopping, then relax at home. I left nurse at my new gps with sample and she called me in Sainsbury saying I had to return to Dr's. I explained out of the question as I was in middle shopping and awaiting to go through checkout with frozen food which needed freezing asap.
She asked if I could return Saturday morning so I agreed. Notifying work an emergency drs appointment instead of overtime.
I didn't take it seriously as I did have a clue what the nurse was implying.
After shopping I ate and slept for hours, then into the evening and throughout until my emergency nurse appointment. I lived on my own so off I walked up to Dr's (about a mile) for a test on nurses meter. She didn't show me its result. She booked me for gp Monday morning. He prescribed metformin and a meter test strips. I returned 2 weeks later with meter readings of my own explained by nurse pre Dr appointment. I think Dr requested blood tests too so all received by 2wks for nurse appointment. I just saw nurse til I was referred to endo due to hormone disorder and depression. Endo was assisting my infertility as I was originally on metformin for PCOS at old drs, different region too.
I managed my diabetes on metformin until 5yrs later when I needed insulin for my first pregnancy. After labour I needed more support to manage my numbers (hba1c). 2nd pregnancy made management even more difficult.
Now unable to walk without 4 different painkillers. Which I'm hoping temporary, 2yrs of pain is enough for anyone to bare.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was changing drs and had to leave a urine sample. It was a Friday late morning and I very rarely had a day off but I used my day off in 2wks of shift work to see nurse and then do food shopping, then relax at home. I left nurse at my new gps with sample and she called me in Sainsbury saying I had to return to Dr's. I explained out of the question as I was in middle shopping and awaiting to go through checkout with frozen food which needed freezing asap.
She asked if I could return Saturday morning so I agreed. Notifying work an emergency drs appointment instead of overtime.
I didn't take it seriously as I did have a clue what the nurse was implying.
After shopping I ate and slept for hours, then into the evening and throughout until my emergency nurse appointment. I lived on my own so off I walked up to Dr's (about a mile) for a test on nurses meter. She didn't show me its result. She booked me for gp Monday morning. He prescribed metformin and a meter test strips. I returned 2 weeks later with meter readings of my own explained by nurse pre Dr appointment. I think Dr requested blood tests too so all received by 2wks for nurse appointment. I just saw nurse til I was referred to endo due to hormone disorder and depression. Endo was assisting my infertility as I was originally on metformin for PCOS at old drs, different region too.
I managed my diabetes on metformin until 5yrs later when I needed insulin for my first pregnancy. After labour I needed more support to manage my numbers (hba1c). 2nd pregnancy made management even more difficult.
Now unable to walk without 4 different painkillers. Which I'm hoping temporary, 2yrs of pain is enough for anyone to bare.

Oh I am sad you are a n such a pain , you really fight to get better , hope you’ll get that operation soon, why won’t they give it to you right away ?

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh I am sad you are a n such a pain , you really fight to get better , hope you’ll get that operation soon, why won’t they give it to you right away ?
I wondered that too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes definitely from a heart attack to losing a limb now in recovery. I’m 49 and the last 2 years have been hell.
Oh @Catyroo. Please feel free to join us in Type2 life if you hv type2. Your very welcome whichever type but type1s hv some great threads too.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I used to keep my BS under control. But now I am feeling bad

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely from a heart attack to losing a limb now in recovery. I’m 49 and the last 2 years have been hell.
Hey @Catyroo , welcome to the forum. Your profile doesn't say what type you are, and I usually steer clear of T1's and their introductions because I often stick my foot in my mouth with T2 advice... (I'm a T2, obviously). So before I say anything else I'll just say you're commenting on a thread that is rather old. You'd be well off starting one for yourself, you'd get more replies that are of use to you. Is there anything we can do to help?

I hope you'll feel better soon, and I'm sorry diabetes had such a horrible, permanent impact on your life. May your recovery be a speedy one!
Jo

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hope I don't regret saying this but I think I'm becoming resilient to tramadol+paracetamol (for pinched nerves). I'm off to bed to stretch out and recoup some sleep. Had a restless night. Little one too.
I'm shattered. Feel im losing weight again as wrists are looking skinny.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Tramadol. I had that once for a very sore neck. Blew my head off. Not having that stuff again.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Diabetes and insulin taking stops me drinking alcohol recklessly. So I guess diabetes has saved my liver getting far worse. As a ladette in my teens and early 20s.
I don't miss alcohol. I prefer manageable bgs on insulin therapy.
Weight loss can come with alcohol but I prefer a safe weight loss ruitine.
My 2 siblings don't hv diabetes but overeat from nuturing being a bit out. Although they use alcohol to keep from being morbibly obese.
May hv worse livers? Maybe

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes has absolutely NOT ruined my life, rather it has enhanced it. I keep my blood sugar in normal range by paying attention to what I eat and learning to estimate pretty accurately how much insulin to take. I have come to know myself more for it. I sympathize profoundly with all those who don't have the determination I do. I'm not bragging but I do feel pleased that I have taken good grip of all this.

Reactions: Kim Possible