newby question about diabetic related fatigue

aard

So I’m probably diabetic my h1abc keeps swinging above and below 6.5 so not officially diabetic.

One of the symptoms I have read is fatigue, but this is a very vague term.

I have been suffering fatigue, but more mental similar to like when you don't get any sleep and you just want to lay down your head. I’m always finding it hard to concentrate and sometimes i just have to lay down for an hour and do nothing, not even energy to watch tv.

Does this sound like the sort of fatigue you get with diabetes? Ive had tests for loads of other things and been to sleep centre and nothing showed up bad so I’m wondering if this might be fatigue from diabetes. The doctors say no because I’m only officially pre-diabetic and they say you don't get diabetic symptoms when you're prediabetic. Not sure i believe this as I have nearly every diabetic symptom.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bear in mind reference “normal” ranges are measured from everyone, sick and well, old and young for many tests. It takes no account of where your personal optimal level is. The nhs levels for many tests are lower than other organisations see as optimal and many still allow for symptoms at the lower ends despite not being diagnosable. Fatigue is a symptom of almost everything that’s not optimal from stress, lack of sleep, minor hormone or vitamin discrepancies all the way through to the most serious concerns. The blood tests you have had rule out the serious worries but perhaps some tweaking could make a lot of difference.

And a fair few prediabetic members have reported symptoms so I would take it as gospel that it’s not possible.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So I’m probably diabetic my h1abc keeps swinging above and below 6.5 so not officially diabetic.

An hba1c of 6.5 corresponds to an average blood sugar of 7.8, which is at the top end of "normal". So assuming that your blood sugar levels vary a bit, it's quite possible that you are going highish on occasion, which could cause diabetic fatigue.

But honestly, as @helensaramay already said, the only way to tell is to buy a blood sugar meter and test. (UK doctors don't encourage prediabetics or T2s to buy a meter because the NHS doesn't want to pay for the strips.) It's also easy, once you've been told that you are diabetic, to assume that every symptom of illness you have is caused by your diabetes. This really isn't the case, so I would also strongly suggest that you have a chat to your doctor about your symptoms. Non-diabetics get tired too.

@Rachox has some good current info on meters. The most important thing is the cost of the strips....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @EllieM

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had that sort of fatigue before being diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have a CPAP machine now and that fixed it in a few days.

aard

hi thxs for the replies my levels range from 6.4 to 6.6. I usually have the h1ab test done which I fail snd then i get a second test which i then pass, pattern repeats. Probably because if fail first i improve my diet.

I have so many symptoms, need to urinate frequently, nerve problem in big toe, hypos,feeling sick if it sugary stuff, fatigue, constant thirst etc.

I have been to a sleep centre and they said my sleeping is perfect, ive had blood tests for deficiencies in other areas all ok. The only thing left is diabetes.

I did the prick blood tests and nothing spiked my blood levels even milk chocolate and coke! The doctor said this was because i was prediabetic.

I find the term fatigue so vague as myself have diff types of fatigue depending on dif things.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi thxs for the replies my levels range from 6.4 to 6.6. I usually have the h1ab test done which I fail snd then i get a second test which i then pass, pattern repeats. Probably because if fail first i improve my diet.

I have so many symptoms, need to urinate frequently, nerve problem in big toe, hypos,feeling sick if it sugary stuff, fatigue, constant thirst etc.

I have been to a sleep centre and they said my sleeping is perfect, ive had blood tests for deficiencies in other areas all ok. The only thing left is diabetes.

I did the prick blood tests and nothing spiked my blood levels even milk chocolate and coke! The doctor said this was because i was prediabetic.

I find the term fatigue so vague as myself have diff types of fatigue depending on dif things.
Ranging between 6.4 and 6.6 isn't quite.... A range. I take it that's only fasting blood glucose tested, not before a meal, and an hour, and two hours after the first bite. If you spike, that could explain fatigue. If your bloodsugars return to normal that's all nice and whatnot, but if the spike is really high before it comes back down.... Could influence how you're feeling.

Might want to try LCHF and see how you feel then. (Though you can experience fatigue due to that for a few days too. That passes though).