Numbers - Focus - The Spiral of Gloom

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pondering my progress ....early in the year i had a HBA1C test it was 53 i had been ill with a flu type thing a bit before test so i felt that may have caused my HBA1C to go up a bit. I asked to have another test which was agreed for Sept or Oct time. However i felt that i too had lost the focus - so began testing again and once again
was struck by for me its totally a numbers focus. I am hoping the next HBA1C TEST will show an improvement
but recently the cravings,hankerings have surfaced - however one of my own tests the other day showed the
lowest number i ever have had (my immediate thought its wrong,its the monitor) numbers and tests take me
back to schooldays....way back numbers then tests then would cause the spiral of Gloom to descend.

Now i am trying to work the numbers... but i am craving a slice of toast. I shall keep going and to all those who
struggle with numbers of any sort blood pressure,cholesterol,weight...i have total empathy. If others love numbers and have a simple way to make them work for them....the 1day.7day average on test monitor for instance does anyone keep a record of those numbers?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My fbg readings have been disappointingly high recently, as have my post evening meal readings.
But my pre-evening meal readings are good, usually in the 5s.
I do look at my 7,14, 30 and 90 day averages on my bg meter which aren't great, but not too bad.
Currently my 90 day average is 6.7 mmol/L.
I am going to try harder during September to lower it as I'm due for 12 month HbA1c test at beginning of October.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I record all my numbers in the MySugr app (as well as my own spreadsheet). After you have input enough readings it provides an estimated HbA1c. Whilst I’ve found that it is always a little bit different from my lab tests it’s good for showing trends.
I avoid taking much notice of the 7, 14, 30 day averages in my meter as they will contain errors, such as not washing hands properly and random friends and family who asked me to check their blood sugar!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Numbers.. love 'em help me keep focussed on the important things like eyes and toes..

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pondering my progress ....early in the year i had a HBA1C test it was 53 i had been ill with a flu type thing a bit before test so i felt that may have caused my HBA1C to go up a bit. I asked to have another test which was agreed for Sept or Oct time. However i felt that i too had lost the focus - so began testing again and once again
was struck by for me its totally a numbers focus. I am hoping the next HBA1C TEST will show an improvement
but recently the cravings,hankerings have surfaced - however one of my own tests the other day showed the
lowest number i ever have had (my immediate thought its wrong,its the monitor) numbers and tests take me
back to schooldays....way back numbers then tests then would cause the spiral of Gloom to descend.

Now i am trying to work the numbers... but i am craving a slice of toast. I shall keep going and to all those who
struggle with numbers of any sort blood pressure,cholesterol,weight...i have total empathy. ?

i too use the meter, and monitor on mysugr
and i don't let others use, so i like to think i'm honest with myself by
checking those scores to look for the trend

but i also make a physical note on side of fridge for each morning FBG
no real benefit apart from it's easy, it's where i test each morning so its to hand
and it's a nice quick visual check.

craving mmhh.
i get those, but only have good choices in the fridge now.
family fridge, but rarely any carb filled goodies, thank god.
Peckish it's cheese, slice of chorizio, double cream n jelly if pushed.

Good luck moving forward

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If only toast will do - Livlife bread is 4 gm per admittedly rather small slice.
It seems to make good sandwiches too.

Reactions: jjraak

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

struggle with numbers of any sort blood pressure,cholesterol,weight...i have total empathy. If others love numbers and have a simple way to make them work for them....the 1day.7day average on test monitor for instance does anyone keep a record of those numbers?
I'm currently heavily monitoring but I'm on insulin so it would be dangerous, for me not to know what insulin is doing to me after a major operation.
We are all different.
I understand the monotony of 6 tests per day. I will enjoy the less stringent monitoring regime once things settle down. I've only be relaxed in testing when my numbers were consistent on metformin early days. Pre diagnosis wasn't monitored but I lost on average 2st on it. I regained that and more in a IVF cycle, hence a pregnancy test failed me. No development occurred.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ten little fingers and Ten little toes.

And I would like to keep it that way.

Counting the numbers on my meter will help me with that ambition I hope.

Reactions: Robbity and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I get an unexpectedly high reading (high for me) these days I just shrug, record it, and move on.
This morning, after 5 years of fasting levels averaging around 5.2, I got a 5.8. I was a bit taken aback. My highest in well over 5 years, but I just sighed and moved on. No point in worrying.

Reactions: Prem51

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi, It is still early days for me, I haven't even had my first follow-up Hba1c results yet (post the confirmation of diagnosis one).
I am doing LCHF and for me this isn't a diet (though I have lost just over 10% of body weight). It is a lifestyle because I know that there is no such thing as a 'cure' for T2D. If you go back to eating high carb meals then it will return no matter who long you have controlled it!

I love my eyes and toes much more than I love carbs - LOL !

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

I'm fortunate in that I don't really need to focus on anything these days. I eat what I want when I want. No cravings. The numbers seem to take care of themselves. I trust my body to respond well to real human food. Nature takes care of the rest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I placed much importance on individual readings, I would screw myself up til my brain burst.
Over the last 3 weeks I have had fasting readings anywhere from the low sixes up to the 11s, with most of them being in the 8s.

Why?
An ongoing virus and chest infection.

I just shrug and accept that life isn't always going to look like I want it to, while being absolutely certain that my diet is currently the best that I can achieve while being sustainable.

When I am free of virus, I will reassess the numbers, and decide if 'sustainable' will need adjustment. ;)